Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:57:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Prussian Cuirassiers  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Oldboy

• Librarian
Prussian Cuirassiers
« on: May 29, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »
Dear all,
I have a book by C A Sapherson - Armies of 1870, in which he states that the 2nd and 6th Cuirassiers wore a yellow metal cuirass. Does anyone know if this was worn in the war of 1866 too. I would like to paint two regiments and the idea of the yellow metal for one is very appealing, although conversely I would like to be accurate. Any help gratefully received.
Also any observations, web sites or books for 1866 also welcome.
thank you
Frank

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Prussian Cuirassiers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 04:37:39 PM »
I have a book from 1980 (my Napoleonic days) called Uniforms of the World. It confirms that the 6th wore both a yellow metal helmet and cuirass. The 2nd wasn't mentioned. The exact date of when they changed to that is not mentioned, however.

Offline Oldboy

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 05:16:25 PM »
Thank you Ray
That’s a start. Chances are I will go for it anyway unless anyone says it wrong. I’m afraid I know little of the period at the moment. But working on it

Offline Oldboy

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 06:24:38 PM »
In answer to my own question and for anyone who is interested, I have found a site called kaisersbunker.com this has a wealth of relevant Prussian info. Still reading through, it is certainly a gem.
F

Online vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 06:27:02 PM »
Dare anyone to prove otherwise.  :D

I have SYW grenadiers with standards. Yes, they did not carry them. They came in the packs and if they weren't used the units would be a figure short. And it looks good.

Also, my British Fusiliers for the AWI have bearskin caps. Not right but look good. So there.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 06:29:42 PM »
Chances are I will go for it anyway unless anyone says it wrong.

There were a lot of uniform changes going on at this time, mostly minor. I believe at worst the change happened in 1867, so I'd go for it.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 08:33:20 PM »
I have the (excellent) book ”Armies of Bismarcks Wars, Prussia 1860-67” by Bruce Basset-Powell. It contains great details of all uniforms and confirms that Cuirassier Reg 2 and 6 had breastplates made of Tombak which is a brass like yellow alloy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:35:06 PM by traveller »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 09:24:44 PM »
I have the (excellent) book ”Armies of Bismarcks Wars, Prussia 1860-67” by Bruce Basset-Powell. It contains great details of all uniforms and confirms that Cuirassier Reg 2 and 6 had breastplates made of Tombak which is a brass like yellow alloy.

Nice to know.

You may get a PM or 2 one day...  ;)

Offline Oldboy

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 05:26:23 AM »
Thank you Traveller, I will search out this book and thank you to everyone else. In truth no body actually sees my painted armies, but I get very anal about accuracy. So much so that I have been known to sack a project because either my painting, or in some cases, the casting; is inaccurate.
Always been a fan of German unification wars. Sort of Napoleonics with better weapons. Its a a pity that there appears to be little appetite for these.
Also as a final irony, it will take me considerable longer than seven weeks to build forces for the seven weeks war!
F

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 08:17:04 AM »
Nice to know.

You may get a PM or 2 one day...  ;)

You are welcome ;)

My main interest is the 1864 Schleswig War so if you need details on the Danish army I think I can oblige  ;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 11:45:39 AM »
Always been a fan of German unification wars. Sort of Napoleonics with better weapons. Its a a pity that there appears to be little appetite for these.

I think there are a couple reasons for this.

First, in comparison to wars such as the ACW and Napoleonics, uniforms are fairly limited and standardized. Not saying that there isn't lots of differentiation, it is just that in comparison, the other wars offer much more options.

The second reason is that the Wars for German Unification were sharp clashes, quickly decided. So again one is limited in re-fighting various battles and what-if's.

Interestingly enough, when I attended The Navy War College, these wars were heavily studied, more than any other war than I can think of (with the exception of the war in the Pacific). Bismarck's genius of being able to isolate his enemy and annihilate them without provoking greater conflicts while achieving his political aim (unification) sets him apart as an extraordinary leader.

It's been quite awhile since I have done much work with massed armies though that is how I started wargaming, with both the ACW and Napoleonics. If Leon from Pendraken can get my order processed, I might just try it one more time.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:48:05 AM by Ray Rivers »

Offline tom_aargau

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 07:38:07 AM »
I believe it is a little more complex. Went back to Knötel "Uniformkunde" and some other sources.

KR2 Officers and NCOs had golden (tombak) cuirasses, other ranks iron (steel).  All (officers, NCOs, other ranks) had steel helmets.

KR6 Officers and NCOs had golden (tombak) cuirasses, other ranks iron (steel).  All (officers, NCOs, other ranks) had golden (tombak) helmets.

Only Gardes du Corps had golden cuirasses for other eanks.

Hope this helps.
Tom
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:09:35 AM by tom_aargau »
There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today...turn two points to port.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 07:55:46 AM »
Tom has the right info. I checked again and Basset-Powell actually only comment on the NCO´s having a tombak cuirass, no comment on the rank and file. Sorry for misleading you..

Offline tom_aargau

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 08:10:45 AM »
Just saw that I typed two times KR2. The second one actually refers to KR6. Sorry about that.

Offline Oldboy

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »
Many thanks to all of you. You have uncovered details I doubt I would have found. I don't think I will try to depict NCOs, but I am pleased to be heading in the right direction.
Also I have ordered the book 'Armies of Bismarck', and will use this as a main source. I have other books like the Sapherson and I am enjoying delving into 1866.
F