Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:50:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Peninsular Allies - Light Dragoon….& lunch!  (Read 20975 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Peninsular Allies - Light Dragoon….& lunch!
« on: May 29, 2020, 04:36:44 PM »
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=79452.0

Separate thread to the French Army build up for Venta de Pantalones ( see the thread link above) as I will be doing mostly scenery, buildings first and boards later.

I have the nice Spanish villa from Grand Manner before he priced us mere mortals out by only selling painted!  That will be getting paint shortly.

I have just been advised my Empress order for walls is en route so will do both at the same time.

After that, if I can get hold of any Grand Manner stuff I will, otherwise, I am of a mind to make some of my own.  I fished out my hurst arts pantile mould  (that was close, predictive text wanted to put panties!).  I am looking for a suitable example of a building or farm which I will use as inspiration for my first model.

To help me in this regard, I found my copy of Touching History, Issue 1 - Peninsular War by Paul Darnell.  Chuffed because sadly now out of print.

I also ran down to Homebase today to buy the Sandtex and Homebase paints he recommends for his models (got most but couldn’t source a couple). 

I am not intending to start my own Allies army for the Peninsular (yet!) , I have enough enemies converging on me thanks, but in order to teach  myself the rules, I need a few targets which I consider “scenics” for the time being....

Just so happens on getting home from Homebase, these Highlanders were on my doormat.

Having seen HasBeen’s rude Scots, I have ordered a few of those too.  Couldn’t resist.

So, slow burner but somewhere to throw up hopefully a little interest.

A few other bits I’d like to do in time....a nice olive grove with small versions of my jungle trees, ie wire twists and latex covered.  I would also like to tackle a bridge and some defensive walls....but that’s a long way off yet.

Edit:  Jump forward three pages to see how this evolved into a slightly larger Allied Project  :?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 07:57:13 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Buildings and other stuff for Venta de P.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
Good luck with this Digits.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:51:37 PM »
Cheers Peter, I may b3 looking to you for help yet....

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 11:34:19 AM »
Stuck the roofs in place on the villa.  Before I can add paint, I have filled any significant gaps.

This is also the size of tree I will be making for this project.  I think they are passable for olive trees at this height.  I will figure out what foliage to use in good time....

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »
Good start :-* :-* :-*

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 11:49:52 AM »
Nice piece!  :-*

Will certainly claim a prize position on any gaming board!

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 11:50:59 AM »
Lovely looking model  8)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 12:09:59 PM »
It’s from Grand Manner.  Managed to buy it before he went painted model only.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »
Ok, I should have been working on the French battalion in the background, but I couldn’t help cleaning up these Scots ready for priming and painting.

First unit of Front Rank I’ve cleaned up.  Not bad minis, I’m just worried one unit won’t be enough to practice on!  Very much depends how demented I get painting their kilts, but will probably have to do a Brigade of them to be more useful.   Only saving grace is they can be leant out to the guys to bolster their force I suppose.

Now, who stocks acrylic tartan paint?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 08:11:55 AM »
I like the villa building complex, very Spanish-like!
Eager to see it finished! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Buildings and other stuff for Venta de P. - big man!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 11:30:18 PM »
Cheers, all in good time.  The walls just arrived So will start applying paint as soon as weather permits.

Meanwhile, in a small departure from painting Frenchies, I decided to paint the brigade commander for what will be my combined Highlanders / Portuguese brigade.

Meet Brig. Scot McShortbread!

To be fair, I’ve never painted tartan before (couldn’t find the paint!) and my eyes ain’t what they used to be so I have simplified it to this...works for me.

First Front Rank mini I’ve painted....pretty good mini.  I noticed though there are too many pleats in the infantry kilts compared to Perry / warlord / victrex etc...but still, rather nice minis....I may just set about them next...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:38:33 PM by Digits »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 07:47:02 AM »
Cool! He came out nice! I don't know if you could paint a tad different color the harness so that it makes more contrast.

For olive trees my wargaming buddy Miltiades used this kind of hard lichen we have here.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 08:02:38 AM »
They are quite effective - thanks, I may play with lichen see how it looks.

The harness is a little better in daylight.  Tbh...I do all my harnesses the same colour, and it looks ok on the lighter horses!  ;)

Please remember, I want to build a wargaming army...I’m not the worlds most gifted painter, I do what’s expedient to get it on the table. 

For example, I read LOTS of tutorials on painting tartan.  Nearly all were aimed at painting a few single minis by talented folk with sharp eyes and very steady hands.

I know mine would be bloody awful if I try to copy, hence my simplified scheme here which will be replicated on my first unit.  If I’m honest, considering this is effectively a “training” brigade for me to practice solo against, I’m not even sure why I chose kilted troops!  ;D

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 09:38:21 AM »
The tartan looks good to me. Congratulations on finding an efficient way to paint it so it looks good on a war gaming table.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 10:01:12 AM »
The tartan looks good to me. Congratulations on finding an efficient way to paint it so it looks good on a war gaming table.

+1!