Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Peninsular Allies - Light Dragoon….& lunch!  (Read 20980 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Buildings and other stuff for Venta de P. - big man!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »
The tartan looks good to me. Congratulations on finding an efficient way to paint it so it looks good on a war gaming table.

absolutely - very effective. Looks great.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Buildings and other stuff for Venta de P. - big man!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 02:05:16 PM »
Cheers guys, really appreciate it!

So these are the walls from Empress Miniatures.  I think I want 6 more pieces to fill the back.  Unfortunately, the doors don’t really fit properly and the single doors only have detail on the one side.  So, I will simply make some balsa doors to suit.

I like them though.  I will need to distress a couple of corner pillars (I bought a few anyway) to match a broken wall ending or so, but they are good.  Once painted, I will add a few climbing vines etc to give them some variety.

Started on the wire armatures for about 8 or so of the olive trees last night and I have some poplars somewhere for a front “drive”.  Another building in the compound would be cool.

Bitter chocolate

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:16:24 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Buildings and other stuff for Venta de P. - Highlanders
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 11:48:34 AM »
What was I thinking?!!!!

Painting highlanders is not good for your sanity!   I don’t care how simple I’ve made the tartan....there is still too much of it!  And the socks....!

I will need a straight jacket before this lot are done.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Really not the easiest figures I’ve ever attempted...in fact, the hardest I think.

Just need a few tufts.  Made life very difficult for myself.  I cut and stuck the flag poles to the figures thinking the flags would be the same as the French in size.  Seeing as the flags landed on my doormat this lunchtime, it then dawned on me, they were a lot bigger....was tricky sticking them in!  Literally fit with a millimetre to spare!  Flags by GMB, miniatures Front Rank.

Still, one down, a few to go.  I want to do one more regiment in kilts, marching.  Probably 92nd Gordon Highlanders as I can use my generic kilt!  Then I want a Scott’s regiment in trousers and stovepipe with hat band, a bit like the chap in this picture.  Maybe 71st (though I think they were light infantry?).  The brigade will be finished off with a few battalions of Portuguese.

I have a few rude Scots From Black Hussar to mix in to another Front Rank (new convert!) Unit and I have a set of mounted officers from Brigade games Which also include a Highlander Sapper to add in for a little variety.

I’m sure I can have one of the mounted officers leading my eventual stovepipe regiment to give it a little Scots flavour.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 09:19:36 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
And with grass!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Blimey!  :o

Those are excellent!  :-*

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Cheers Ray, glad you like them!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
VERY NICE :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Job well done.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Cheers fellas.  Was worried these would finish me off!

Now I can’t wait to do the next lot!  Will need to wait until Father’s Day at least.

Ok, back to the French.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Peninsular Scenics & a Highland Brigade - 42nd Painted.
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
Question / request.

As well as setting the scene for our target battles around Venta de Pantalones, I also intend to do a few bits and pieces to play smaller skirmishes, and to that end have ordered some minis from Brigade Games to start it off.

One scenario I think lends itself to an interesting gaming opportunity, is based on the Sharpe’s Rifles episode where they have to get the Banner of Blood to the chapel at Torre Castro.

Now, I know the episode was most likely filmed in the Crimea or some such spot, but I’m trying to find images of the chapel they used for filming.  So far I’m struggling to even come up with stills from the program.  Can anyone please help?

Ta

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 10:38:55 AM »
Lovely figures and buildings, tartan is always tricky, good job.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2020, 04:37:58 PM »
My unit of Highlanders for the Sudan still waits for me to get the courage to attempt a tartan.  Your unit looks great. 
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2020, 04:48:57 PM »
Thanks guys.

I know what you mean...every tutorial I read had you trying to paint very thin lines into the colour stripes.  All that seems to happen from what I can tell in those with authentic looking tartan paint schemes, is they make the cheques and pattern unrealistically large which kinda spoils it for me, lovely though their tartan pattern looks.  Plus, they really only seem to get that effect on kilts that are modelled flatter than these.

I am too old with unsteady hand and poor eyesight.....I decided to stop at this stage and I’m happy with them.  I will use exactly the same for my Gordon highlanders too!   Yellow facings etc will be the differentiator for me, not the kilt.

Offline IronDuke596

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2020, 07:53:02 PM »
I really like the way you have painted your tartan too. So it begs the question, what is your simplified tartan painting technique?