Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:42:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685058
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Peninsular Allies - Light Dragoon….& lunch!  (Read 20728 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Re: Peninsular Scenics - and an Allied Division - Church
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2020, 06:23:46 PM »
I remember years ago at the Leeds Armouries (Fiasco?) Wargames show, they had a Demi culverin (Maybe even a culverin but I don’t quite remember)outside the gates  when it was a grass and stoned car park.  They were going to fire on the hour, every hour.  I’d seen a lot of cannons fired in the knot but this was a beasty!

I know the guy that owns that gun, it's a saker. He had it cast and proofed in Birmingham (from memory) - it's the real deal, a fully functional modern reproduction of a Saker. He used to transport it about the place by winching it onto a purpose rigged flat bed three ton truck.

He has a great anecdote about the police coming to visit him regarding his gun license and to inspect the contents of his gun cabinet.

When the police counted the weapons, various muskets and the like, he was two short. They asked him where the missing guns were and he told them, quite openly, that they were not in a cabinet but, they were safely locked up and secured in his garage.

It's a big deal not keeping guns in steel cabinets (gun safes) in the U.K. and the officers were not amused. They pointed out that he was committing an offence, he might be facing criminal charges, and that the two weapons in his garage would be immediately confiscated. He asked them what they had come in. They said a panda car.

He led them to the garage, opened up the door to reveal two large cannon, a  saker and a falconet. All told about two tons of shot gun - because you can hold a smoothbore cannon under a shotgun licence in the U.K.

Needless to say, the officers saw the funny side. They told him to close the garage, advised he fitted a burglar alarm to it. and then drove off. No more was heard on the matter.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:33:36 PM by olicana »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2020, 08:28:45 PM »
Ha!  I can understand why I was confused, similar size to Demi culverin.  Made a lovely bang for sure!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2020, 11:33:19 AM »
Serious progress!

Ok, all the clay is on.  I can now start to get a feel for the finished model.

I still need to sort out the innner windows of the tower top.

When it dries, I will Tidy up the mortar lines, and render the outer plaster With a stipples mix of pva and pollyfilla, leaving telltale brick where it has fallen.  I will also then work on the door and rear roof Woodwork.  I think that needs to wait until the plaster is done.

Casting the roof parts this afternoon.  They will take a few days to dry properly I dare say.

Going to add a tree as you can see to make it a bit more “alive” and I will probably add a little climbing ivy to the painted model in time.

I thought I had a few clay pots etc somewhere for clutter and I need to find an old piece of jewellery with Jesus on the cross and  Mary figurine (edit) found both on e-bay)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 12:13:20 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »
Looking good, keep it up.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »
Will there be a small bell in the tower?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2020, 06:06:11 PM »
That's coming together well  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2020, 06:09:00 PM »
Looking good - one of those terrain pieces that could have plenty of other uses as well.

:)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2020, 05:51:05 AM »
love it, so much character.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2020, 05:56:03 AM »
You applied the clay nicely, following with great interest!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2020, 09:09:42 AM »

Thanks hombres!

Ok, spent last nigh sorting this last bit of work before I plaster the model.  The window arches in the top of the tower were an easy cop out for standing minis into it but a tad unrealistic I think.  Adding this “stonework” I think will look better and I will have the opening roof for access to minis.

Simple card with dowelling, which when plastered will give card strength and make it fit in with build.  I will plaster around the inside too before adding floor planks.

James, there may we’ll be a bell in there somewhere, but I need to keep access for minis.

I found a mini statuette of the Virgin Mary which I will dress up and place near the front door.  I also found a cheap crucifix with Jesus on it to mount on the wall of the front of the church.  Both on eBay so should get them in a few days.

With luck, I may start the plaster later..  for now, lots of real life work!  :'(

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: Peninsular Scenics - and an Allied Division - Church build
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2020, 12:58:31 PM »
That is some lovely scratchbuilding and model making, that church. Plus, a nice read and inspirational for napoleonics in general.

Though, where do those roof tiles come from? They look perfect for buildings seeing as they come loose! Or did you cast them yourself Digits?
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Peninsular Scenics - and an Allied Division - Church build
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2020, 01:51:37 PM »
Hurst Arts mould mate, these were cast a while back but all I have, about to cast some more.  They are rather nice I will grant you.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:48:58 AM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Peninsular Scenics - and an Allied Division - Figure Comparison 95th
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2020, 03:55:32 PM »
A figure comparison for you.  Never put one of these up before but I just received my Brigade Games order.  I was very excited because other people had put up reviews leading me to think they’d be a shoe-in to sit alongside my Perry minis.

Here from left to right...Warlord, Front Rank, Perry, Brigade Games, Brigade Games

Well, the obvious thing is Warlord (though I like the mini) are too big for me.  Front rank a little chunky and not a big fan of gaiters, though I could convert them....Perry, spot on, but BG look anorexic ! 

The first BG is meant to be Harper.....a big lad in the show, smallest on parade here and you should see puny Sharpe!

Everyone often says Perry are more anatomically correct whereas others tend to err on the side of “heroic”.  BG minis height is ok, but they are a bit weedy!

I’m not worried about other minis I received, because they won’t need to sit alongside comparative minis, but I’m sad about these 95th.    Still, it has made up my mind, I will throw in a few characters from BG, but I will concentrate on Perry’s, plus I won’t buy my Cacadores from BG, they too will be Perry.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:51:35 AM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2020, 08:25:30 PM »
Did you order a whole unit, or just a few test ones?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2020, 08:36:13 PM »
Not too many thankfully!