Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686439
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 805
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Not bad for our pokey little seaside resort!  (Read 2068 times)

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Not bad for our pokey little seaside resort!
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:32:21 AM »

It is fascinating to see, I'm down the Yacht Club end of the beach most mornings, and it's just appeared from beneath the sands. I'm going to have a root around to see wot I can find out about the aircraft and it's crew.

:)

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: Not bad for our pokey little seaside resort!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 10:51:38 AM »
Thanks Harry I shall keep an eye on this thread, as the Beaufighter was one of my favourite WW2 planes (among many :-*lol

Ta

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 11:16:57 AM »
Parts of North Coates is still used for things aeronautical, blokes floating about on parachutes, with propellers strapped on their back mostly! But most interesting is wot's happened to the old airfield gun-butts, all Raff 'dromes had these, used for harmonising aircraft guns and for the Raff Regiment lads to play with their popguns. North Coates Butts as it's now known is one of Lincolnshire's premier shooting clubs, outside the clubhouse is a bent and buckled Beaufighter prop. It'd be pretty good if we found out it came from that kite on the beach.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 11:29:45 AM »
Parts of North Coates is still used for things aeronautical, blokes floating about on parachutes, with propellers strapped on their back mostly! But most interesting is wot's happened to the old airfield gun-butts, all Raff 'dromes had these, used for harmonising aircraft guns and for the Raff Regiment lads to play with their popguns. North Coates Butts as it's now known is one of Lincolnshire's premier shooting clubs, outside the clubhouse is a bent and buckled Beaufighter prop. It'd be pretty good if we found out it came from that kite on the beach.

More than possible there is not much left is there?

Glen

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 07:08:51 PM »
Hey now, the wreck of the Vauxhall Victor is still there at least. Looks like WWII gaming might be off the table, but some geezers are a go.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing Harry. I grew up around this area and the bit that surprised me most was that Donna Nook is no longer an operational RAF station. I’m not sure why this surprised me but it did.

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 08:15:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing Harry. I grew up around this area and the bit that surprised me most was that Donna Nook is no longer an operational RAF station. I’m not sure why this surprised me but it did.
I don't know where you heard that, it's still RAF Donna Nook, I've been there loads of times on the range.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 08:17:47 PM »
I’m sure it was on one of the stories I read about this.

But I could have misread something

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 08:44:39 PM »
I’m sure it was on one of the stories I read about this.

But I could have misread something
Possibly, I read about it in the local news, it just mentioned North Coates as being an old base. Donna Nook has always made me laugh, it has a public footpath running through it, we'd be directing the jets, look round and there's a load of ramblers and seal watchers listening in! lol

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 09:03:06 PM »
I remember Bloodhounds @ North coates, also being buzzed by A-10s near Donna Nook.

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 10:19:27 PM »

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 10:41:04 PM »

Many's the time I've signed the Range Orders for an RAF 25m range, which invariably states that 'under no circumstances are automatic weapons to use selective fire' (i.e. fully automatic).  Yet at the end of the range are the old shackling-points where they would once hitch up the tails of Spits and Hurris and blaze away with eight MGs...  lol
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 10:24:46 PM »
One of the benefits of having friends in low places, memento from the wreck area before the big bang…

Nice to have this little gem in the Emporium, even though a couple of things about it, kind of prove it’s not from JM333 of 254 Squadron.