Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:20:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best kits/frames for kitbashing a warband?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline ChristianG_HH

• Lurker
Best kits/frames for kitbashing a warband?
« on: May 31, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »
Hello Frostgrave community,

I played my first game on Friday - and I have to say I'm pretty hooked (okay, of course it helps to win …).

I temporarily put my warband together from my SAGA crusaders - but I'm already thinking about building more something individual.

I would love to do this by kitbashing different plastic kits / frames - what do you think goes together particularly well?
What is not so good fit and/or proportion-wise?
Do you have "insider tips" for particularly interesting frames that you can also get individually?

Thanks in advance ...

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Best kits/frames for kitbashing a warband?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 05:09:20 PM »
Oh boy. You're in for quite a treat...

All of the Frostgrave and Oathmark plastics are (intentionally) fully interchangeable. Fireforge Historicals and Perry Miniatures plastics are  slightly smaller scale but can mostly be combined with a little forethought (or putty work). Fireforge fantasy (that's Forgotten World to you and me) is slightly larger than Frostgrave/Oathmark but also usable, with one or two minor exceptions. That's where I'd start for human Frostgrave warbands - those lines are huge and will give you hours and hours of modelling fun.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline ChristianG_HH

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 05:19:58 PM »
I‘ve been warned that older (Soldiers ...) and newer (Archipelago) frames don‘t fit too well proportion-wise.
Comments?

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 05:20:39 PM »
In addition to those noted above the Gripping Beast plastics are also a decent match

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 06:01:25 PM »
I‘ve been warned that older (Soldiers ...) and newer (Archipelago) frames don‘t fit too well proportion-wise.
Comments?
Just like anything they may need some fitting. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 03:21:41 PM »
The Ghost Archipelago crew are a little wonky in proportion yes. They are probably my least favourite of the Frostgrave kits, but they can work. Everything else North Star is real easy to kitbash really.

All of Tyr's advice is solid, check out his threads for some kitbashing inspiration.

The other kit that stands out is the Gnolls. They can exchange arms and weapons with Barbarians, but probably not much else.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 05:13:04 PM »
If you're a fan of gunpowder fantasy like I am, I'm happy to report that the Warlord 17th C (ECW/TYW) plastics are also a good match in fit and proportions to the Frostgrave plastics, so getting pistol-wielding wizards or flintlock-carrying gnolls is fairly straightfoward!

Wizards and such: http://www.warbard.ca/2019/04/24/the-trumpeter-salute-2019-haul/

Gnolls with guns: http://www.warbard.ca/2020/04/02/dogs-with-guns/

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 05:54:03 PM »
I would really recommend the Frostgrave Wizards mixed with the Oathmark Human Warriors, the cultist and Female Frostgrave Soldiers are also nice, but I think the older Frostgrave Soldiers box is starting to show its age...

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
I have sprue shots here (and some builds)
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/search?q=Frostgrave+sprue&max-results=20&by-date=true

Warlord Celt, Perry, Perry, Gripping Beast, Gripping Beast, Perry and Wargames Factory.
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2014/10/once-and-future-options.html

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 02:52:17 PM »
As the first step, I'd have a look a the kind of warband you want to build - the theme or style that most appeals to you. More fantasy, or more historical, and if the latter, what kind of period?
Quite some options are covered with a bunch of plastic sets, which is good as you probably want some variety in the amount of armour and weapons so that you can differentiate the troop types. The actual Frostgrave plastics obviously have most of what you want; they tend to be light on armour, but you can sculpt some chainmail from under the robes, or use some of your Crusader parts for example.
I've previously made a Renaissance Italian warband using Perry late medieval plastics (pretty much all the bits you could wish for), another Norse-themed one using Gripping Beast plastics (armoured Vikings and the unarmoured dark age guys, simply not using any crossbows which isn't that big of a disadvantage), and yet another one from the Warlord Games Celts (armour and unarmoured on one sprue, mostly melee focussed but I added some javelineers which are troops from one of the supplements).

Various manufacturers combine fairly well, but within a single range the compatability of scale and parts in general is typically very good. Victrix also has some nice kits with mixed armour and weapons (Germanics and Vikings come to mind), and you could go for the Oathmark sets too (including Elves and Dwarves - they may have no specific rules in Frostgrave, but precisely because of that you can use whatever you feel like!).

It may be worth looking for companies selling individual sprues (there's a good ebay seller for these too by the way) so that you're not stuck with 60 armoured troops, 60 unarmoured ones and 32 archers or so. I'd try to find a range that covers most of the things you want (two-handed weapons, armour, shields, bows and/or crossbows), but you don't necessarily need to have every option available. Daggers are easy to make, as are staffs from cut-down spears or so. You can even think of your wizards while deciding what troops to build - my Celts for example were of course led by druids (represented by the Witch school) who used their magic to create a lot of dense fog on the table, meaning I didn't need/want long-range weapons anyway, so it was fine that I didn't have suitable plastics for archers/crossbowmen.
~Ad finem temporum~