Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689522
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 54mm Tekumel: Heroes for A Band of Joyous Heroes  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
54mm Tekumel: Heroes for A Band of Joyous Heroes
« on: July 29, 2020, 03:40:00 PM »
A month or so ago I started tinkering with large scale miniatures: i.e. 54mm and above. The Lohwand Campaign, see another thread, is one such excursion, but before that I was making a band for Tekumel gaming.

See here: https://heroesoftheage.blogspot.com/2020/06/heroes-for-band-of-joyous-heroes.html

Moving to 54mm has certain advantages; for one, certain figures by other manufacturers are actually closer to the proper scale. The excellent Blood Wolves from Reaper are technically too large to proxy in 28mm scale (though I use them anyway!) In 54mm however, they are perfect! :-)

I went with some figures from Irregular Miniatures. Those pictured were my initial starting group. I've since received a few more but haven't had a chance to do much yet with them.

One thing I've discovered about "Toy Soldiers" is to be wary of the "scale". Perhaps it is because of my 28mm-is-the-one-true-scale focus so I knew what was what and how big - or small - figures are in relation to each other. Now, with the larger figures I am having to re-learn it all; I have yet to gain my "scale legs". Irregular Miniatures seems to be consistently 54mm to top of head. Others are sometimes called 54mm but measure more like 60mm. Still others are 60mm and are meant to be that way. Others - and here it might be eBay sellers who don't know what they are selling - are advertised by the height of the figure regardless of outrageous headgear or if it is standing on a rock.

As it is, I have decided to stick with "proper" 54mm - i.e. Irregular Miniatures top-of-head - for my Tekumel adventures, but go with 60mm (or possibly a mix) for my Lohwand Campaign.

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
Re: 54mm Tekumel: Heroes for A Band of Joyous Heroes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:52:54 PM »
Hey Sir B have you posted this over at little wars?  Pretty 100% 54mm over there I'm sure they'd be interested in your blog.

there's recently been discussion about where to find good wolves :)

I like your conversions looking forward to seeing the project progress

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 09:57:39 PM »
Thanks!

re. Little Wars? Is this on groups.io (i.e. formerly yahoo?) or on Facebook, or a separate forum altogether?

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 06:32:41 AM »
Thanks!

re. Little Wars? Is this on groups.io (i.e. formerly yahoo?) or on Facebook, or a separate forum altogether?

Little Wars Revisited is a 54mm forum: https://littlewarsrevisited.boards.net/
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 01:04:10 PM »
Ahhh...thanks for the link!  :)

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 08:39:17 PM »
More heroes for my party!

https://heroesoftheage.blogspot.com/2020/08/more-54mm-heroes.html

I'm filling out the ranks with more figures from Irregular Miniatures. True 54mm, base of foot to top of head.

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 04:54:13 AM »
I really like the idea of a party having a pack handlers and a baggage train I'd imagine you'd need a ton of gear!

As all my 54mm projects are hopelessly stalled at the moment i look forward to seeing yours :)

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 02:52:25 PM »
I had considered whether I should provide a palanquin to get the noble to the site and back!  lol

I tried that Little Wars forum but without any luck. I can view, but when I try to register it throws up some sort of "token" error. At the same time , in the upper right corner, it welcomes be back, displaying a logon name that I often use. I'm on one or two other Pro-boards, and maybe I'm already on the Little Wars one - I can't recall. I can view the messages but can't reply or open any attachments until I get the login sorted out. I didn't see any "contact us" link either.  :(

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 08:13:13 AM »
I had considered whether I should provide a palanquin to get the noble to the site and back!  lol

I tried that Little Wars forum but without any luck. I can view, but when I try to register it throws up some sort of "token" error. At the same time , in the upper right corner, it welcomes be back, displaying a logon name that I often use. I'm on one or two other Pro-boards, and maybe I'm already on the Little Wars one - I can't recall. I can view the messages but can't reply or open any attachments until I get the login sorted out. I didn't see any "contact us" link either.  :(

Try going in through the main ProBoards login page (https://www.proboards.com/login) - that will show you which forums you have associated with that particular login. I've had this problem because I had a ProBoards account for some forums, and then someone else set me up as a moderator on another with the same username but associated with a different email address. Going in via the main login and then choosing my forum is the only way that I can cope, because it's not possible to merge the accounts.

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 01:22:12 PM »
Thanks Ian, I'm in! I also discovered several boards I had totally forgotten about. Did you know there is an RE Howard board?!

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 02:06:10 PM »
A fan-made compilation of the entire Tekumel timeline, more-or-less, (I haven't attempted to verify it) is available here, for those interested:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=3C3B352979FA10BB!156713&ithint=file%2cdocx&authkey=!AAqFpLEQEMeCpfc