Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Building Red Skull Raceway *Demo Game 12/3* (Gaslands Terrain WIP)  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Da Bid Dabid

• Assistant
Working on a project I started a long time ago but hadn't done much. A huge gaslands post apoc raceway. There are 4 major sections; Start/Finish with stands, Container Yard, Junkyard, and rocky plateau Highway sections. I've decided to finish the first two which will give me a raceable board. Some quick overall shots and the next posts should have some better detail.

Don't mind the two smaller 15mm figures. It should fit closer to the about 20mm hotwheels/matchbox scale.

Next up to finish the modeling, the stands and start tower/main complex buildings!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 12:12:14 AM by Da Bid Dabid »

Offline clandaith

• Bookworm
    • The Fat Old Gamer
Re: Red Skull Raceway (Gaslands Terrain)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 04:40:10 PM »
That looks awesome!  Is the pink terrain a cut up file folder box? 

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Building Red Skull Raceway (Gaslands Terrain WIP)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM »
Nice work chopping up the Yaffa Block for terrain.  That looks great!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Online Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 10:57:53 AM »
Can't wait to see this finished, it's going to look awesome.

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 02:26:39 PM »
Da Bid Dabid is a robot!

Look at his robot face mirror reflection in the last picture.

Offline Hacksaw

• Bookworm
    • Hacksaw's Hobby Bunker - a vlog assortment
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 04:53:24 PM »
Looks great so far, I may have to unabashedly steal, err borrow some ideas.  ;)

Cheers!
The Way is Forward.

Offline Da Bid Dabid

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 01:30:13 AM »
11000101010000011110010101000001010101010...activating human forum protocol....0101010101010111100101

My plan was to next put up the finished pieces of the first section, alas I have not completed them (reopening work with a pandemic has become a real time sink!). The new plan is to post weekly updates showing progress of what is being done. Here we have the two terrain pieces that flank the start finish line on the track. A building complex with control tower and grand stands for the fans to watch.

The control tower is mostly finished, debating if I need to add an external ladder and a few little details like adding either rail or wire across the posts on the lookout top. It highlights the types of windows that will be used all around the board, mesh, boarded up, sheet metal covered, and the blank spots will be filled with mostly broken and a few intact glass panes after priming and painting is done. I just kinda kept adding as I went, a recurring theme in how I build stuff, until it looked pretty done.

The stands to this point came out pretty good. I need to add some entry stairs on the side and some sprue pieces in front to cover up foam and seams. I think the very front will feature some smaller ads or posters like the boards of a hockey rink. The upper "concrete back" will likely get some graffiti, and I am going to add at least two large billboards off the top flanking the center. The dead center I just liked the look of the shape and while those are just sitting there it kinda gives me a baseball stadium scoreboard vibe. I will likely add the name of the track or something to that effect that utilizes the shape of those pink pieces. Still not totally decided so suggest away!

Next update will hopefully be these finished and showing the fencing added to where they sit on the track at the start/finish line. Until next post my fellow fleshy humans.

Offline Da Bid Dabid

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 05:16:49 PM »
Weekly updates.... sure.

Despite that work is still getting done. I finally found a super cheap old toy to turn into my container crane so I'm happy to start working on that. A few elements need to be added still (some windows and scatter and such to be applied around other things being painted) but I hope to finish the first board half sooner rather than later.

The first half of the track, it will be able to be its own board and race circuit for smaller games. It should come together pretty quickly now that I figured out most of the elements I want on there.

The stands will have some fencing added in front of them, the foam needs to be roughed up a bit to look like concrete, and there are some sponsorship ads/banners that will be added to the front. So its going to mostly like this when it first gets painted and will slowly be added to as time goes on, if inspiration hits me, things like adding graffiti, debris, and even maybe some fans.

The tower building complex watches over the start/finish line for the races. Glass window and broken windows to be added after basecoats. I think the roof of the two story building could use a small access door or something, but there is a jump from the other board that lands on this building so I'm going to have to play a few games to make sure it is not too obstructive to play.

Just a street view of what the finish line looks like.

Really enjoying seeing it come together. Hopefully painting and the small details just keep that same motivation going.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 03:20:09 AM »
Da Bid Dabid is a robot!

Look at his robot face mirror reflection in the last picture.

Man once you've seen it ... it all makes more sense now!

Beautiful project  :-*

Offline Da Bid Dabid

• Assistant
Added "Red Skull Rock", some jumps, and placed the basic layout for a half board race.

Just need to hide the toy factor on the crane and add some little touches like fencing and road barriers and the first half will be ready for painting/racing.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Wow, this is absolutely awesome scratchbuilding!  :-*

Offline Da Bid Dabid

• Assistant
Re: Building Red Skull Raceway *7/11 Progress Pics* (Gaslands Terrain WIP)
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 12:11:31 AM »
I know its been over a year, but I faded to other projects before finding a group to play with post-pandemic. It's not completely done but here it is at 98% finished... at least the first half of the table. It makes a nice track for a demo game race!

More photos from the demo:
https://imgur.com/a/oQJGMHz

Offline verd

• Scientist
    • El Senyor Verd
Re: Building Red Skull Raceway *Demo Game 12/3* (Gaslands Terrain WIP)
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 11:28:04 AM »
Impressive work there.  :-*

Offline Binky

• Assistant
Re: Building Red Skull Raceway *Demo Game 12/3* (Gaslands Terrain WIP)
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2021, 05:07:25 PM »
Great job! I'll have to keep an eye out for some of those mini milk crates. :)