Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:30:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Samnites  (Read 6074 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: 15mm Samnites
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 06:07:30 PM »
Yeah, with WIP shots of larger forces I usually go with such group shots of the whole thing just so the overall progression gets visible. I also do that when figures are still WIP and I'm really not happy with what they look like individually. :D

I added that "full size image: ...." thing underneath the picture now, which I usually add on LAF. You can see the full sized version of the image if you click the link, which should make things a tiny bit easier to look at.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 09:52:35 AM »
Right, back to Samnites. Infantry's basically finished painting for now. Time for the horsemen. Not as many (naturally). 24 or so.

Main reason I dropped in now was to let you know that Infamy, Infamy is up for pre-order! I got nothing to do with it, I'm just a Lardy fanboy. :P

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product/infamy-infamy-theyve-got-it-all-infamy-bundle/

It's kinda like Sharp Practice Ancients. Which rather appeals to me. :D I'll make sure to pick it up. Maybe that'll help me getting at least some of those tons of Warlord Romans painted I got a few years ago....

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 07:23:20 PM »
Fantastic work! :o
Looking forward to se where this goes.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 12:15:07 PM »
Wow, that WIP photo is impressive. There are a lot of the beggars.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 11:40:29 AM »
@Steam Flunky: Aye, me too. :D

@Irregular Wars Nic: Thanks. A lot of them indeed. Last week I was as close to my breaking point as I hadn't been in years. Every single brush stroke had become a soul-sucking experience. Over the weekend I did some painting on my own figures (28mm, painted in an approach which I'm a bit more familiar with), got the spirits right up again.

Right, now I did some work on the cavalry. Detailwork on those chaps will be done once I got the infantry and horses based. So right now I'm putting the infantry on bases (I'm at 80 bases right now). Leaving them to dry now, then they get another layer of sand. Then I'll go about painting the bases, I suppose.

Already the infantry looks WAY better on these bases than on these bloody painting sticks. That helps keeping the motivation going.

Here's a quick snapshot (bit weird looking because I used my phone to make it) of just under the half of the bases:

Look at them. Standing there, all colourful and wargame-y looking. This is nice. You can see the top of the little cast-on standy things showing here and there, hence the second layer of sand/grit. That'll be the next step.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 04:22:01 PM »
They are going to look awesome when you put shields and weapons in their hands!

One question. Why do you use 2 layers of sand?

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 06:33:11 PM »
Because I'm a thorough son of a so-and-so.  8) Well, it's mainly because the first layer will fill up the gaps between the base and the cast-on standy thingies on the miniatures. The second (finer sand) layer will get on the tops of the standy thingies and fills gaps on the more coarse sand underneath and stuff. I don't know. I do several different ways of basing, and this time I went for this. :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:36:45 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2020, 07:17:18 PM »
Well... you are the pro, so you should know what you are doing. If it works... and you do damn nice stuff, that's cool.

For me, when I am finished painting the minis, I apply a bit of white glue to their metal base and add some sand. I then paint the sand in the same color of the base. The base of the mini is now complete and doesn't need any further attention. This really makes basing easy with multiple ranks. I then mount the miniatures and with a brush I heap a large enough amount of white glue such that it is the same height as the rest of the miniatures on the base. I only have to worry about filling the gaps between the minis and not the minis themselves. I then add sand.

I use a big plastic jar of white glue from a hardware store. Mine is 1 Kilo. This stuff is thick as snot so you can adjust the height or amount of glue quite easily. When it dries I have a nice surface all across the base and you can't tell where the mini base is.

Oh, it is important to note that with this method you need at least 2mm of base height or you will have trouble with warping.

It is pretty easy way to base my minis and it works very fast. Mine are pretty basic though...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:24:47 PM by Ray Rivers »

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 12:30:50 PM »
Yup, that's a very sound approach as well. I don't do two full layers of sand in this case; it's more like "main basing, then bits on top of the metal bases". Basically the same approach as yours if I read that right, just the other way around. :)  Very pretty Napoleon and staff too!

Well, I'm still doing base things and cavalry things and whatnot. Happy weekend!

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2020, 03:09:44 PM »
Well, it's mainly because the first layer will fill up the gaps between the base and the cast-on standy thingies on the miniatures. The second (finer sand) layer will get on the tops of the standy thingies and fills gaps on the more coarse sand underneath and stuff.

I'm a two layer man myself and for the same reason(s).

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 08:37:00 PM »
@Vexilia: yar, we all got our own approach, don't we. One of the cool things in miniature painting.

Right, after a little 'emergency' project I had to squeeze in I sat down and did four testers for the 15mm Samnites. Turns out there are no decals for those in 15mm. Freehand time!

Hope ye like'em! Also: Happy weekend!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 05:45:58 PM »
Damn!

Is that the best you can do?  ;)

;D

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2020, 07:36:19 PM »
@Ray Rivers: This isn't even my final form! The question is always "with how little can I get away?". ;) Well, it's a standard which makes sense in regards to the number of figures. Thing is, I have to paint close to 400 of these shields if I remember correctly. Scared already. I think October was talked about as a soft deadline. I've done 64 now (including the ones pictured). So far I'm doing batches of 16 shields and basically paint them one by one. I was thinking of maybe switching to doing batches of similar patterns and then mix them up, but I'm not sure if this sort of approach would work for me when doing shields. I assume I'll switch it up during the process every now and then and slowly slog my way through the whole pile of shields. So far I actually find it rather enjoyable to do, but I think I haven't gotten a feel for the actual number of shields that have to be done there. Maybe in between I'll stick'em on, add spears and finalize basing so I have fully done bases and get a better visual idea of things proceeding. Not sure. I'll let you know in time when it gets really grating and I get close to giving up. :D

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2020, 07:42:20 PM »
They are lovely, truely.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 09:56:54 PM »
You may not technically be enjoying the painting process, but you gave to love the outcome. Those are looking phenomenal!