Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:00:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Wargames fenonamumm...  (Read 2511 times)

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A Wargames fenonamumm...
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 05:46:47 AM »
I have grown to enjoy painting, very relaxing after a busy work week, not keen at all on kitbashing or making buildings etc, my games board has a mat I throw over it, all terrain is ready built and usually ready painted. I guess I am close to the description that Harry used in original post, not quite tho!! :)

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 07:40:12 AM »
I think there are a lot of people like this, though I don't know if they'd be considered actual wargamers.  Heaps of younger people who play stuff like Warhammer 40K to the exclusion of any other tabletop games express zero interest in any creative/hobby elements of the "hobby".

I don't mean this as an insult, but it's similar to people who buy an Xbox or Playstation to play one game only.  I wouldn't say they're actively interested in wargaming as a hobby, but they like 40K (maybe because their friends play it), and playing the tabletop game is the most common method of partaking in that interest.

I know several local players entirely happy to play with unpainted (sometimes unfinished) miniatures over the laziest/poorest terrain and it's of no concern to them.

I've noticed there's usually 1 or 2 "I'm just here because my boyfriend / friends are" types who are very similar. They're not invested in the hobby as anything more than a way to spend time with someone who is invested in it. I never understood it myself.

Warmachine used to have a big audience like this - When i worked in a store the players would come in to do tournements and some of them would just ask for a blank picnic table, then they'se lay out black paper "zones" for terrain and use empty bases as miniatures.
The privateer drive towards competitive play did alot to damage the idea of a holistic hobby in that community.

I've never heard of using paper models with warmachine but I remember the terrain becoming a problem. I wonder if we will see more 2D terrain appearing as more and more larger models are appearing in games. No one wants to try balancing their giant fire demon on a hill side.

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »
Back when the WWPD podcast was still being made (let's say 2012-13?) there was one of the crew who usually had his stuff painted and preferred to just play the game (Flame of War as I recall). It was quite a thing when he did begin to paint again. Even the guys who did paint weren't huge fans.

I myself used to play a guy who was afraid to mess up his figures so usually just played with them undercoated in black. Since I was new my guys were questionably painted, but it remained that I still made the attempt and slowly improved. These days everyone I play with paints their own stuff, even if they're playing a different game when one guy provides both sides, we all have our specialities. :)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
I myself used to play a guy who was afraid to mess up his figures so usually just played with them undercoated in black.

Best one yet, love it...
Paint 'em black so they don't look crap on the table, magic!!!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline warwell

• Assistant
    • Warwell's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 09:15:14 AM »
I think there are a lot of people like this, though I don't know if they'd be considered actual wargamers.

Why not? They are still playing games about war. War + gamer = wargamer.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »
A friend of mine mentioned a while back that his Dad had a collection of figures but had not painted any himself - all were commission painted.

Come to think of it I am not sure whether his Dad actually wargamed with them or whether they were just for display - therefore possibly falling into a separate sub-category of hobbyist: the pure Miniatures Collector!

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2020, 11:16:16 AM »
Best one yet, love it...
Paint 'em black so they don't look crap on the table, magic!!!

:-*

I'm ashamed to say I never thought of the irony. :P It was more that his dad painted him for him so they'd look good. The problem was that his dad (being actually the one making money to fund all this kid's warhammer) was around very little so there'd be one or two perfectly painted ones with say 15 undercoated ones. I was a kid too but had to fund this stuff myself - so always had less than the other kid, and the other guy's stuff always the elite troops (I had my plucky Empire full of normal dudes and he had High Elves, so you can imagine the problem). No amount of trying to bring points into the game would make him have less than his whole collection - so it was always an unfair fight. IGOUGO and Warhammer of all kinds was ruined for me as a consequence. He had good dice rolls as well, so he'd always go first, which meant the effective units of my army were always dead by the time I got to do anything.

There's a reason I'm part of a better group now.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2020, 02:16:26 PM »
In my little group of 4 we have a mix bag.

Gamer 1 (me): Prefers to play with painted figures, paints to a "good" table top standard, enjoys building and painting terrain and provides most if not all the terrain for the group.

Gamer 2: Is an artist (in real life as well) and paints to a very, very high standard. He prefer to play with painted figs but his production rate is low because he demands perfection. He has terrain but hasn't painted it in years.

Gamer 3: Loves to build and convert models and is very good at that aspect of the hobby. Keeps saying he's going to paint his stuff but it's been 20 years and so far he's painted one army to a three color minimum standard.

Gamer 4: Loves to play the game, loves to build lists and discover cool new combinations. Is a very good player. He's stuck his models together but has never shown the desire to paint a thing. His vast grey plastic hoard dominates the table but will never win the beauty pageant.

The variety of ways you can engage with this hobby is one of its best aspects. Yes, I would love to play every game on a cool table with painted miniatures on both sides but If I waited for that I'd play very few games.

The time spent with friends having fun and sharing a real experience far outweighs any other aspect of the hobby. 

Offline Aerendar Valandil

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6Shooters Wargames Club
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2020, 02:55:04 PM »
We have one at our club who seldom or never paints a mini. He pays others to paint his models or borrows, which is OK for all of us. Nice guy, nice gamer, nothing to complain about.