Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Inquisitor 2nd ed. project  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Inquisitor 2nd ed. project
« on: June 04, 2020, 01:23:19 PM »
I've been working on a project to play Inquisitor only much simplified.  It will use the War Cry rules more or less straight up. 

I've been putting together warbands for it and have the first one done.  This will be an Orthodox inquisitor from the Ordo Hereticus and his various hangers on.

So far there is no generic abilities card like there is in War Cry and I'm thinking about either leaving it out or making a generic psyker card.  This warband, as you might expect, has no psykers.

The symbols by the model indicates which abilities they are able to use from the list beneath.

The number in front indicates how many of each you get in the warband. So this warband has 8 models.  I still need to get pictures of the subjugator and his dog. 

1x Inquisitor &
M 4 T 4 W 20
Inferno pistol  R 12"  A 4 S 4 D 2/4
Powersword    R 1"   A 4  S 4 D 2/5

1x Priest #
M 4 T 3 W 10
Plasma pistol R 12" A 2 S 5 D 2/5

1x Subjugator *
M 4 T 4 W 12
Pistol R 12" A 2 S 3  D 1/3
Shock Maul R 1" A3 S 4 D 1/4

1x Cyber Mastiff
M 8 T 3 W 10
Bite 1" A 4 S 3 D 1/3

2x Arco Flagellant %
M 6  T 4  W 12
Electroflails R 1" A 5 S 3 D 1/4

2x Stormtrooper $
M 4 T 4 W 10
Hotshot lasgun R 3-20" A 3 S 3 D 2/3
Pistol 12" A 2 S 3 D 1/3
Knife 1" A 3 S 3 D 1/2 

Abilities

$[double] Throw Grenade: Pick a visible enemy fighter within 6" and roll 2 dice.  On a 4-5 allocate 1 damage.  On a 6 allocate damage equal to the value of this ability.

*[double] Shield Ram:  The next time this fighter finishes a move action within 1" of an enemy fighter roll a d6.  On a 3-4 allocate 1 damage to that fighter and a 5-6 allocate damage to that fighter equal to the value of this ability.

&[double] Iron Will: Roll a d6.  On a 3-4 reduce the value of psychic abilities by 1 for the rest of the turn on a 5-6 reduce the value of the psychic attack by the value of this ability.  Note that in some cases this will effectively nullify the psychic attack. 

%[triple] Combat stimms overload:  Roll a d6 for each visible enemy fighter within 3" of this fighter.  On a 3-4 allocate 1 damage point to the fighter being rolled for.  On a 5-6 allocate damage to that fighter equal to the value of this ability.

&[triple] Seal of the Inquisition:  Until the end of the battle round add 1 to the attacks characteristic of attack actions that have a range characteristic of 3 or less made by visible friendly fighters while they are within 6" of this fighter.

# [quad] Overcharged plasma: Pick an enemy within 12" of this fighter and roll 1 die.  On a 3-4 allocate a number of damage points equal to the value of this ability.  On a 5-6 allocate a number of damage points equal to 2x the value of this ability.  On a 1 add damage equal to the value of this ability using this ability. 

Up next will be a radical Inquistior from Ordo Malleus. 

After that I'm going to start on some of the named Inquisitors. 

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Inquisitor 2nd ed. project
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 12:40:24 PM »
This sounds like a really interesting project. Interested to hear how your games go.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »
I've no knowledge of Warcry, but your project sounds interesting.  My own search for a more streamlined Inq28 ruleset has lead me to an extensively modified take on Kill Team (borrowing heavily from Necromunda) that I'm referring to as Inquisi-Killomunda (in honour of the old Inquisimunda rules).
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »
I'm going to try another game either later today or tomorrow.  I've put together the second warband.  This is a radical Ordo Malleus Inquisitor. 

Warcry is a lot of fun.  It seems a bit gamey at first with the abilities but they actually work with the game very well.  There are very few skirmish games I enjoy, I've never liked Kill Team for example, but Warcry is a blast. 

Inquisitor Wrace was a relatively orthodox young Inquisitor who called in a Grey Knight strike team when a cult he was investigating summoned a daemon.  The daemon's anchor was destroyed by the strike team but the Lord of Change managed to destroy the strike team before its form faded back into the warp.  The Daemon deliberately left Wrace alive and whispered unknown things in his ear before disincorporating.  Shaken by the experience of seeing an entire Astarte daemonhunter strike force destroyed before his eyes Wrace became impressed by the power of chaos and decided that using that force against the enemies of mankind was the only way they were going to be able to beat it.  He took one of the Grey Knights power swords with him as a reminder of the experience.  In short order Wrace had started to develop his latent psychic potential.  His mind strayed from the usual disciplines of the Inquisitorial ranks and he dabbled in telekinetic powers and ultimately learned some necromancy. 

Now Wrace leads his warband on dedicates strikes against renegade chaos forces.  He goes into battle with the recovered Grey Knight sword Truestrike with his telekinetic powers enabling him to wield the blade as if it were an ordinary weapon.  He recruits among the scum of the hive cities to help him with his eternal battle against the ruinous powers and he is not against bringing a fallen ally back to life in the heat of battle, even if it is only for a limited time. 

The abilities are all stolen from actual Warcry abilities with the appropriate multiple attached to them.  There are two that are slightly modified.  Flame blast is given a range instead of being centered on the model using the ability but to offset that it also can hurt friendly models.  Heal is the same as respite except it can be used on another model.  As that is the healer's only use I figured I didn't need to offset the ability with a downside.

Inquisitor @ %
M 4 T 4 W 25
Bolter 20"  A 3 S 4 D 2/4
Power sword 1" A 2 S 5 D 3/6

Acolyte !
M 4 T 3 W 15
Brazier 2" A 3 S 3 D 1/4

Medicae #
M 4 T 3 W 10
Pistol 12" A 2 S 3 D1/3
Surgical gauntlet  1" A 3 S 2 D 1/3

Servitor
M 3 T 4 W 10
Power claw 1" A 1 S 8 D 4/8

Squat *
M 3 T 4 W 12
Bolter 20" A 3 S 4 D 2/4
Power hammer 1" A 2 S 4 D 2/5

1x  Renegade Bounty Hunters $
M 4 T 3 W 8
Shotgun 2-16" A 3 S 3 D 1/3
Pistol 12" A 2 S 3 D 1/3
Knife 1" A 3 S 3 D 1/3

2x Renegade Bounty Hunters $
M 4 T 3 W 8
Pistol 12" A 2 S 3 D 1/3
Knife 1" A 3 S 3 D 1/3

[double] $ Bounty: pick a visible enemy fighter within 6" of this fighter.  Until the end of the battle round add 1 to the S characteristic of attack actions made by friendly fighters with this battle mark this round.  This ability can only be used on any model once a turn. 

[double] @ Double-handed strike: Add the value of this ability to the strength characteristic of the next attack action made by this fighter this activation that has a range characteristic of 3" or less.

[double] * Defensive stance: Until the end of the battle round count each critical hit from attack actions that target this fighter as a hit instead.

[triple] # Heal: As long as neither this fighter nor another friendly fighter are within 1" of an enemy fighter this fighter may heal a number of wounds on that friendly fighter equal to the value of this ability.

[triple] % Reanimation:  Pick a friendly fighter that has been taken down.  Set that fighter up within 3" of this fighter.  The fighter is set up with a number of wounds remaining equal to the value of this ability. 

[quad] ! Flameblast: Pick a point on the battlefield within 12" of this fighter.  All models within 3" of this point take damage equal to the value of this ability. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 06:03:48 PM »
Here is an instructional battle report between the two Inquisitors above and their warbands. 

In the beginning of the game you will turn over cards from four different decks.  The first one is the terrain card and each card give a layout for how the pieces of terrain will be set up.

This was what we got for this game:

Next each player divides their warband into three groups.  We call these groups the Eye, the Hand and the Finger.

The finger is represented by a daggar on the deployment card, the hand by a hammer and the eye by a shield.

You then determine which player will be the red player and which will be the blue player and then pull a deployment card.

In this case the blue player started with his eye in the center of the board, his hand in the lower left corner and his finger in the upper right corner.  The Red player started with his eye in the middle of the right hand side of the board, his hand in the center of the upper side of the board and his finger in the center of the lower side.

The next card we drew was for the scenario.  This was find the hidden vault.  Players had to roll off to see who was the attacker and who was the defender.  The Red team, the Orthodox inquisitor, was the defender and got to place 4 objectives on the table.  These were possible hidden portals to the vault, or for our narrative purposes, the webway. 

Then they noted down which one of them was actually the portal in secret to be revealed at the end of the third turn.

So the strategy was for the defender to defend the actual portal without making it look like that is the one they were defending.

After that we drew a twist card and this just prevented the players from having a wild dice in the first turn.

So onto the combatants.

The red player's army cards looked like this:

The blue players's army cards looked like this:

Other than having the stats and the list of abilities and being a convenient place to track wounds the cards don't have any real use in the game and could just be on a sheet. 

The little cards with three spaces on them under the other cards indicate where multiple models of a certain type are on the board. 

I like the cards as they do give you a nice place to put wounds.  I better like them because they were expensive to make and print.

At the start of each game turn players roll 6 dice and collect multiples and singles.  The blue player rolled Four 4's, a 5 and a 6.  The Red player rolled Four 2's and a 4 and 5.  That gave each player a quad and two singles. 

The singles are used for initiative so in this case it was a tie and the players had to roll off.  The quad is used to activate the abilities on the ability card or any of the universal abilities. 

The Blue player went first and used his quad to have the acolyte use his flame staff to blast the Red player's inquisitor and inqusitorial stormtroopers doing 4 wounds to each of them.  He then advanced towards the objective. 

The Red player then activated his priest who used his quad to use the Overcharged Plasma ability and did 4 points of damage to one of the bounty hunters on the Blue side.  He then moved and fired his plasma pistol hitting that same bounty hunter twice and killing her. 

Each model gets two activations and can also use an ability by spending a multiple.  They can move, shoot, fight in close combat or get out of close combat for the actions.  So his actions were move, then move and used the Flame Blast ability. 

Each player then took it in turn to activate a model.  The Red player's subjugator charged the blue player's squat.  When a model is charged and there is an enemy within 1" they cannot use shooting weapons that have a range over 1".

During the turn the players tried to move their models so that they were close to the objectives or in an advantageous position vs. another fighter. 

At the end of the first turn the player's cards looked like this:

Blue player:

You can see that one model has been eliminated and is on her card.  As you will note there are multiple bounty hunters armed identically with pistol and dagger.  She is placed on the card in one of the slots.

You can also see from the markers that the squat has taken 4 wounds and the acolyte has taken 10. 

Red player:

The red player came off a little better with no models dead but a few banged up including the inquisitor who had 4 wounds this turn.

The second turn of the game was more bloody with both inquisitors involved in melee.

The orthodox Inquisitor was a better swordsman than the radical and dispatched his opponent, but not before the servitor crushed the life out of a stormtrooper.

The medicae rushed in to help the acolyte but she was too late.

It would now be up to the Blue team inquisitor to use his Reanimation ability if he wanted the acolyte to fight on, which he did. 

At the end of the second turn we have

and

Things have evened out some with both sides having two models dead.

In the third turn the tides of fate really turned against the radical Inquisitor and his 6 dice resulted in a straight, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 so no multiples.  Great for initiative but pretty bad for getting some abilities.  Fortunately the Inquisitor had reanimated the acolyte last turn, albeit with only 2 wounds.

The Orthodox did better and ended up with a double and a triple.

At the end of the game the Red side controlled two objectives and the blue only one with a fourth occupied by neither. 

The defender then revealed the objective that was the real portal and it was the one near the Orthodox inquisitor meaning they won the game by controlling the actual portal.

At the end of the game the cards looked like this:

Obviously the Blue team came off a lot worse than the Red.  The former lost 6 models while the latter only lost 3.  This has no impact on the outcome of the game, had it been reversed the Red player would still have won as long as their inquisitor controlled that objective, but if you are playing a campaign game it may have an impact.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 09:24:32 PM »
A really great battle report!
I had a similar thought when i first read the warcry rules - a very elegant system that would make a fine successor to inquisitor if GW added some character creations rules so I'll be watching this with interest . :)

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 12:07:19 PM »
Thanks for the report. Sounds interesting.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 06:21:02 PM »
I'm glad you guys liked it.

Ultimately I'd like to have 8 fully fleshed out Warbands and I think the first two are pretty much done as far as balance is concerned.  I'll try to get another game in today and see how that turns out before moving on to the next Inquisitor and warband.

Speaking of, I have one more Inquisitor model finished.  All I have left now is Eisenhorn himself and he is almost done.

This next one is a Radical Xenos Inquisitor who has had extensive dealing with the Eldar and even wields a splinter pistol. 

She has no psychic abilities but will likely have an ability based on some xenos tech.

M 4 T 5 W 20

Splinter pistol 12"  A 6 S 3 D 1/4
Power sword  1"  A 4 S 4 D 2/5

I also got some more pics of potential henchmen.

A zealot

another Astropath

And a heretical Robot

I probably won't get started on the next warband until sometime at the end of next week but I have some ideas for its make up. 

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »
Nice project! The inquisition has so much storytelling potential.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 10:12:27 PM »
I'm always impressed how quickly you get stuff done so quickly and have such good looking games.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 02:26:38 AM »
I managed to get my first game in with another human being today. The game went pretty quickly ending on turn two. With the scenario and deployments that were drawn it was pretty much bound to end quickly.

Both sides started with their Eye on the table and their finger and hand in reserve coming in on round 2. The mission was heretic where both sides had decided that the other side was engaging in some sort of heretical or traitorous activity. Both sides had to eliminate the other sides inquisitor.

The inquisitors went after each other and with only 3 wounds left the monodominant witchhunter brought down the radical daemonhunter.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 07:54:05 PM »
Three more figures for inquisitor.  We have two slaver body guards and a data savant.

The figures are all from Forge World.  The slavers are in the Necromunda line while the savant is part of an Inquisitor set from them. 

I had some trouble getting the camera to focus on this guy's face.  It just always seemed to zoom in on the leg.  I'll take another picture and try to do it better before I make the card but you get the idea for now. 

Great figures.  I have two inquisitors to do from them plus their henchman and the slavers leadership.  I got the bodyguard done first because we are going to try out my lists against a Corpse Grinder cult gang tomorrow and I wanted the body guards to be part of that to more easily distinguish the different gangers from each other.