Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:16:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A rescue by Zeppelin, 3rd August 1884  (Read 3041 times)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
A rescue by Zeppelin, 3rd August 1884
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:34:26 PM »
Hey all,
Well, after a year and a bit of painting, I finally managed to get in a game with my VSF/Colonial figures. Please excuse the dodgy camera work in many of the shots, both the lighting and the cameraman (me) were awful...

It is the 3rd of August, 1884. The despicable and mysterious German agent 'Von Evil' has fled to a remote African village deep inside French Tinkiwinkidipsylalapoland, with his personal bodyguard of steam tanks and Automatons. He has managed to contact Berlin, and a Zeppelin has been sent to pick him up, along with a variety of important documents he has secreted about his person, which could prove vital for the German war effort.
Hot on his heels is a combined British and French force, led by two top agents under the codenames of 'Kipling' and 'Wilde'. The must seize Von Evil before he can escape back to Germany. In order to prevent such a result, the dastardly Hun has procured the help of a nearby Warlord, with promises of gold, tanks and freedom from the colonial oppressors.

The starting setup. The British and French can be seen in the foreground, whilst the Natives stream from the Village in the top left. The German armour is deployed to the top right. A RN steamer approaches from the middle left;

The French Fort;

‘Kipling’ (left) and ‘Wilde’ discuss their next move;

The village. Von Evil can be seen in the centre, next to his steam tractor;

The fiendish Hun himself;

What now follows is an assortment of photos from the game. They are in a rough chronological order. Basically, everything that could do so broke down as soon as the opportunity arose to do so, resulting in the immobilisation of all the German armour and the British steam carriage crashing into a house, followed closely by the steamer, which had been disabled by a group of German divers. The French stormed the village, with the loss of all their armour, but arrived only to see Von Evil carried away by the Zeppelin, which arrived in the nick of time. The British lost virtually all their infantry to the German tanks and a heroic group of Native horse. Both ‘Kipling’ and ‘Wilde’ survived the game.

There were 183 figures on the table, all but three of them painted by me (the other three were painted by ‘Mr. Marx’). The Natives were slightly outnumbered, so their units were sporadically recycled throughout the game. The rules started off as a slightly converted set of WHH’s ‘Great War’, but ended the game as something rather different indeed, what with the amount of things we made up on the spot to cover such units as helicopters and steam robots...
The figures themselves are from Perry, Eureka, Foundry, Irregular, Essex, Dixon, Copplestone, Ironclad, Games Workshop and a couple more that slip my mind...
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
Re: A rescue by Zeppelin, 3rd August 1884
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »
wow. that was a great game. good job for LAFing it so quickly!.

Mr.Marx

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »
Great inspiration. :-*
Very nice looking game. :-*

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:23:50 AM »
Marvellous stuff, VSF goodness at its best. I don't recognise Von evil, who makes him. I like the miniature flying machine too, very nice :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »
Good Show!

Looks a fun game.  Plenty of excellent mini's and vehicles. 

Thanks for all the photos.  I've been eying the Eureka tanks and your report confirms they are worthy of table top glory.

Offline Luthaaren Von Tegale

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »
have to agree - great toys, great scenario - looks like a great game.

vT

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 02:33:10 AM »
That was fantastic!

Tell me more about this guy:

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
The evil chap in the mask is a conversion, but I'm afraid can't tell you anymore than that. Mr. Marx can, though.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 03:02:22 PM »
That was fantastic!

Tell me more about this guy:

Thats a Urban War Civiy Milita model with a swaped head from a GW Eldar Hariquin, and a little sculpted hair to cover the gaps. Hes got a Mauser c-96 too. Ive made him a cyborg dog too...I'll post up some picks of him and his Anarchist Comrades whenever No#42 gives me a chance to use them...

Mr.Marx

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »
Thanks! He's a great villain piece.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 01:12:41 AM »
Thanks! He's a great villain piece.

Why thank you. Thanky you very much. He is to be the ringleader of the 'League of Anarchists', a group of international villens with the aim of bringing scientific anarchy to the world. I'll post some pics up when I acctualy get to use them.  :)

Mr.Marx