Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:18:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686621
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Countng arrows in a game  (Read 2857 times)

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
Countng arrows in a game
« on: June 06, 2020, 09:14:21 PM »
I’m trying to come with some simple medieval rules to play with my son. I’ve got most the mechanics, but I’d like to do longbows shoot twice, but thats too powerful so I’d like to come up with a way to count arrows. If a game last say 6 turns, longbows get 8 arrows, but once they’ve all been shot, archers are just unarmoured swords men. But I can’t figure out an easy way to keep track, counters for each unit is too cumbersome, and d6's are ugly and get confused In gameplay, just wondered if anyone can think of a better way of doing it ?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Countng arrows in a game
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 09:20:42 PM »
If you're looking for something fairly visually homogeneous why not go for some of the arrows provided with the Perry plastic longbowmen on a small base?

Or allow each unity of longbowmen to loose at a higher rate once per game? Or by a small increased factor (say a dice) each time they loose?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 09:25:54 PM »
You could do little marker bases combining the arrows as mentioned above with a space (or dice frame) for a small 7mm dice.

We use these small dice a lot for markers in games as they are too small to be rolled so don’t get confused with normal dice.

Or, if you want to avoid markers entirely, perhaps allow double shots until a unit rolls something when rolling to hit. Quite what depends on the mechanics of the game. But something like more 1s than hits.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 10:19:43 PM »
Roll a D8 each time you fire and a 1 means last arrow?

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 08:40:03 AM »
Wow thanks there’s some great ideas there. I’ve ordered some 7mm dice from eBay to try and Perry arrows would make great markers. A game mechanic might be easier than tracking if I can come up with the right one. D8 rolling a 1 is too harsh as you could fail too early in the game. Maybe no roll on normal shooting, but if you double shoot d6-3 if lesser than the turn count means last arrow for that unit. That would give 3 turns of fire away, but increasing jepody thereafter. Problem is it would encourage early shooting, whereas an actual counter makes you conserve arrows until they are most effective... bit of play testing needed I think.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:54:54 AM by happyhiker »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 09:54:03 AM »
Another thought on this. In For King and Parliament ECW rules, units have fairly limited ammo, 1-3 units typically. But this is ammo used for extra effect, so either long range shooting or double strength short range shooting. So you could do something similar- I.e. longbow  units can always fire Normally but have a few double strength fire markers. Then you don’t have to worry about tracking every shot, just a few double shots.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 11:18:57 AM »
A simple way is to allow archers to shoot twice but in one game turn only (when their player wants it) then you don't need markers or tracking. It represents a storm of arrows which can happen in one short moment but only once in the battle. The rest of the game the archers shoot normally (once per game turn) as long as they can; they will have to fight with swords anyway when the enemy reaches their other infantry.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »
A simple way is to allow archers to shoot twice but in one game turn only (when their player wants it) then you don't need markers or tracking. It represents a storm of arrows which can happen in one short moment but only once in the battle. The rest of the game the archers shoot normally (once per game turn) as long as they can; they will have to fight with swords anyway when the enemy reaches their other infantry.

Maybe only at short range too, though such a mechanism would be more generally applicable to the HYW then the Wars of the Roses (for example).

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 05:18:27 PM »
A simple way is to allow archers to shoot twice but in one game turn only (when their player wants it) then you don't need markers or tracking. It represents a storm of arrows which can happen in one short moment but only once in the battle.

Maybe only at short range too

Ah... I would rather allow it at long range / middle range...

such a mechanism would be more generally applicable to the HYW then the Wars of the Roses (for example).

Yes that's the main examples.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 08:40:02 PM »
Or if you want an easy mechanism with no markers, allow them to shoot once per turn as long as they can/want, but if they want to let loose an arrow storm and shoot twice roll 2 dice (of your choice, but 2D6 is probably the easiest option) and if you get a double you've used up your arrows. Allow replenishment if the unit spends a turn  in the baggage camp.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 09:39:24 PM »
I’ve seen people make hexagonal markers with 1-6 painted around the edges. Stick some arrows in the middle and turn it to match the number of arrows left.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 10:36:01 PM »
If you want to give some randomness to arrow availability, you may use a mechanism used in several Too fat Lardies rules, that is what they call the EDNA  (ever decreasing number avalible) number. Basically, you asign a number to something that is spent, and every time you throw a dice and is over that number, you subtract one from that number. So, there is random, but every time you throw a dice value over the new number, is easier to "spend" the dice.
For instance, suppose that a unit of archers has a 3 as EDNA number. Every time they shoot, you throw a dice. If is 3 or less, nothing happens. But if is over 3, you subtract 1 and the new EDNA is 2. When they shoot again, if the dice values is 3 or more, you subtract 1 again, and the new EDNA number is 1. Now, the only way to not spend all arrows is to score a 1!!!
So, you never know how many arrows remain.

This system may be used for any troops that spend ammunition. Grenades in an infantry squad, for instance. Of for turns for arriving a reserve of troops.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:38:07 PM by emosbur »

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 09:05:33 AM »
thanks for all the replies. I'm a strong advocate of simpler is better. I think it comes down to using some 7mm d6's(on order) and count arrows Or a random mechanism. The EDNA sounds clever but would still need a counter per unit, so I might as well count arrows. Shoot normally, but double twice per game is an idea so is a d6 based on turn count. I think I'll have to play test each. It will come down the system my son likes best to be honest. I like a non random count because it adds tension the player has to decide, use arrows now, but at the risk running out.  I suppose a random chance of losing all arrows does the same. At least the lock down is good for playtest time...

Offline tabletopwargamer

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 07:10:54 PM »
If you want to keep it simple, how about when a unit is fresh you hit on x on x number of d6.

After that first fire, Mark unit with a counter.

On subsequent firing,  if a 1 is rolled, put a, different colours counter on unit and from that point they fire at less effect for rest of game. No book keeping them, just coloured counters.

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 11:23:35 PM »
I use the little casualty markers from WarBases for tracking ammunition. They get themed stuff put on them. Pack-horses and supply dumps and things.

Fantasy armies get their own versions:

The markers are reasonably cheap and, to be honest, I enjoy making the little dioramas...