Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting some Romans - starting with C3rd AD  (Read 9452 times)

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
Painting some Romans - starting with C3rd AD
« on: June 07, 2020, 08:34:50 AM »
Hello all,

A while ago I ordered some miniatures from A & A with a vague intent to use them in some sort of skirmish gaming or something like that but mainly because I really liked the sculpts. The C3rd AD is quite distinctive but is the least explored Roman period by gamers and manufacturers. This could be due to it being thought of as the ‘Time of Chaos’ where emperors and pretenders cycled through the purple at an alarming rates while the frontiers were pierced and the Romans found themselves very much on the back foot after generations of dominance. Could also be the lack of first rate surviving sources.

Anyway, I find the whole scrabbling to survive in a changing time theme interesting and have finished the first couple of 'Palestinian clubmen’:

The clubmen themselves were, according to Zosimus, not local yokels with cheap weapons but rather picked soldiers who were grouped together and given the heavy clubs and husbanded by careful comanders as a method to counter heavy cavalry. Seems to have been effective on the field of battle. Not sure how many rule sets give dudes with clubs the edge over heavily armoured cavalry.

The A& A miniatures are excellent sculpts, though do need a bit of preparation work before painting. Steve at A&A is a delight to deal with and offers excellent after-sales service. The idea is to do them in a variety of equipment and skin hues to suggest an army which is forced to mend and make do as supply become less regular. The next batch will be blondes with very pale skin to suggest that the ‘Germanisation’ of the Roman army is accelerating in this period.

Here are another couple of infantry done but waiting for their shields:

I have a set of LMB transfers but have never used them before. Would it be best to affix them to the shield and varnish and then apply the transfer or can it all be done before varnishing? I tend to use Testors Dullcote if that helps.

Here's how they look presently unshielded:

Anyway, thanks for looking and very keen to hear advice around the best order to apply transfers and varnish.

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
Re: Painting some Romans - starting with C3rd AD
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 09:28:58 AM »
Very evocative.  :-* I'd never thought considering c3ad ...  o_o

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 09:45:14 AM »
Very nice.  I would really like a 3rd Century force but find that A&A range too "hit and miss" for my liking. I've decided my next army will be early 7th century Byzantine using the new Aventine miniatures.

Regarding LBMS decals I've always just undercoated the shield white, and then applied the decal straight onto that. I then normally paint the rim of the shield, affix to the figure and then matt varnish the  two together. Very rarely have any problems.   

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 10:04:16 AM »
These look very nice indeed, you’ve done a great job on them - it is an interesting  indeed...I look forward to seeing and learning more

Re transfers I second SJWi - front of shield in matt white, then transfer, touch up gaps and shield edge, then matt varnish (I also apply MicroSol to the transfer to get it to lie really flat - the solution basically welds the design to the surface) 
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 03:40:21 PM »

What they said.  I haven't tried using Microsol on them but will the next time I apply some.

I have a bunch of the A&A legionaries on my blog.  I love them.

https://paintingdistractions.wordpress.com/category/aa-miniatures/

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 01:48:52 AM »

I have a bunch of the A&A legionaries on my blog.  I love them.

Not wanting to go off topic but that’s a spectacular collection !

....back on topic - can’t recommend Microsol highly enough - especially when it comes to things like Hoplite shields...the solution really helps to soften up and mould the transfer to the convex surface of the shield  ;)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 06:13:57 AM »
Thanks for the tip re Microsol. I may get some myself. The only time I ever had a problem with LBMS was with hoplite shields for the reason you mention.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 10:24:44 AM »
Good start on a fascinating period. Hope there are many more to come. :)

The C3rd AD is quite distinctive but is the least explored Roman period by gamers and manufacturers. This could be due to it being thought of as the ‘Time of Chaos’ where emperors and pretenders cycled through the purple at an alarming rates while the frontiers were pierced and the Romans found themselves very much on the back foot after generations of dominance. Could also be the lack of first rate surviving sources.

Totally agree. I wish more manufacturers would do "Middle Imperials" though, if just for the sake of variety. That said, there are some very good extras to be found in Aventine's 2nd century range; up to the point that I could match my A&A commander on horseback with a dismounted version (not to distract too much, here's just a link).

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 10:40:12 AM »
By the way regarding sources, I see that Pen and Sword have recently released books on Gallienus and Aurelian/Probus. Both are by Ilkka Syvanne who is writing a multi-volume military history of the late Roman Empire. Probably worth a look even if a tad hard to read....at least based on previous experience.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 11:59:51 AM »
Thansk for the kind words and advice, everyone.

Looks like I'll need to investigate Microsol vendors.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 10:58:10 PM »
Great work as always mate.

I have never had to use Microsol on LBMS transfers, but that's not to say that it won't help. Toyworld out at Fyshwick used to stock it.

The issue of 'true' skirmish rules for Ancients has always been a thorny one for me. We adapted Hail Caesar for skirmish back in the day and that worked quite well. And I have long thought about modifying En Garde! for Ancients. I really don't like SPQR, and most other rules sets are for 40+ models.

Something to discuss!

CW

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 09:59:23 AM »
Great work as always mate.

I have never had to use Microsol on LBMS transfers, but that's not to say that it won't help. Toyworld out at Fyshwick used to stock it.

The issue of 'true' skirmish rules for Ancients has always been a thorny one for me. We adapted Hail Caesar for skirmish back in the day and that worked quite well. And I have long thought about modifying En Garde! for Ancients. I really don't like SPQR, and most other rules sets are for 40+ models.

Something to discuss!

CW

Thanks, mate. Called Toyworld but they don't stock it so order through Mighty Ape. Should be here in a week or two.

Interested to investigate options for skirmish gaming. Might even invest in Infamy, Infamy at some stage.

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 05:42:42 PM »
Those clubmen look ace - well done :-*

For LBMS transfers, once I stick them I apply a coat of citadel Lahmian Medium. No varnish - it may sound strange but I found it effective.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 10:49:05 PM »
I know a couple of people locally who will be picking up Infamy, Infamy. I have always been disappointed by TFL rules - superficial, really poorly written and badly structured. I will probably give them a shot but I am not confident!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 05:46:47 AM »
Good morning. Regarding 2FL rules I think it rather depends which era you are looking at. I would agree with most of your comments when looking at their older rulesets . I bought "If the Lord spares Us" for WW1 Palestine and gave up after a few minutes. However me and my mates have found Chain of Command, Dux, and Sharpe Practice 2 much better. But I would say that with their card/chit based activation and "bad things happen" tables these are rules aimed at the "fun" end of the spectrum rather than die-hard competition gaming. "What a Tanker" is a fun "beer and pretzels" tank vs tank game, not a detailed recreation of WW2 armoured combat.