Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:17:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Getting Back In: I was on facebook and I was wrong. (Recommendations Wanted)  (Read 6982 times)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist

I suppose I could just post "I like this!", but that would get pretty tiresome after I while, perhaps.  :)

Personally I would be very happy with a "I like this" from you Plynkes!

When I just used the forum to look at other people's stuff I would see posts or threads that I enjoyed, or were inspiring or impressive, but I could not think of anything uniquely interesting to say in response so did not post anything. I have since started a couple of threads of my own and seen how pleasant it is to receive feedback, even if it is just "I like this" or "+1".  I am not sure numbers of "likes" would be quite the same. If users are encouraged to comment on others work without feeling pressure to make the comment long or insightful that should mean that "likes" are unnecessary.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Well, Bearwoodman, I have been quietly admiring the recent production output of SHODDY. Perhaps I will even make a comment when the next update rolls round.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Well, Bearwoodman, I have been quietly admiring the recent production output of SHODDY. Perhaps I will even make a comment when the next update rolls round.  :)

I like this.
 :D

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
I really really do not want to spend my ancients time on Facebook - and even the face of silly newb repeated questions and duplicate posts across near identical groups - Facebook is easily winning at the moment.

I can't think of a single thing that Facebook does that works properly. I frequently don't see posts in groups that I am in but it will show me the same post from six different groups in my feed. The are no quoting tools. The threads only have a single level of indenting so its impossible to follow a post. There are no formatting tools.

Take me automatically to the latest unread post

Other than the 'Unread Messages' page?

Give me a notifications count/icon of my active posts with replies
Give me a count/icon of direct replies
Give me the option of new or latest posts in my topic area
Give me likes
Give me a big button for the next page - not the next thread (mobile!)

Notifications are notably buggy on Facebook though. Even moreso if you run pages. I get notification alerts that are just prompts to buy ads or tell me that someone hasn't visited a page in a while. It also favours giving you notifications on aspects of the site that it thinks will increase your engagement.

And border on spam unless you do something to trim them down. Funnily enough, Facebook had a control for fine-tuning your notifications but they removed it. After I used to to trim down the number of notifications I was getting but now I can't access it any more and so I can't re-enable some notifications that I actually find useful now.

For me there are two basic problems with Facebook

1) It actively profits from spreading hate and division. It is responsible for helping inflame genocide in Burma amongst other things. If you use it then you are saying that you are okay with that.

2) You are not the user that Facebook cares about. Facebook is built for advertisers and the company does enough to try to keep you engaged and on the site to gather more demographics about you and your circle of friends. To Facebook, there is no difference between you seeing pictures of your granny and you posting plans to engage in some armed civil disobedience. This informs issue 1. It also is why Facebook is such a crappy site to use. They get no additional benefit from making your user experience on the site easier. If it limited engagement they would fix it but people don't seem to care enough so they don't.

I am in the midst of winding down my account mostly because I can't support the site promoting things like climate denial and vaccine denial.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Each to their own, but frankly “Likes” are too often used as alternatives to any actual engagement and they’re completely empty.

Exactly. You see a post with 30+ Likes but not a single comment. It is emprty and meaningless.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
(...)

1) It actively profits from spreading hate and division. It is responsible for helping inflame genocide in Burma amongst other things. If you use it then you are saying that you are okay with that.

(...)

I am in the midst of winding down my account mostly because I can't support the site promoting things like climate denial and vaccine denial.

Do kindly avoid politics, all. Thanks.

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
I'll gladly admit I prefer LAF in its current state. Much as Facebook is useful for certain things - normally whatever the latest wargaming controversy is (looking at you Lardies  ;D ) - I dislike like/dislike features as it turns me into someone I don't like.

The irony thing is that I post updates to projects on FB rather than here - possibly because I know my incompetent fumblings will be lost in a day or two on FB!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
The LAF is the only ‘social media’ I use,it’s a community with all that entails  ;)  ; I have got to know like minded people,even made one or two friends,not Hammers obviously  lol As a bit of an introvert without this place I would be seriously boring my wife with my various eccentric projects, and we don’t want that. Instead I have you lot. And it can be very inspiring,my painting et cetera has definitely got better,I have even learnt one or two things. It’s a practical art, which the forum supports,a good thing in this day and age...
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
I joined FB mostly to keep in touch with a group that organises games- really, exactly what it should be used for. It is also handy for directing traffic to my blog.  :D

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
I understand Facebook is some kinda social thing using those fancy smart phones which I don't own. I hate phones and I socialize face to face.

I also had tons of images on "Photo Butthead", however, all of my hobby photos I uploaded here in the gallery section. Nowadays I use imgur, but still, if I post a photo in a post, it almost always ends up in my gallery.

Of course, one can also directly upload photos as attachments to your posts. The problem with that, for me, is that when I come to the forum the first thing I do is go to the View the most recent posts on the forum at the bottom of the forum under Forum Stats and look at the last 100 posts. Attached photos do not appear using that feature.

As for likes and stuff... if I see something that interests me, it does no harm to make a nice short comment on the thread. That also serves as a "bookmark" if you will as I can then go to the show replies under your User stats and see if additional material has been added when I visit at a later date.

Overall, the forum has plenty of functionality if you know how to use it. It is my favorite forum and has been for years. As a matter of fact, it is my favorite website period.

As a member for over 12 years I must say that I enjoy the camaraderie of the folks who visit here and if it only appears to appeal to older folks with good manners... I'm okay with that.

So come now, give me a like!  lol

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
I like that!

Also I learned something:

Of course, one can also directly upload photos as attachments to your posts. The problem with that, for me, is that when I come to the forum the first thing I do is go to the View the most recent posts on the forum at the bottom of the forum under Forum Stats and look at the last 100 posts. Attached photos do not appear using that feature.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
imgur is still fine

+1 to that. I use it on my forum. I hate Facebook.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
I use my blog, on blogspot as I was already paying for storage on google for documents it had the side benefit of image storage. I post a WIP, or completed model or figures on my blogs then copy the image location for here.

Cheers
Matt

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
I'm a member of a lot of groups on facebook (I'd say it makes up 90% of my feed), and for what it is it works well enough. Get a nice stream of terrain and modelling pics to look at whilst losing interest in whatever tv show is on. Then I come up to my study and spend quality time on LAF.

Facebook has too many flaws to be really useful though. Remember that photo you saw two days ago? Yeah the really good one of those Osgiliath Ruins, man that was sweet. Shame it's lost forever unless FB decides it suddenly becomes relevant to me.

LAF is, let's be fair, painfully old fashioned. But that's fine, so are we :D It reminds me of the good old days of forums, just after we were pried screaming from newsgroups, when people actually talked and gave a shit what the other person said back (zomg).

I've run forums for years (my gta forums were mentioned in the official game manuals I'll have you know.. yes that's right, games used to come with manuals), and they'll always have a special place for me. I was thinking about this the other day when someone referred to the boardgaming community, to which I scoffed. A group of shitposters on reddit is not a community, nor are most of the FB groups (unless they support an active group of folks, like say Terrainiacs). Forums spawn community. I've never met any of you, but I've read your posts and admired your work for years. This is a place where you can have discourse and get input on what you're working on. Sure you can't farm likes or karma, but you can get and give advice.

That said, I have just kicked up my own project site again. I like to have a place that's mine, and where my sporadic posting doesn't mean I have to go to page 10 just to update my own logs. And finally getting to it, in answer to the original question, I'm hosting my own wordpress and storing my photos on google. Jetpack makes it pretty easy to take photos on my phone and dump them into my entries. I used to write my own web apps but just couldn't be bothered any more. I do it all day every day, and my spare time is for getting my arse kicked at Fortnite or sploshing paint on small plastic things. I'll let someone else write the tech. Just not FB, they do a shit job.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Facebook has too many flaws to be really useful though. Remember that photo you saw two days ago? Yeah the really good one of those Osgiliath Ruins, man that was sweet. Shame it's lost forever unless FB decides it suddenly becomes relevant to me.
I had the same issue however, I discovered at the top right corner of each post are three dots (...)
If you click on that you have the option to to save the post and can sort them by category. I do that now for miniatures, terrain and other ideas.

My problem with Facebook (or just some particular groups) are because the feeds disappear or it's too hard to search or people are lazy or not properly moderated, the SAME questions get asked all the time...
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...