Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:13:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How do Agema Republican Romans compare to other plastic ranges?  (Read 4240 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
I am thinking of raising armies for the Hannibal's Punic War and have been looking at the various ranges available.  In particular I am attracted to the Agema Republican Romans and would like the Carthaginians to be of similar size.  The Agema Carthaginian range in plastic is quite limited.

Another reason why I am asking is that I have some Agema Velites and they are quite tall in comparison to my other plastic figures by Gripping Beast and Warlord Games.

If anyone has or can point me to a comparison photo I would be most grateful.  I have tried looking on the internet without success and also used the "search" facility here but get the message "Data Base error".

Thanks
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: How do Agema Republican Romans compare to other plastic ranges?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 11:49:20 PM »
The Agema plastics are the same height as the Victrix Carthaginians but slightly slimmer and more proportional.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 05:38:51 AM »
Many thanks, I knew the velites were taller but was not sure about the other Romans.  So I'll give them a miss as they appear to be half a head to a head taller than my other "older pattern" 25s and 28s. 

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 03:05:31 PM »
Given the excellent Punic Wars range by Victrix, I wouldn't bother with Agema.  IMHO their poses are slightly stiff, they have a very limited set of poses and not as many variations in terms of helmets etc. I bought some when they first came out and quickly dumped them in favour of the Victrix figures, albeit a few of their kneeling triarii are in my units but with Victrix heads and weapons.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:17:44 PM »
Hi I found the Agema less stiff - they are in movement- whereas the Victrix Romans are just standing there ...

The Victrix are easier to rank, have the oversized heads and hands that are common, whereas Agema are more realistic proportions.  The latter of which just doesn’t seem to have caught on.

Like Hu Rhu referenced, it’s the head and weapons that really set them apart (and the slighter bodies). 

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 05:59:13 PM »
Thanks, the Victrix ones may be better but they are taller than most of my existing figures, the Agema ones are thinner and appear only slightly taller.  I think I may buy a sprue of each and see for myself.

Thanks again.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 07:57:10 AM »
Thanks, the Victrix ones may be better but they are taller than most of my existing figures, the Agema ones are thinner and appear only slightly taller.  I think I may buy a sprue of each and see for myself.

Thanks again.

What are your existing figures? 

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »
What are your existing figures?

For my Republican, Early and Late Imperial  Romans and enemies of Rome I have a mix of Gripping Beast, Warlord, Perry (Mahdists as North Africans, slaves etc) in plastic, metal figures from Foundry, Warlord, Black Tree Design, Bad Squiddo, Gangs of Rome, some odd figures from other historical and older fantasy ranges. So all on the "smaller 28mm" side.     All sorts picked up at bring and buys, shows, ebay etc. so long as they a the of the smaller stature.  I am happy with a few taller figures as that is real life but not a whole army of 7 foot tall giants.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 04:49:42 PM »
I think I'm in the minority, in that I actually prefer the Agema miniatures. Victrix is generally excellent, but in my personal opinion their Greek and Roman ranges have some awkward poses, are kinda boxy, and too broad-shouldered. Just my 0.02, I know that they're generally very highly regarded.

The Agema miniatures scale well with the Warlord (formerly Immortal Miniatures) Hoplites, too, of which I already had a large collection, so that was a plus for me.

I will say that a drawback to the Agema miniatures is the limited options for principes and triarii, of which I believe there are only one standing and one kneeling body.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 10:59:11 PM »
That’s a very good observation about the Immortal (Warlord) Greeks.

I have been trying to replace their heads with other makes to get them to fit in.

You’re not alone in liking Agema. 

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 11:49:24 PM »

I will say that a drawback to the Agema miniatures is the limited options for principes and triarii, of which I believe there are only one standing and one kneeling body.

The Carthaginian veterans sprue gives the possibility for a lot more choice for Triari and Principes.  There is also a small range of really excellent metal figures to further add to the variety.

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 07:12:33 AM »
There are some odd scaling issues with both Agema and Victrix, both manufacturers have miniatures from the same range being various sizes. Agema has beautiful metal sculpts though.

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 08:20:21 AM »
Hi,

I have both sets in my collection. I initially purchased the Republican Romans Victrix as I quite liked the Greeks Mercernary set. The casts are good, crisp and clean and the Centurions looked cool. However whenI started putting them together I found them a bit static. This was before I started kit bashing from other Victrix sets. I have gone back to Victrix for their macedonian range as though static they work quite well ranked up. Though I may take a look at the Warlord range to compare... I digress

I then purchased the plastic set of Romans, Initially they looked OK and the casts were clean.  I then purchased their Metal Republican Romans and wow they are nice figures.

Paint wise the really work if you use GW Contrast paints and I have started to kit bash the plastic set to with the Carthaginians to build a small Etruscan force. So for me the Agema, I will post some painted minis so you can see what they look like painted.

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 08:34:41 AM »
Here are some pics, not great pics but you can see how the Agema minis paint up.

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 08:38:31 AM »
Hi,

Here are some pics of the Agema minis.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:07:23 AM by markw »