Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sarissa Newsstands Tricked Out  (Read 778 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Sarissa Newsstands Tricked Out
« on: June 16, 2020, 04:37:21 AM »

My Sarissa newsstand tricked out with printed newspapers, magazine covers, bricks to hold them down, and more!

I am a big fan of 28mm Sarissa Precision MDF buildings. As much as I like them, I think I enjoy modifying them even more. Or at least it appears that way with these two! These are probably the most I've gone overboard on modifications.

I began with Sarissa's Newstand/Market Stall (https://sarissa-precision.com/products/newstand-marketstall). I decided to make one an actual newsstand/bookseller, and the other a tobacconist. I did my usual method of black priming them with Krylon acrylic primer, and following that up with a 50/50 mix of water and acrylic black paint. This gives a good base, though it often requires an extra coat or two if the building is painted in lighter colors. Speaking of painting them, I would have to say the part I struggle with the most on my Sarissa buildings is their habit of using incised lines for decoration. As I get older, painting those straight lines are so much harder!  lol

The tobacconist, or Smith's Smoke Shack, being patronized by the latest ne'er do wells from my Gang Warfare project

The newspapers and magazine covers are simply images I found on Google, and downloaded and resized in Photoshop. I folded each newspaper in half to give it some heft, and stack 4-5 of them up. After I had them all glued in place, I got the inspiration to glue a resin brick atop each stack to keep the wind from blowing them away. 

For the tobacconist, I headed to the local craft shop and picked up various items from their doll house accessories line. Yes, the soda cans and candy jars are a bit out of scale, but what the heck? The cigarette packs are just tiny MDF pieces that were poked out of buildings I'd created and saved.

I have taken to creating my signs on my computer and printing them out nowadays, rather than actually attempting to paint the letters

For more detail on how I did the accessories and the rooftop signs, check out my latest post on my Lead Legionaries blog:
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2020/06/two-kiosks-for-my-28mm-cityscape.html

Margarita and El Lobo of the Santanas gang look for headlines about their criminal activities on the streets of Columbus

Mike Demana

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Sarissa Newsstands Tricked Out
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 04:17:19 PM »
Well done, Mike!