Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Atlantic: Plastic Persian Infantry Reviewed!  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Wargames Atlantic: Plastic Persian Infantry Reviewed!
« on: June 17, 2020, 06:17:16 PM »
Today we will take an extensive look at the brand new Wargames Atlantic Persian Infantry! These new 28mm hard-plastic multi-part miniatures are the first set of their new First Empires miniature range. The First Empires range covers a wide swath of time starting with the first civilizations of the eastern Mediterranean through to the conquests of Alexander so plenty of interesting possibilities!

The mighty armies forged by Cyrus the Great, Darius, and Xerxes dominated the Eastern Mediterranean for centuries until finally falling to Alexander. Led by the elite Immortals, Persian armies were built from the many kingdoms and tribes conquered first by the Achaemenids including the Median, Lydian, and the Babylonian empires.  This box set can be used to create the infantry of Persia. They are in Median dress with heads suitable for several satrapies and allied tribes.

Check the full review below and let me know what you think of the review and these minis!

https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2020/06/wargames-atlantic-plastic-persian.html
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
Re: Wargames Atlantic: Plastic Persian Infantry Reviewed!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 06:38:50 PM »
They look nice, but the weapons look very thin and therefore fragile.

It is plastic, after all.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 10:34:30 PM »
They look nice, but the weapons look very thin and therefore fragile.

It is plastic, after all.

Same problem with Victrix. I replace most of the spears on my plastics anyway.
Those Persians do look pretty decent.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 10:52:34 PM »
The spears are thin but well detailed. For Persians you want the nice ball ends.

The plastic seems to have a bit more resilience than many. I painted my samples without mishaps. However I have had many plastic spears simply break at the hands while painting. That is most frustrating to be almost done and then break a spear or javelin, or simply drop it onto the desk and "snap."

For gaming I would have to replace these with metal. The climate here is dry and then coastal humid, over the years everything breaks. But I really hate drilling out hands on painted figures to replace busted spears, and everything stick better if glued before priming- so I will be proactive with these when I make an actual game unit.
JJonas

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 02:09:45 PM »
Does anyone make those sort of "Armani" Persians dressed in nice silk pyjamas like in the film 300?

I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 05:29:46 PM »
Wargames Foundry and
1st Corps, I think?

They are quite old figures and closer to 25mm though.
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 01:37:46 PM »
Thanks everybody for stopping by! To be honest think the miniatures are quite sturdy (the plastic is really good) even the spears and bows with an exception for the arrows which might be fragile that said really depends on how you handle and transport your miniatures but in my hands they would be fine as they are also not transported and safely stored. Maybe I'm just too careful :)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »
I also don't understand the argument that the weapons of Wargames Atlantic Persians or the Victrix Dark Ages miniatures are to thin / fragile. If you handle your miniatures carefully, nothing will break or go wrong. ;)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 09:00:03 PM »
I was thinking of ordering a box of these guys the other day to use, if nothing else, as a starting point for miscellaneous "eastern" units. Thanks so much for the review, Belgian!
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 06:22:14 PM »
I was thinking of ordering a box of these guys the other day to use, if nothing else, as a starting point for miscellaneous "eastern" units. Thanks so much for the review, Belgian!

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!  ;)

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 07:17:32 PM »
I also don't understand the argument that the weapons of Wargames Atlantic Persians or the Victrix Dark Ages miniatures are to thin / fragile. If you handle your miniatures carefully, nothing will break or go wrong. ;)

That axe handle looks very fragile. 

I guess one could treat them as a plastic model (which they are) and paint them and put them in the display case. 

Time will tell how robust they are.  I'm just tired of the fragile feathers on my Victrix Punic Wars Romans breaking when they are looked at. 

There is a reason why Games Workshop makes their plastic pieces robust and why so many gamers prefer metal miniatures.