Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:28:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chinese buildings WIP  (Read 12444 times)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Chinese buildings WIP
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »
Not as much as I hate him. ;)

Svennn The DH nut, sorry, Svennn  has come up trumps with these, top stuff, no need to scrap them, build more and fill the street. :)

As the others have said, some lanterns, a chicken(?) and clutter it will look spot on.
All you need now is a waterfront too with lots of sampans. ;)

Do you notice how he just ignores us now  :D

These buildings are great, keep it up
do you reckon he might notice that  :D

dodge

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 06:33:25 PM »

JimB - yes it is the TM Terrain piece and sadly I am running out fast. They do not appear to do it anymore :'(

Svennn

It's a very useful piece of kit, that tile sheet and a real shame they don't do it. I got a plastic one of Japanese roof tiles a few years ago but the buggers who made it have taken it out of production and there isn't anything close (I've dragged my wife round a good selection of model shops in Japan in the hope of finding some old stock, but to no avail, and it costs me a small fortune because every time I do I have to take us out for dinner that night  ::) )

Can't wait to see more  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »
For what it's worth,

In Shanghai, from a fairly early stage in the European occupation on, there was a distinctive mix of both Asian and European/Western building styles. It would not be out of place, especially along "The Bund" (the major thoroughfare in the International Settlement) to find a German Biergarden, a European office building built to mimic the style of Chinese architecture, and a Teahouse with a distinctively Indian style. This sort of thing happened even in Chinese "controlled" sections of Shanghai, as many prominent Chinese were anxious to prove their "sophistication" by mimicking WESTERN styles!

On the other hand, you could go to the French Concession, and find a majority of architecture done in a distinctively French and/or North European style. The French made a conscious effort to build "a slice of Paris" in the Concession. So you could easily use some of those French buildings that seem to be in every architectural range under the sun for 28mm. (Something to do with WW2, I suspect.)

So you have a great deal of latitude here in mixing the two. You could have distinctively Victorian, American, Indian, and Chinese style construction in the same area; by the 1920s, throw in the beginnings of Neo-Classical and Art Deco style architecture... and you've got quite a variety of stuff going on here.

Have you ever seen Bladerunner? I have often imagined that the huge city seen throughout the movie, with its fusion of Western and Eastern, might well be what Shanghai's International Settlement would have looked like if the Europeans had remained into the future.

-Doc

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »
Svennn, those buildings of yours look good. If you would like to get some really impressive inspiration, you need to buy this book:

It contains hundreds of beautiful watercolours of the streets of Beijing, painted by a contemporary artist living there in the twenties and thirties of past century. Look for this title here

http://www.cbt-chinabook.de/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.cbt-chinabook.de/

and search for "Beijing, wie es war" or the produkt-ID: 30.021.

It's not cheap, but definitely the best I've seen.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »
These buildings are excellent.  If more inspiration is needed, try to find some close up pitures of Bob Murch's "China Station" town.  This picture on the Pulp Figures website is a bit distant, but mayber there are some close ups of his buildings from conventions such as Enfilade 2009 where he presented "China Station" games:

http://www.pulpfigures.com/picshow.php?file=2&custID=761052541881249766901
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 04:40:55 AM »
It's not much less distant, but here's one of my photos of the Trumpter 2008 version of Bob Murch's China Station:

Flickr Link for notes & larger view.

Bob used corduroy fabric for some of the roofs - it makes passable 'tile' roofing especially when stiffened with white glue. It's also easy to form into compound curves with a styrofoam base under it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 04:43:03 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 01:02:57 PM »
That looks fantastic! Wow, thats a table I'd love to play on.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
I've often looked at the King and Country buildings and someday hope to copy them in a smaller scale.
http://kingandcountry.co.uk/indexproductcategories.asp?pcid=12&mcid=2

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »

The roofing for these 15mm C Asian buildings were made using HO/OO scale European pan tile roof sheets from Model railway suppliers.... I'm sure they'd do the job for Chinese style houses just as well in 25/28mm.
If you cut a strip of single tiles out of the sheet, trim the sides a bit and gently score where they join you can do the curved ridge tiling quite effectively.
I can't believe you have got such lovely results using the plastic embroidery grids. Why on earth didn't I think of that!?
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 12:57:03 AM »
Great to see this thread back, Svennn and Sukhe you guys can build me some Chinese buildings anytime!!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.