Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:03:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic Uniform Advice Required...  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Napoleonic Uniform Advice Required...
« on: June 26, 2020, 06:46:25 AM »
Recently have noticed the take off of turnip28 on facebook and instagram (post-apocalyptic Napoleonics with root vegetables!) and have decided to have a go, being a proud young Irishman I've decided to try my hand at an Irish-themed force:

Either the Irish Legion in French Service or the Spanish aligned Regiment of Hibernia

...But a question remains what miniatures are suitable? Specifically do the perry's have anything suitable?

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Re: Napoleonic Uniform Advice Required...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
Here's a painting guide for the Irish Legion in French service: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2018/11/02/some-napoleonic-french-foreign-legions-ab-figures-15mm/

For figures, just use any French Light Infantry figures, though avoid the 1812 'Bardin' uniforms. Carabinier Company in bearskin and Voltigeur Company in shako.  1st Battalion carried an Eagle.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 07:45:56 PM »
Thanks for that, also looking at the armed monks/civilians from the carlist war range, are the outfits too late or are they usable?

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 08:42:59 PM »
Thanks for that, also looking at the armed monks/civilians from the carlist war range, are the outfits too late or are they usable?
I'm not familiar with the figures, but I can't imagine that 1830s armed monks and civilians would be very different from 1808-1814 armed monks and civilians, so I'd say go for it.

By the way, the Irlanda Regiment in 1809 was dressed in the standard style of Spanish infantry uniform for that period.  The coatee was sky-blue with pale yellow lapels, cuffs, collar and tails, white piping and brass buttons.  Black cocked hat with red plume and cockade and yellow cockade-loop.  White belts.  White breeches with black gaiters.  Grenadiers had bearskins.  So just use ordinary Spanish infantry figures.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 12:50:30 AM »
Thanks for that, e: the Spanish civilians I cant imagine so, I do wonder about the headgear though, the beret furthest right is too late I think but anyone know what kind of hat the other two priests are wearing?

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 07:38:18 AM »
You would probably get away with the beret wearing priest, the basque beret has been around for a long time. I never heard of turnip28 till I read this thread, some very interesting ideas, probably too much kitbashing for my basic modelling skills, but very interested in seeing how you get on with this. :)

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 01:17:47 PM »
Just discovered turnip28. Found some weird but fantastic conversions out there.
Since this was the only thread here that mentioned it i decided to bump if to see if if we could get turnip28 better known although i reckon it would fit better in either fantasy or weird wars.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 03:45:58 PM »
 ???

Offline cipango666

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 03:48:57 PM »
There were three irish regiments in spanish service at the time of the french invasion. All three in light blue coats with pale yellow facings.
The Irlanda just as said above.
The Ultonia: collar,  cuffs, turnbacks and shoulders in yellow
The Hibernia: lapels, cuffs, turnbacks and shoulders in yellow.

The cut was the same as the other spanish, swiss and neapolitan regiments in spanich service.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 04:00:27 PM »
....... anyone know what kind of hat the other two priests are wearing?

That is a very, very extreme form of a "Canoa" or Boat Hat.  Having it in that style should be an exception rather than common practice.