Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Colonial South East Asian Adventure  (Read 7200 times)

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Re: Colonial South East Asian Adventure
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 01:19:59 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you very much for the continued miniature recommendations and pictures.
The Dutch Docu channel and FB page has been a great source, and special thanks to juergen c. olk for those pictures!

Progress has been relatively slow here. Work is slowly ramping up, and I'm a very slow painter..

Below you can see my first unit of Dutch soldiers from the end of the Aceh war.
I finally finished them off and based them! I am particularly happy with the look of the white trousers on the left.

The character on the right is based on J. B. van Heutsz, Military Governor of Aceh
I took the bearded gent from the German officers Copplestone set, filed off his beard, and added some shoulder epaulettes to complete the look.
Here's a side by side:

Also, my models from Gringo40's finally arrived!
I've painted up one test model, from their Taiping Rebels range, but am not quite satisfied..

The skin colour seems off (I tried to go for Northern Indonesian, which is generally lighter... but not this light..) and the clothing colours lend themselves more to Chinese rather than Indonesian origin I think.
Either way, its a test model - and as my girlfriend always likes to say while cooking, the first pancake is always the worst!  ;D

As per usual, any feedback is always appreciated!

Shtim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:25:54 PM by Shtim »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 02:13:08 PM »
Great use of those Copplestone figures in their new role. Those dark uniforms are pretty cool, aren't they?

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 02:55:37 PM »
Your figures look great.I still want to continue getting some more sculpted,some Acehnese warriors in fighting poses maybe with multiple heads.Some Dutch too,mostly 1890's but maybe some 1870's also..Definitely Van Heutsz. But all that will have to wait awhile I'm afraid.
Mark

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 08:29:14 PM »
Great use of those Copplestone figures in their new role. Those dark uniforms are pretty cool, aren't they?

I actually prefer them like that to the way they should be painted if they where Germans.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 08:36:17 PM »
The new stuff looks great.

Talking about  the skin tone of your Indonesian. I was having a similar issue with painting middle eastern skin tones for my Arabs in Africa. Plynkes pointed me in the direction of Foundry Paints who do a range of different skin tone paints perhaps their Oriental Flesh tones might be worth a look?

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/paint/products/122-oriental-flesh

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2020, 10:47:21 PM »
Interesting project and nice painting and terrain  8)

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2020, 06:41:16 AM »
I use Nutmeg color for Indonesians...every Dutch Regt. (KNIL) usually had two Native companies,,(Ambonese or Javanese or there were even some Zulu companies for awhile) Also there is the Penal Battalion (Vorlorn hope)the Penal Battalion was raised from convicts .who if they survived (unarmed)one year,their jail terms would be terminated.They had to put the scaling ladders on the Fort walls and fill the ditches and chop thru bamboo walls//not many would  survive. They wore white plain clothing and a red sash or armband.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2020, 12:26:01 PM »
These are 28mm from Steve Barber .odels

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2020, 01:18:16 PM »
Yes some are in 1870's uniforms and tall kepis and some are in 1880's-90's sun helmet.I believe they switched to slouch hats starting in the 1890's until the early 1900's.
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »
I got this book last year.It's hard to come by,Amazon has one and it's $245  :o.I didn't pay nearly that much for mine but it has a lot of photos in it.
Mark

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2020, 09:26:15 PM »
I use Nutmeg color for Indonesians...every Dutch Regt. (KNIL) usually had two Native companies,,(Ambonese or Javanese or there were even some Zulu companies for awhile) Also there is the Penal Battalion (Vorlorn hope)the Penal Battalion was raised from convicts .who if they survived (unarmed)one year,their jail terms would be terminated.They had to put the scaling ladders on the Fort walls and fill the ditches and chop thru bamboo walls//not many would  survive. They wore white plain clothing and a red sash or armband.

Thanks for all the information! Could you provide a source for the Penal battalion - I would love to know more?

I've looked into the African regiments (I assume thats what you mean by Zulu), although the last African troops were brought over in the 1870's if I recall correctly, so a bit too early for my 1900-ish timeline! (edit: see here, at 07:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KENqdtUqKNI)

Thanks a lot! I'm pretty happy with them, if I do say so myself!

Your figures look great.I still want to continue getting some more sculpted,some Acehnese warriors in fighting poses maybe with multiple heads.Some Dutch too,mostly 1890's but maybe some 1870's also..Definitely Van Heutsz. But all that will have to wait awhile I'm afraid.
Mark

Thanks for your comment! I really should look into those models you got sculpted... so much to buy! so much to do!

Also thanks a lot for the book recommendation in your other comment!

The new stuff looks great.

Talking about  the skin tone of your Indonesian. I was having a similar issue with painting middle eastern skin tones for my Arabs in Africa. Plynkes pointed me in the direction of Foundry Paints who do a range of different skin tone paints perhaps their Oriental Flesh tones might be worth a look?

Fantastic suggestion! Thank you kindly :D

These are 28mm from Steve Barber .odels

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Shipka! They're on my list :)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:09:36 PM by Shtim »

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2020, 10:06:28 PM »
I can;t remember the scource for the Penal battalion.it;s been 35 years ...and the Zulus were imported from South Africa..but after like 6 months proved to be unsuited for service and it was discontinued.I;ll see if I can find the article on the Penal battalion..i know it something to do with Aceh campaigns.

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »
Hi All,

Very short update for you today - I'm leaving town for a week, so have been spending less time painting miniatures and more time finishing off work!

First off, another character for my little settlement: a Dutch missionary spreading the word of god!

Second, I'm happy to say that my Eureka Dayak Warriors finally arrived. Absolutely fantastic models, perfect scale, and very easy to paint - I love them!
After my previous troubles with the Indonesian skin tone, I thought I'd try again on a new Eureka test model - the results of which can be seen below:

I am much happier with the outcome, and will be using this method from now on. While the skin is still not as light as I'd like it, I think it works well - and its easy to paint!
Naturally, any feedback is welcome.

Scale wise they're smaller than the Gringo40s models I received last week, although I think the Gringo's were a tad big...
Seeing as the Dutch are supposed to be taller anyway, I think the slender Indonesian figure works well.
Comparison below: Copplestone Commander, Foundry Missionary, Eureka Indonesian Warrior (although he comes across as smaller because he's crouching)

And in the office book case display:

Once I come back, I'll be sure to start properly painting the force!

Shtim
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 04:27:33 PM by Shtim »

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2020, 04:32:48 PM »
I have the Dayaks also but are not painted yet.
Mark

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2020, 04:51:53 PM »
Great stuff  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/