Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:45:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Resin, Is It SioCast, Or?  (Read 4338 times)

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
Warlord Resin, Is It SioCast, Or?
« on: June 27, 2020, 10:51:28 PM »
As the title asks, are the newish Warlord Resin figures SioCast like the newest 15mm recasts by PSC?

(Mod edit: corrected for clarity)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:05:59 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: Warlord Resin, Is It Sinocast, Or?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 11:35:57 AM »
As the title asks, are the newish Warlord Resin figures sinocast like the newest 15mm recasts by PSC?

Whats sinocast?
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 02:24:00 PM »
Heck if I know but maybe it means cast in China?  Like Sino-Soviet conflict would be between China and Russia.  ???

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 02:25:47 PM »
Whats sinocast?

Or a species of Woolly Mammoth that died out because of hereditary sinus problems? :D
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 03:39:51 PM »
I think that he may have meant "SioCast".

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 06:09:32 PM »
Ah, that is almost certainly it.  So, that is why the proliferation of plastic molded figures. 

I still - and will always - prefer metal. 

We already have too much plastic pollution on the planet and this just exacerbates that (and, yes, I know metal is from an extractive industry and frought with its own problems but at least it will more readily decay or at least not pollute).  Now, the acrylic paints we use, that too is also a problem.  Always trade offs, want this, pay that - and 'that' is more than the purchase price.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 03:54:53 AM »
iOS autocorrect.  Sorry. Yes, siocast like PSC is using for their 15mm recasts.

It’s good to see a sense of humour on here!

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
Re: Warlord Resin, Is It SioCast, Or?
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 09:55:19 PM »
I have only seen pictures online of the Warlord and PSC siocast stuff and they both look similar to the soft plastic toy soldiers from Esci or Airfix.

I understand why Warlord are producing them this way but why are they the same cost as metal figures if they are cheaper to produce? If they are the same cost to me the buyer I am always going to choose a reliable metal alternative.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 12:20:53 AM »
Battlefront is going this way with their "thermoplastic" infantry...which, while "okay" are absolutely not on par with their hard plastic infantry that I've picked up.  The reviews I watches of PSC's new stuff for Battlegroup NORTHAG put me off the game entirely.  The thermoplastic Soviets I have on hand paint up fine, but lack heavily in detail - particularly on support weapons, cases, and lack the fine detail of the 15mm Soviets from the same company which are...shockingly good.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 09:32:51 AM »
Ah, that is almost certainly it.  So, that is why the proliferation of plastic molded figures. 

I still - and will always - prefer metal. 

We already have too much plastic pollution on the planet and this just exacerbates that (and, yes, I know metal is from an extractive industry and frought with its own problems but at least it will more readily decay or at least not pollute).  Now, the acrylic paints we use, that too is also a problem.  Always trade offs, want this, pay that - and 'that' is more than the purchase price.

Nothing about this hobby is eco-friendly

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 07:29:35 PM »
Battlefront is going this way with their "thermoplastic" infantry...which, while "okay" are absolutely not on par with their hard plastic infantry that I've picked up.  The reviews I watches of PSC's new stuff for Battlegroup NORTHAG put me off the game entirely.  The thermoplastic Soviets I have on hand paint up fine, but lack heavily in detail - particularly on support weapons, cases, and lack the fine detail of the 15mm Soviets from the same company which are...shockingly good.

I'm hanging on to my box of plastic PSC 'Modern' Soviet Infantry.. when all of you only have access to resin I will sell it for a lot of money :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 05:35:45 PM »
Nothing about this hobby is eco-friendly

Nothing about this hobby is particularly eco-evil, either.  It pales in comparison to plastic food packaging, or almost anything else plastic people own.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 07:26:11 PM »
Regardless of any environmental advantages or disadvantages, I'd be reluctant to buy anything made from SioCast because of its apparent properties as a material.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 09:35:08 PM »
I hadn't heard of siocast specifically before , but it seems their system is a reworked version of a jewellers wax injection machine, even using the same slab cut vulcanised mould.
It's very odd that they seem to be marketing mostly too miniature manufacturers, Since I'd imagine small scale plastic injection moulding to be of interest to a far larger field.

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 04:25:20 AM »
Regardless of any environmental advantages or disadvantages, I'd be reluctant to buy anything made from SioCast because of its apparent properties as a material.

I've been using Warlord resin for the first time recently. Beautiful detailing, but rather than bend or break cleanly with metal or plastic seems to have a habit of several pieces breaking off when dropped. Rather annoying.