Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warg Riders  (Read 2308 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Warg Riders
« on: October 18, 2020, 04:46:07 PM »
Orc warg riders completed!

This project’s been running for a while so I thought it was high time I got these chaps together for a team photo. I had a load of GW LOTR metal warg riders who had been serving as the cavalry in my Tolkien orc army for some years - lovely models, but more hyena than wolf I’m afraid.  When the Oathmark goblin wolf riders appeared I decided to ring the changes and get a replacement cavalry wing.

Problem was that I was never really ok with the new plastic wolves.  The kit is amazing value and the riders are awesome, but the wolves just didn’t do it for me (I’ve seen some impressive conversions and paint jobs on these, but they just didn’t tick my vision of a Tolkien warg or wolf). 

So, I ended up spending several months researching and ordering various wolf minis.  Eventually I settled on these guys.  The main rank and file wolves (with riders) are plastic boardgame pieces from the Zombiecide: Blood Rage expansion; the big wargs (ridden by the leaders and in the individual warg unit) are OOP metal castings by Mierce Miniatures.  There are also a few extra Reaper and Otherworld Games wolves in there too.

The riders are pretty much all Oathmark with some extra pieces from other kits, most notably Warlord Games orcs.  The fact that these two kits are split at the waist made converting riders great fun, and no two are the same.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: Warg Riders
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 04:54:06 PM »
And here’s a few workbench shots of the riders and wolves in construction. I only managed to get two poses of the Zombiecide wolves, hence I ended up cutting several in half to swap components around!  Fortunately the joins were mostly disguised by the riders, and I could greenstuff over any gaps. In these you can also see some of the various kit pieces that I mashed up with the Oathmark figures: Warlord Games orcs, Perry WOTR helmets and arms, Fireforge sergeants’ arms, and one or two Wargames Atlantic Irish bits.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 05:54:42 PM »
These are fantastic, your wolves look far more like the real deal!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:17:04 PM by Will Bailie »

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »
Wow  :o! These are looking feral and fabulous!

Much closer to what I imagine LotR Wargriders to look like than the original Oathmark kit. I can see why you wanted to follow through on your vision!

"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 07:44:20 PM »
Brilliant work! They really fit the image I have in my own mind.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 10:27:01 AM »
Great looking warg riders. Excellently converted, nicley posed and beautifully painted  :-*
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 10:41:32 AM »
Wow  :o! These are looking feral and fabulous!

Much closer to what I imagine LotR Wargriders to look like than the original Oathmark kit. I can see why you wanted to follow through on your vision!

Thanks everyone.  It took me a while to get what I wanted, but I’m glad I managed to get there. Now hoping to use these in a few games!

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 06:52:34 PM »
Wowser! They look tremendous. The poses and painting are spot on.  :o
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 10:13:10 AM »
Great looking wolves :)

I'll have to scrounge up some zombiecide wolves to mix in with the GW Fellwargs and Fenrisian wolves.