Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rubicon Vietnam  (Read 4520 times)

Offline manchesterreg

• Librarian
Rubicon Vietnam
« on: July 01, 2020, 07:37:29 AM »
Rubicon have advertised their new project the Vietnam War 1955 - 1975 first models will be VC on their facebook page.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Rubicon Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »
Interesting. While I lovee their models I’m currently pretty heavily invested in 1/50 vehicles, so I can’t see myself shifting.

As for their figures... Well they would need to be a quantum leap from their current plastic crew figures, which tend to have rather soft detail. Not seen their metal figures, so can’t comment but the Empress Paul Hicks sculpts are going to take some beating.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »
Oh dear. I just looked at the renders. Why do so many manufacturers go with the trope of Viet Cong  wearing nón lá hats? I’ve yet to see many photos of NLF troops wearing them.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 12:49:04 PM »

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 01:11:52 PM »
Oh dear. I just looked at the renders. Why do so many manufacturers go with the trope of Viet Cong  wearing nón lá hats? I’ve yet to see many photos of NLF troops wearing them.
It might be worth putting some constructive criticism on the Rubicon WIP thread.
They are generally responsive.
[Edit] Not saying you were not being constructive.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:38:38 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 01:15:52 PM »
Interesting. While I lovee their models I’m currently pretty heavily invested in 1/50 vehicles, so I can’t see myself shifting.
I have to agree, I have a lot of post Korea stuff in 1/50.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »
Rubicon in the past have been a bit awry with their sources. So I wouldn't put it past them to be going with what's the most available material out there as opposed to the most accurate. I assume that different staff work on projects - so some may be better at knowing what's correct than others.

...At least their new Panzer IIIs don't have 4 engine deck panels instead of 3.  ::)

Any plastic range is good. Doesn't matter what the period. Admitedly yes, I've also found that their details on plastic figures tend to be a bit soft; particularly with the faces. For comparison the older Wargames Factory models which were produced using a similar process were much shaper.

The infantry has no interest to me. Probably would to Vietnam collectors, though for soldiers I usually prefer metal regardless. Its the plastic vehicles which have my attention, however I have a feeling that the options may be a bit limited for my own purposes ( Soviet Vietnam era kit isn't as widely used in the 2020s in Europe). Still, as a period the equipment used would persist for decades after the war. I'd just hope that Rubicon or another company would make some upgrade kits for later variants (though there's so many out there that it may not be viable to even attempt). A company for instance taking any US vehicles and selling kits to make them suitable for Desert Storm seems like an interesting idea.

So whilst I'm all for these releases, I'm not sure there's going to be much to interest me here. Empress' 1980s metal range has more going for it as far as generic modern figures suitable for multiple conflicts go. Outside of the US soldiers here I'm not sure on what would really do for later events which people actually play.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »
It might be worth putting some constructive criticism on the Rubicon WIP thread.
They are generally responsive.

Please don't  lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
I find it interesting how certain wars can get "hot" at times.
Vietnam has not been that popular of late but now there a several
companies putting really nice figures for it. I guess there is an ebb and
flow to certain periods.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »
I will stay with 1/50 vehicles , too and I think it will be very difficult to beat the metal miniatures avalable with plastics. If they would have the quality of Victrix Napoleonics then possibly , yes otherwise ,no.

and i think the Vietnam war gets more popular because time goes by and there aren't that many feelings hurt  by playing a vietnam wargame.
I know that there are enough fellow wargamers who refrain from gaming modern warfare because it is to close for comfort and I think that is quite well understandable.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 09:29:14 AM »

Would now be a good time to take you up on your kind offer?  :D

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 10:57:40 PM »
I will stay with 1/50 vehicles , too and I think it will be very difficult to beat the metal miniatures avalable with plastics. If they would have the quality of Victrix Napoleonics then possibly , yes otherwise ,no.

and i think the Vietnam war gets more popular because time goes by and there aren't that many feelings hurt  by playing a vietnam wargame.
I know that there are enough fellow wargamers who refrain from gaming modern warfare because it is to close for comfort and I think that is quite well understandable.

I think that's a good point, but I don't know anyone playing Desert Storm, perhaps not because it's so sensitive/repugnant, but probably because it's simply so one-sided. Anyone volunteering to build up forces for the Iraqi infantry divisions? Thought not.

And Vietnam has undergone something of a rehabilitation since the 80s-90s.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 12:43:04 AM »
I think that's a good point, but I don't know anyone playing Desert Storm, perhaps not because it's so sensitive/repugnant, but probably because it's simply so one-sided. Anyone volunteering to build up forces for the Iraqi infantry divisions? Thought not.

Well, I've got a Kuwaiti Armoured Regiment on the painting table to field against my Iraqis. So sometimes it can be fun to play the underdog ;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 02:34:08 AM »

And Vietnam has undergone something of a rehabilitation since the 80s-90s.

Too late in the piece to spark much interest from me and as you say terribly one sided for the most part. That said Command Decision did a great little scenario for the USMC clearing Kuwait International airport that's reasonably well balanced.

One of my long term on again, off again projects has been building some forces for Operation Vantage, the 1961 British response to Iraq's threatened invasion of Kuwait.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 12:42:08 PM »

Can I interpret this to mean the female fighters will be well represented in your range?  :D