Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:53:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685058
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dust Plains Snakemen  (Read 2938 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Dust Plains Snakemen
« on: July 05, 2020, 04:59:18 PM »
Welcome to my Dust Planes Snakemen project log, unlike my other painting logs which show my scattershot painting efforts this one is explicitly focused on my attempt to make a 1000pt Age of Fantasy force.

Age of Fantasy for those who don't know is an entirely free ruleset that allows you to use familiar models in new and interesting ways. A game thats simple to learn and hard to master, it allows for fun, quick games yet has alot of depth to it. Its part of the "One Page" series of rules and is well worth a look in. I enjoy it at least haha

Now I've got a large AOS/WFB Dwarf army which could easily fit in, I've also got various human forces from other games that could easily be used as the human faction. But I wanted a force explicitly for it, something a bit unique and focused for that ruleset.

Then a lightning strike, what about a Beastman list ? Its fairly simple and since Age of Fantasys Beastmen arent explicitly Chaos I dont have to be irritated by eight pointed stars everywhere and a lack of characterization. It also doesnt require many models (both because of the ruleset and the army list) so its fairly cheap and easy to store. Huzzah !

I don't like Goatmen though.

Thankfully I really like the 5th ed GW Lizardmen sculpts which have a distinctively primitive look compared to their modern counterparts and have a few sitting around. Not only are they more primitive looking but they also vaguely resemble the (very nice) Frostgrave Snakemen whom I'll incorporate into the force.

So after a rummage around I found these guys. Lets see where this goes

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dust Plains Snakemen
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 08:20:53 AM »
So, the 5th Ed Lizardmen Sauras warriors work fine as Snakemen simply because their not as Dino esque as their more modern counterparts. The Skinks however are quite close but have an issue, the crest. There's no such thing as a crested snake. So it was experimentation time. This was actually fairly risky because this was the ONLY plastic skink I had so if this fouled up I'd have to buy some (which adds time/money etc). Thankfully it seems to have gone ok in my opinion, using a scalpel and clippers and I shaved the crest off (unfortunately I had to take the top of the arrows off but eh) and here we are.

This guy should represent one of the "Hunters" in the list (effectively a Ungor with Shortbow to use its GW comparison)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 04:36:16 PM »
So with that experiment completed  it seemed like the time had come to finally put paint to model. A tester model, but a model none the less. Looking at Desert lizards and Snakes gave me lots of idea for colour schemes, they all tended to range towards the brown/yellow end of the sprctrum as is to be expected.

A simple white primer followed up with an all over of Aggros Dunes, I really like contrast paints and Aggros Dunes can be used for so much ! This was followed with Leather Brown scales, Cadian Green for leather (I'm going for a vague Native American feel so trying to use more naturalistic colours and stuff you'd have on hand) eith Blood Angels Red contradtfor fabric and Brainmatter Beige (with a wash) for wood. Metal is Bronze for your standard troops and iron/steel for the more Elite warriors.

Whilst I like the 5th edition Shields for these guys their a little too Meso American for my taste so I'm making my own in greenstuff

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 04:46:58 PM »
I do like him.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 06:52:33 AM »
A very cool old-school-vibe figure. But IMHO it's more of a lizardman than a snakeman.

Offline djbii

• Librarian
  • The Goblin King
    • HotT 'n' Stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 10:10:31 AM »
I am really interested in this thread. Maybe removing the teeth and adding fangs might make them look more snakey?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:13:54 AM by djbii »
A life spent making mistakes is not only honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” –  George Bernard Shaw

https://hottnstuff.blogspot.com/ (was http://hitlh.blogspot.com.au/)

Offline djbii

• Librarian
  • The Goblin King
    • HotT 'n' Stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »
BTW I made some snakemen from old Heroquest and Battlemaster orcs.

have a look at https://hitlh.blogspot.com/2018/03/snakemen-i-finally-finished-my-snakemen.html

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
I am really interested in this thread. Maybe removing the teeth and adding fangs might make them look more snakey?

I like to think of it as a caste system. With these guys being on the bottom rung being the least snake like of the castes. Used for labour and standard battleline fodder.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 11:20:36 AM »
So with your bog standard Warriors out the way its time for the Raiders. Unlike their Warrior brethren this caste is higher ranked, more intelligent and snake like in bearing. Complex plans and hunting tactics are utilised on the battlefield to great effect as sun-drained armies find themselves pelted with bow fire from seemingly empty outcrops.

5th edition skink with the above mentioned de-cresting conversion and the Dust Plains paint scheme.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »
really like how this is going. Very effective painting style.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 02:54:29 PM »
From the Elite of the Elite come the warriors called...Elites. Yeah sometimes One Page Rules naming conventions can be a bit  off but lets be honest, 'Best'-i-gor isn't exactly a genius name from Gw now eh ?

Simply a Frostgrave Ghost Archipelego Snakeman armed with a great weapon (as is the standard loadout for Beastmen 'Elites'. Unlike his brethren he has iron/steel weapons to indicate his higher status. Within my own fluff they are considered the superior caste, the most Snakelike and strongest.

These guys are a bit of a faff to mount on  25mm bases (they come with 30mm) and future ones will have legs bent somewhat to ensure they stay within, nothing I hate more in a miniature then overhang.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »
With a great flourish the thread returns ! Ironically these minis have been painted a while but I always forget to put them on the forums after they go on social media.

Anyway, the single Snakeman warrior has now multiplied into a massive unit of 15! In my original list I only needed 10, but I had the other 5 so what the heck. Still shieldless, my attempt at making the Native American shields failed miserably so altered original shields it is. These guys arent exactly. Chod but they'll take the brunt of the combat I think.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 08:55:07 AM »
Took a while but the shields are done ! This casting buisness is a real pain.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 05:42:48 PM »
Nice work.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 03:04:31 PM »
Finished the Elite unit, a bit of a faff because some details are crisp but others a bit lacking.