Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Monolith Designs still in business?  (Read 2787 times)

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
Monolith Designs still in business?
« on: July 06, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »
This seems to be a question that comes up every few years here according to my searches.

But does anyone know if Monolith Designs is still in business?

http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/index.htm

I e-mailed what I believe is the owner Stephen Mussared (SMssrd@***.com) twice without a reply.

Just wanted to know if I should forget it or if is worth trying to contact him in other ways.

Thanks!
/Andreas

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Monolith Designs still in business?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 11:46:32 AM »
I don't know if he's still trading, but Steve Mussared is still around - he can be found on Facebook doing various Steampunk re-enactment things. I've come across him a couple of times recently. (I'm assuming it's the same guy. Can't be that many Steve Mussareds who are into these sorts of hobbies... )
Maybe worth trying to make contact via Fb?
It's a shame if he's not in business any more. He had a great range of buildings.

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 12:20:11 PM »
Ah that’s smart, didn’t think about FB, thanks!

Contacted him there, hopefully Monolith is still running!  :)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 12:40:01 PM »
I will be delighted if they are still trading, albeit I fear the answer is “no”. I was always surprised that no-one else bought the range. Great range of buildings. Well detailed and used a robust but lightweight resin.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 02:04:22 PM »
I have had a few good and easy transactions by messaging him here.
Just noted he hasn't been on for a while.
I hope he is OK as seems a fine chap.

Offline Tadgie

• Bookworm
  • Too many projects. Too little time.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 02:59:44 PM »
I had some luck contacting him a while back but the last two times I have tried I didn’t get an answer. It does seem a bit hit and miss but when I did get a reply he was happy to send me minis.
Let us know how you get on.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 07:10:42 PM »
I swopped emails with him a few months ago - he's been running off selling stock since 2007 (family issues), and is now basically out of most things.
The ranges are currently all for sale
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 02:29:16 AM »
I hope someone picks up the license and the moulds to sell Monolith again as it's excellent stuff. Someone was selling some of the Bronze Age Greek buildings on ebay recently but I think they were re-casts as the quality of both the casting and resin was woeful.

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 07:23:35 AM »
I'd love some. I have noticed some members of the Congo FB group posting photos from games and there always seems to be scenery by Monolith featured.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 09:42:52 AM »
Steve’s a great guy, I hope he manages to sell his ranges on as both graven and monolith are fantastic

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 10:33:43 AM »
I hope someone picks up the license and the moulds to sell Monolith again as it's excellent stuff. Someone was selling some of the Bronze Age Greek buildings on ebay recently but I think they were re-casts as the quality of both the casting and resin was woeful.
Aye - I bought some and promptly returned them as the casting detail was horrifically bad. He also appears to be selling some snapdragon scenery bits that I presume are recast too...

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 11:55:25 AM »
Aye - I bought some and promptly returned them as the casting detail was horrifically bad. He also appears to be selling some snapdragon scenery bits that I presume are recast too...

Snapdragon. There's blast from the past. Miss those buildings, especially the sci-fi ones.  :'(

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 11:56:37 PM »

I had some from what i imagine to be the same seller.Pictures looked like Snapdragon pieces.When they arrived the casting was terrible and not the same resin.Was wondering if anyone knows the owner of Snapdragon to let him know about a re-caster.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 07:38:54 AM »
I think Snapdragon (also, for a while, Moondragon?) stopped trading several years ago. I don’t want to start a terrible rumour, but a little voice at the back of my head is telling me that I recall hearing that the original owner and creator of the pieces (whose name now escapes me, Chris something?) died. But I could be completely wrong. He certainly sold the business at one point, then IIRC, took it back again - or started over with a very similar set of models.
Sorry, for some reason this has got all very muddled in the old memory cells!
Anyway, it may be that the recaster concerned has acquired the moulds legitimately, or he / she may just be a thieving pirate. In which case, Wapping Dock awaits.

Offline Pench

• Student
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 08:43:47 AM »
What Steve is still around? This guy bloody owes me tons of money from my last Monolith order, years ago :-[
Been a customer for years, spending again and again and, suddenly, he became mute and deaf. I read he had some sort of family issue back then, still I've been chasing him for years, like many others, to simply have a word. That guy is a crook to me, as far as I know of.
Formely known as "Penchour"