Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:58:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686441
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question re: Modern Soviet/Russian Uniforms  (Read 792 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Question re: Modern Soviet/Russian Uniforms
« on: July 06, 2020, 03:46:27 PM »
Not sure where to put this question.  I guess workbench makes sense as this question is about trying to make decisions about painting our minis... on the workbench.

So, why do the Russians seem to use the same or similar camouflage to the US?  They have a multicam, woodland camouflage, and others that look just like the US.  They even have a version of green and brown SS-era camouflage.  I don't understand why.  This could cause fatal confusion.

Can anyone explain it to me?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Question re: Modern Soviet/Russian Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 10:29:47 PM »
Fashion pure and simple. Standing out in something distinctive is meant to foster the notion that you are somehow special or elite. You can ask a similar question as to why matelots and aircraft mechanics need to wear camouflage outfits in vivid blues and greys.

Multicam and variations thereof has sought of become the default setting for much of the world’s militaries as it has a residual connection with SF types. Woodland/ERDL and a million variations had the same function in the 1980s/90s. It’s essentially the same thing as to why kepis were popular on the mid 19th C then pickelhaubes were the thing after the. Franco Prussian War or, for that matter, why 9/10ths of the world’s airborne favour maroon or red berets.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 10:49:04 PM »
Sure, that makes sense for berets and accouterments, but to wear almost the same uniform as your enemy?  You're going to get shot by your own people.  Why do the Russians do this?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 11:05:23 PM »
As I have tried to point out, it’s not just the Russians. How important a factor similar uniforms are in terms of fratricide is another matter entirely. Throughout history, right into the modern age there have been opponents wearing similarly coloured and/or styled uniforms. The increasing use of similar small arms systems and ammunition, with distinctive sound signatures is probably as great an issue as camo.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 08:01:21 AM »
Since then, as bright uniforms on the battlefield are gone., a military suit has not been the main marker of opponents on the battlefield. He performs the exact opposite function - to make a soldier "invisible".
Also take an interest in the average level of casualties from "friendly fire" in modern conditions - this also means something :)
But if it comes to hand-to-hand combat - then your question may become relevant  ;)

But seriously, I recommend taking a look, for example, at the initial stage of the armed conflict in Ukraine. Opposing sides easily solved this problem with the help of colored adhesive tape and fabric ribbons.