Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:12:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Five Leagues from the Borderlands - The Gentlemen of Much-Piddling  (Read 31279 times)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Five Leagues from the Borderlands - The Gentlemen of Much-Piddling
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2023, 12:36:13 AM »
That is a lovely looking town.  Perfect for a long deadly night.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2023, 10:07:30 PM »
That is a lovely looking town.  Perfect for a long deadly night.

His Lordship lays out an excellent table when hosting a game or providing comestibles  :D

Doug

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #257 on: September 17, 2023, 08:47:47 AM »
> To reduce sight-lines for ranged weapons, Dangling-in-the-Mire has more buildings and roads.

One problem I have with solo / coop miniature skirmish games is their lack of guidance for terrain. When two players play and one sets up while the other chooses which side to enter, there's something of a balance to create a fair tabletop (unless you have advantage over a specific terrain type and your opponent doesn't...). Not just L5R, but I've noticed in other miniature skirmish games how much better ranged weapons are *if* the terrain allows it. And, of course, when setting up terrain, you're not always thinking about balancing out ranged vs. melee, especially if you haven't played the game system much.

Anyway, try the Lasting Tales demo and Sellswords and Spellslingers to see if mandatory objectives make the game more interesting. S&S is only $8 for 10 scenarios.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/353669/Lasting-Tales--Demo-Rules
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/231567/Sellswords-and-Spellslingers-Solo-and-Cooperative-fantasy-Miniature-Rules
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #258 on: January 01, 2024, 11:35:37 PM »
I was considering purchasing Five Leagues, so read through the entire thread. What wonderful looking battles and fun storyline. It is the campaign aspect of Five Leagues that attracts me. I own Five Parsecs, but have yet to play it. In fact, I intend to weld Five Leagues onto another rules system (Wilely Games Core Rules) for the battles themselves. I just need to do the necessary pre-work to get everything linked up. On the off-chance, has anyone else done this?

Just curious, as the campaign has left off abruptly, are games still going on? Are the Gentlemen of Much-Piddling still piddling around with Five Leagues? Have they one off to something else? Just curious...

Mike Demana

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #259 on: January 02, 2024, 01:34:17 AM »
Lovely minis and table

Anyway, try the Lasting Tales demo and Sellswords and Spellslingers to see if mandatory objectives make the game more interesting. S&S is only $8 for 10 scenarios.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/353669/Lasting-Tales--Demo-Rules
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/231567/Sellswords-and-Spellslingers-Solo-and-Cooperative-fantasy-Miniature-Rules

I haven't played Five Leagues, but my group did try Five Parsecs and we found the ranged to be far too deadly.

A few other things Sellswords does that you can try
* have an ambush mechanic, where bad guys can appear basically on top of PCs
* have spawning where the bad guys appear on any table edge
* make the ranged combat harder by lowering the to hit. Even crappy foes like zombies have DLs of 6 or so, meaning usually only 75% hit. And larger foes have DLs of 10+, which means 50% of shots are going to miss.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #260 on: January 02, 2024, 07:45:34 AM »
Just curious, as the campaign has left off abruptly, are games still going on? Are the Gentlemen of Much-Piddling still piddling around with Five Leagues? Have they one off to something else? Just curious...

Mike, glad you enjoyed it. There were three (I think) more battles in the campaign. I lost momentum with it, on a temporary basis. All our characters, notes and play-sheets are stored on the PC, awaiting the day when we wish to restart.

In the meantime, I have talked the Gentlemen into playing an on-line campaign of What A Cowboy! We are due to play the fourth game tomorrow. Reports of the first two games are here on the LAF. Game three has been played but the startling events have not yet been revealed to the general public!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 07:47:49 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #261 on: January 02, 2024, 05:05:47 PM »
There were three (I think) more battles in the campaign. I lost momentum with it, on a temporary basis. All our characters, notes and play-sheets are stored on the PC, awaiting the day when we wish to restart.

Thanks for the reply, Nathan! My copy of the book should be arriving in the next day or so.

Any suggestions on tweaks or things you changed as far as the campaign portions go? As I mentioned earlier, I am thinking of using a different rules set to fight out the skirmishes, but want to use Five Leagues for generating the campaign events and such. What are your thoughts (mad or sane as they may be  :D )?

Mike Demana