Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:57:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TYW Scenario Book  (Read 1505 times)

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
TYW Scenario Book
« on: July 10, 2020, 09:42:15 PM »
I am delighted to say the 3rd scenario book for the Twilight of Divine Right rules has been published. It is called 'To the Peace of the Pyrenees' and is available from the Pike and Shot society -
https://www.pikeandshotsociety.org/

This scenario booklet feature battles from the Thirty Years War (1618-48) and up to the Peace of the Pyrenees (1663). It features the following 15 scenarios from diverse campaigns and featuring many different armies.

Wimpfen, 6th May 1622
Hochst, 20th June 1622
Crossing the Lech, 15th April 1632
Lützen, 16th November 1632
1st Nordlingen, 6th September 1634
Wittenweier, 9th August 1638
Honnecourt, 26th May 1642
2nd Breitenfeld, 2nd November 1642
Rocroi, 19th May 1643
2nd Lleida (Lérida), 15th May 1644
Freiburg, 3rd & 5th August 1644
Rochetta Tanaro, 23rd September 1653 (Franco-Spanish War)
Valenciennes, 16th July 1656 (Franco-Spanish War)
Dunes, 14th June 1658 (Franco-Spanish War)
Ameixial, 8th June 1663 (Portuguese Restoration War)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:07:26 PM by WFGamers »

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: TYW Scenario Book
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 01:40:28 AM »
Literally the day I just finished piecing together a Höchst scenario from various sources?!  :D Just kidding. This'll be a must-buy for me.

edit: ordered.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 09:01:53 AM by Battle Brush Sigur »

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 03:02:26 PM »
...and received!

Must be record time from the UK to here.

15 more scenarios, 11 of them set in the thirty years war, 3 in the Franco-Spanish war (which basically was the appendix to the TYW. In 1648 everybody made peace, apart from France and Spain as the French wanted to settle who's boss in westernmost Europe once and for all), and one scenario set in the Portuguese restoration war. Since 1640 Portuguese nobles led an uprising against the Spanish rulers, which led to a lively scrap which lasted until 1668 and the result of Portugal becoming an independent kingdom.

Apart from that the book contains a basing guide, mainly directed at new players using 15mm figures, a FAQ/Errata for the main rules and the scenario books which have been released prior to this one. In the front of the book we'll find the very useful listing of abbreviations used and an explanation of game terms, so the scenarios can be used with any set of rules without a problem. The scenario maps look a bit nicer than in the prior scenario books I think.

Nice book, well worth a purchase. One thing I notice about the scenarios is that they very often come with a LOT of cavalry units. Given how the game  calculates between 500 and 600 men per unit it works out with the number of men listed in other sources I read (lately I read a lot about the battle of Höchst, which is featured in this scenario book, so I was able to compare directly), but I'm not sure if all of those should be treated as separate units. In the end it comes down to personal preference and what you have at hand. By now I got quite a lot of cavalry units, but some of the scenarios (and those from the other book I got) I'll have to 'bathtub' a little.

Anyway, very useful book

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
these battle scenarios are they just for these rules are do they give a unit based breakdown of the battle?  ie each foot and horse unit and not just 'brigades'

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »
In looking at the book next to those miniatures I'm assuming that the scenarios are mainly designed for smaller scales. I've got a 6' x 4' table at home at present with the potential for an 8 x 12 when I get around to ordering one! And doing some serious sorting out/tidying up.

I'm socially distancing due to health reasons so can't get to the club even when it does reopen.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 02:17:36 PM »
Hope it's okay for me to chime in here.

@Frostie: The scenarios are kept generic and, as mentioned above, there's a few paragraphs on how to use the book with other rules sets. The orders of battle don't include much information beyond brigades (including type/tactics, pike-to-musket-ratio and possible extras such as regimental guns, etc), but the book includes how large a body of men the rules means by writing "brigade". (for what it's worth based on paper strength, abstracted strength, strength on the day, etc.).

@Atheling: The rules (as all rules of course) have nothing to do with the size of the figures. Distances are calculated based on base width ( see my review of Twilight of Divine Right here: https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/?s=twilight ), so you can use any sort of figures or bases you like. The scenarios are written with a 12cm frontage to units (infantry or cavalry) in mind.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 04:19:11 PM »
@Atheling: The rules (as all rules of course) have nothing to do with the size of the figures. Distances are calculated based on base width ( see my review of Twilight of Divine Right here: https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/?s=twilight ), so you can use any sort of figures or bases you like. The scenarios are written with a 12cm frontage to units (infantry or cavalry) in mind.

Thanks....  8)

That's why I pointed out that I had limited space:
I've got a 6' x 4' table at home at present with the potential for an 8 x 12
8 x 12 would be an absolute maximum and I'm not even certain that this size would fit in my room. I much prefer large units so they look like a real group of fighting men. I'm not really a one for just having a few 28mm on a 12cm frontage like Impetus- though I do realise that it has it's advantages in terms of creating vignettes.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 09:07:25 PM »
Yeah, proper big units just look the part, while 12 dudes carrying a flag are just more of a marker. Just one of the reasons why I go10mm or 6mm for battles. :)

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 09:27:52 AM »
Hope it's okay for me to chime in here.

@Frostie: The scenarios are kept generic and, as mentioned above, there's a few paragraphs on how to use the book with other rules sets. The orders of battle don't include much information beyond brigades (including type/tactics, pike-to-musket-ratio and possible extras such as regimental guns, etc), but the book includes how large a body of men the rules means by writing "brigade". (for what it's worth based on paper strength, abstracted strength, strength on the day, etc.).

Thanks Sigur