Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:04:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690721
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: So what's the verdict then?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Squint

• Assistant
So what's the verdict then?
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:51:38 PM »
Hi all,

Popped into my local model shop today. Don't go in there very often as they mostly sell plastic kits, RC stuff and trains (but they do stock a nice range of sable brushes.)
Anyway, they had some of the new Revell acrylics on the shelf. I haven't come across them before so I picked up a couple of pots just to see if they're any good or not.

I picked up matt black (08) and ochre (88).

My verdict?....I like the black...it's lovely and flat and smooth. In my opinion far nicer than GW's chaos black.

And the ochre? - haven't really tried it yet. Fairly close (although not identical to Vallejo's desert yellow) and I can see lots of use for this on colonial stuff.

The square pots are a bit odd and I think the tops might need a little careful looking after but £1.30-something for a 18ml pot is good value.

Think I'll go back and get some more.

have you tried them yet?

What do you think?

Squint.

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 12:58:27 AM »
This is the first time ever I heard of acrylics from Revell! :o

I right now looked it up at the Revell website. 36 different paints isn't that much. But if they would have had this colours back then when I've started painting miniatures...

Can you try out how long it needs to apply the next layer of paint? On their website they say it needs "only" 1 hour. I think this is very long, I can apply the next layer of Vallejo paint after a few minutes.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Squint

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 01:18:20 AM »
Hi,

Yeah, I admit it's a small range - but there are some pretty useful looking colours.

As for the drying time - I'll do a proper test tomorrow (it's already past my bedtime and Squint gets sleepy - old age, it must be) but from the bits I did today, well, I used the paints exactly the same way that I use any acrylic...slap it on and start with the next coat pretty much straight-a-way........I had no problems.

I usually use vallajo paints too, but it's a bit of a trek to my nearest stockist, or I have to order online. The only acrylics I can get locally are GW's (or artists tube acrylics) so it's nice to know that I do have access to an alternative if I need some paint bad. I don't think that the Revell paints will take over from Vallajo (well, not for me anyway as the range is too small) but it's nice to have a useable and obtainable back-up plan.

Squint.