Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My first 10mm (Pendraken) miniatures  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: My first 10mm (Pendraken) miniatures
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2020, 01:40:24 AM »
Now you have explained this, I very much like your basing style. I have a suggestion though: how about making two bases a battalion instead of one? And having a Regimental HQ base? So a whole regiment of 3 battalions would be seven 30 x 30 bases including a pretty HQ. The idea of that is that you can have a very simple representation of casualty removal when a battalion gets knocked about a bit and is down to half strength. Would that fit in with the rules you intend to use?

That is an interesting idea actually.

Just thinking out loud here... given that "HQ bases" don't count towards the Regimental strength, the chasseurs would have 2 bases and a HQ, and the cavalry would have 4 bases and a HQ. Have to figure out how that effects artillery as one base is a battery... I guess it would be 2 bases.

Aesthetically that could look very nice. I could include a mounted figure on the HQ base, for example. And the HQ bases could be placed in front of the unit. The regiments would be huge... 18cm/7inches in length.  :o But the bonus here is that chasseurs and cavalry would actually look like real units and to be quite honest, having one base representing a chasseur unit is not very pleasing to me.

You know, of course, this goes completely counter to the idea of using smaller minis and smaller units so that you can get more on the battlefield.

As for the rules, Black Powder might be more appropriate.

Have to give this a bit of thought.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2020, 06:53:47 AM »

As for the fanions, I just can't find a source to confirm what they looked like. The Napoleonic ones are well known and easy to track down.

Actually I don’t think they would apply.  Found this that takes the French to 1848 and fanions has evolved to incorporate tricolour.

http://tmg110.tripod.com/frarmy10.htm

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2020, 08:13:25 AM »
That is an interesting idea actually.

Just thinking out loud here... given that "HQ bases" don't count towards the Regimental strength, the chasseurs would have 2 bases and a HQ, and the cavalry would have 4 bases and a HQ. Have to figure out how that effects artillery as one base is a battery... I guess it would be 2 bases.

Aesthetically that could look very nice. I could include a mounted figure on the HQ base, for example. And the HQ bases could be placed in front of the unit. The regiments would be huge... 18cm/7inches in length.  :o But the bonus here is that chasseurs and cavalry would actually look like real units and to be quite honest, having one base representing a chasseur unit is not very pleasing to me.

You know, of course, this goes completely counter to the idea of using smaller minis and smaller units so that you can get more on the battlefield.

As for the rules, Black Powder might be more appropriate.

Have to give this a bit of thought.

Artillery battery would be easy! Gun and crew on one base, limber on the other...I do think the two-base battalion idea is so much more pleasing visually, it would be rectangular and suggest an attacking line better than a single square base.   And of course, you can represent column as well... Your chasseurs and cavalry would look great.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2020, 01:43:27 PM »

Actually I don’t think they would apply.  Found this that takes the French to 1848 and fanions has evolved to incorporate tricolour.

http://tmg110.tripod.com/frarmy10.htm

Yep, that is what I think they look like for the 2nd Empire as well.

Thanks, BTW.

Funny, I have a book on Napoleon III and the 2nd Empire which is pretty much all paintings and photos of actual uniforms. It ends at 1869. I guess they kinda just want to forget about what happened the following year....  lol
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:57:53 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2020, 06:21:36 PM »
I'm finishing up another batch of these little buggers... Still have the kepis and rifles to do. Here is a WIP shot where you can see that yes, indeed, they all have ears.  :D

lol

@Captain Blood: The finger nails are next!  ;)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »
I love the white spats best!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2020, 09:16:54 PM »
@Captain Blood: The finger nails are next!  ;)

Well you've managed the fingers, Ray. In this scale, that's incredible enough  :o

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2020, 09:24:59 PM »
Beautiful work Ray. Love the wee detail on these miniatures.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2020, 10:45:03 PM »
Ooh, franco-prussian war. Very, very pretty minis there, especially the flag makes the unit!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2020, 01:13:45 AM »
@vodkafan - I like the spats too. The French have some really nice uniforms for this war.

@Helen - Thanks, very much!

@Captain Bloodling - The fingers, like a lot of the other details, is kinda hit or miss. I take a stab at it and whatever happens, happens. Sometimes they come out really well, sometimes I end up with 3 instead of 4... whatever. At this scale, you take it as it comes.

@Battle Brush Sigur - Yes... those flags were tough. I painted up 6 regular solders first to see if I would like them and after that I decided to paint all the command figures that came with the army deal... 5 officers, 5 drummers and 5 flag bearers. I think what I like best is the bow and the streamers that are attached to the top of the pole.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »
lovely work :-* :-* :-*
but I can't get my head around the size?
Any chance of a photo against more normal scale 15 mm, 20 mm or 28 mm

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2020, 12:47:39 PM »
Sure, Mac.

Here you are:

An overexposed, rapidisimos photo... 28mm Naval Officer, 10mm French, 18 mm Cavalry.

Pretty amazing the amount of detail in those 10mm chaps, isn't it?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2020, 04:07:09 PM »
Indeed! And you did an excellent paintjob!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2020, 10:56:47 AM »
Great photo thanks :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
it shows how good your painting is

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »
it shows how good your painting is

Actually I think they show how well the figures are sculpted and cast. I didn't paint anything that wasn't there.

But thanks, for sure! And you too Din!