Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:10:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Bickley's Farm ACW battle report  (Read 2199 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Battle of Bickley's Farm ACW battle report
« on: July 12, 2020, 10:34:34 PM »
 Formed a "wargame bubble" with my pal has.been.  Got a proper wargame in, our first since February I believe!
ACW Rebels and Patriots. Played on a 4 x 4 foot table.
As usual I was the Union side. My officer Lt. Joshua Appletree, in command of the reserves was ordered to Bickley's Farm to contain a sudden sneak attack by the Confederates. In command of the Rebs, Captain Dudley Du Bose- an opponent who has of late started to be a serious thorn in Appletree's side.
Neither side had possession of the ground at the start of the game, so it was a rush to get to good defensive positions.   
The Union side was 18 points (4 infantry units with no artillery) while the Confederates were 24 points (4 units plus a battery (1 gun) of artillery)
Defender was allowed to deploy 2 units at the start and attacker 3 units, with reinforcements for both sides to be diced for at the end of turn 3.
Here is the Attacker's side of the table with his first three units in the start positions- Bickley's Farmhouse can just be seen in the centre overlooking the fork in the road.

As the Defender I am allowed to deploy 12" in. I rush a company of the 7th Illinois up to the farmhouse.

My second unit is the 1st NY Zouaves. I advance them up on my right flank trying to use the cover of the other house. I don't intend to occupy this building but intend to try to get close enough for a bayonet charge
into Johhny Reb's flank.

Turn 1: Attacker goes first.
Reb Battery Peter opens up on the Zouaves out in the open and causes a single casualty but my morale is undented.
The Louisiana Tiger Zouaves form Close Order.
The 9th Virginia can't get organised and fail to activate.
Both the Union units fail to activate!

Turn 2:
Battery Peter fires again at my Zouaves caught in the open, causing another casualty. To my dismay this time they fail their morale test and get pushed back 3"

The Reb Tiger Zouaves advance:

And the 9th Virginia form Close Order
I attempt to Rally the disorder from the 1st NY but DISASTER! They collapse and rout from the table. These are supposedly my best troops and their arses are gaping open and shut like fishes mouths.

Thankfully the 7th Illinois manage to occupy the farmhouse and take up firing positions in the windows.

Turn 3:
The Reb artillery immediately targets the farmhouse but causes no casualties.
The Tiger Zouaves advance up to the wall, where I had hoped my own Zouaves would be by now  :(
The 9th Virginia begin a solid advance in Close Order
I fire at them from the farmhouse and cause one casualty but they pass morale easily

REINFORCEMENTS: Peter dices for and gets the 3rd Georgia, a green unit.
I get the 6th Illinois, which has my commander Joshua Appletree attached. Here they are poised at the edge of the cornfield at the start of the game:

Turn 4:
Once again the Reb artillery slings cannon balls at the house. This time they cause a casualty and the unit FAILS it's morale test.
I attempt a Rally on the 7th Illinois but they fail which means a second disorder marker and they retreat back out of the house! This could not have happened at a worse moment.

The only good news is that I get a reprieve as no other Reb units pass activation except the 3rd Georgia, which moves into the wood facing the cornfield.
I move the 6th Illinois into the cornfield but with the situation worsening I now need Appletree on the other side of the battlefield. He has to cross the wall in full view of the Reb gun.
I dice for and get the 8th Michigan, a green unit. Originally intended to come on behind the farmhouse, (as seen here)

Instead I move them to follow Appletree into the cornfield on the left flank.

Turn 5:
Thankfully two of the Reb units fail to activate. Another small breathing space!
However the hated Confederate artillery gets a double 6! fires at the 6th Illinois twice as it crosses the wall and causes a casualty, but it is not "Old Wheezy" Appletree and the unit passes morale test.
Not so good is that the Tiger Zouaves are over the wall and now threaten my right flank.

I am really reluctant to attempt another rally of the 7th Illinois, they are only a bad dice roll away from breaking. Instead, my sporting opponent suggests to form them into Close Order instead. I try this but I do dice badly and they stay as they are, but at least they are still on the table.
It is a relief to move the green 8th Michigan into the cornfield.

Turn 6:
The Confederate Battery Peter are on top form- have not yet failed to fire in this game. It catches the 6th Illinois again as it moves and causes another casualty but Appletree escapes once again.
All the Confederate units advance. I am facing attacks from all directions and I simply don't have enough units.
I put the 7th Illinois back into the farmhouse. The 8th Michigan are not yet up to the cover of the wall in the cornfield, but I can see the 3rd Georgia at the edge of the wood and I feel I cannot wait, I must take the initiative. I attempt a devastating first volley but the unit fails it's dice roll and does nothing. Frustrating.

Turn 7:
The 3rd Georgia fail to do anything, but are joined in the wood by another unit, 11th Virginia .

Battery Peter fires at the farmhouse to no effect this time.
9th Virgina get a double 6! The table result allows a double activation of the same unit which Dudley Du Bose uses to dramatic effect. At the head of his troops he bravely charges into the farmhouse.
There are no casualties in the melee but the Confederates are repulsed, even as the Tiger Zouaves charge up in support.

Things are as desperate as they could be. The 7th Illinois fire at Du Bose's men out of the windows but miss.
Joshua Appletree and the 6th Illinois just arriving, does not even have time to take up defensive positions along the wall, but fires it's first volley at the Tiger Zouaves , which causes a casualty and forces Louisiana back temporarily.
In the cornfield , at it's second attempt 8th Michigan cracks off a volley at 3rd Georgia, but at long range it only causes a single casualty, and their morale remains steady.

Turn 8:
For the first time, the Reb artillery fails to fire.
11th Virginia moves up to the edge of the wood, but 3rd Georgia is hesitant.
 Du Bose leads 9th Virginia back into the farmhouse for a second time!

This time the fighting is ferocious and there are casualties on both sides, but I lose the melee. Thankfully my morale holds, but the 7th Illinois are forced out of the building, leaving the Virginians in possession.
The 7th Illinois fail their activation to go back in this turn.
The 6th Illinois take another hasty volley at the Tiger Zouaves but miss. (I only have this pic of the  arriving at an earlier point in the game, but it shows their position)

Luckily the Tiger Zouaves, after their pleasant stroll up are busy having a bad dice day, and do nothing this turn.
In the middle of the cornfield the 8th Michigan are putting up a surprisingly good fight for a green unit. They fire on the advancing 11th Virginians and cause a casualty, but it does not check the Reb's advance.

Turn 9:
The 11th Virginians continue advancing, with fire support from both the 3rd Georgia AND the Reb artillery.
It causes a steady drip of casualties and eventually the brave 8th Michigan become disordered.  :(

They do manage to fire back at the Virginians at half effect, which drops another Reb but doesn't stop them. The southerners smell blood.
Tiger Zouaves Rally but do nothing else this turn. They are fired upon by Appletree's unit and lose a man, but they have got over their wobblies.
The Confederates in the house fire at the 7th Illinois outside and cause another two casualties, but this only stiffens their resolve. Not much of the unit left! Perhaps they are resolved to go down fighting.

They storm back into the house for a third melee. They are pushed out but incredibly their morale holds.

Turn 10:
The Confederate units attacking the cornfield drop two more Union troops of the 8th Michigan, but Union morale is holding for now.
The 9th Virginia fires out the windows at the depleted 7th Illinois but thankfully cause no wounded this turn.
The 6th Illinois are in no position to help, they are keeping up a desperate fire on the Tiger Zouaves, who have advanced again to the wall.
The tired 7th Illinois have no option but to break back into the house and fight it out again at close quarters. It is inevitable that they will lose. This time they break and rout

As both the other units are within 12", their rout causes a general round of morale tests. Everybody drops their muskets and runs, even Joshua Appletree.

It is a complete and terrible defeat, the worst so far.
I have to dice for the fate of my commander, who it entails suffered yet another wound (his 4th!) but will survive. I don't have a single Victory point but my opponent graciously allows me 3 Honour dice for Appletree's unit being the last on the table. The resultant dice throw allowed me to make promotion to Major. This is some consolation!
The Confederate player has so many Victory points and Honour Dice that he doesn't even take them all, but settles for also promoting Du Bose to the rank of Major.
It was a fun game, and it really did turn out to be in truth a Battle for Bickley's Farm.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:49:37 PM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Battle of Bickley's Farm ACW battle report
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 01:10:54 AM »
Very nice looking game and well done battle report.  Afraid the rules sound like they yield very unrealistic battle field situations.  Sure, things don't often go as planned but some of those results defy credulity for me.  But if you are having fun, why listen to me!   ;)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
Good to see you getting a game in guys!

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 12:57:13 PM »
I bet it was good to game at last :)

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 01:55:07 PM »
Nothing much to add to Vodkafan's excellent battle report,
other than to commend his stiff upper lip when his most
expensive unit broke so early in the fight.  He was (literally)
fighting a loosing battle from then on, but boy did he put up
a stiff resistance.
Fifteensaway   It is whatever 'floats yer boat'. We like the rules.
as Vodkafan said on the day, 'The rules are kinda intuitive' &
he is correct. We were able to look at the battle & think things like:-
Du Bose really needs to lead a charge or two to boost his reputation, but it is going to be risky;
If I ignore those Confederate Zouaves they'll turn my flank!;
The troops in the wheat field are taking a pounding, but they must hold out a bit longer.

Westbury.  Yes great to play a game again. It has been almost half a year since we did.

Here a few pictures to add to Vodkafan's ones. First the opening moves.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 01:59:36 PM »
Next the middle bit.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 02:03:15 PM »
The attack at the farmhouse goes in.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 02:12:30 PM »
The end game.
There is a desire in the Confederate ranks to finish off the uppity Yank called Appletree.
Mention should be made in this fight I held back the Tiger Zouaves important first volley,
I also got them to form close order. This would allow them to 'Volly Fire' into Appletree's
unit. My best chance in ages to kill him... Then he withdrew from the field & I never got
the chance.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 02:52:31 PM »
Great close ups!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 02:55:59 PM »
The end game.
There is a desire in the Confederate ranks to finish off the uppity Yank called Appletree.
Mention should be made in this fight I held back the Tiger Zouaves important first volley,
I also got them to form close order. This would allow them to 'Volly Fire' into Appletree's
unit. My best chance in ages to kill him... Then he withdrew from the field & I never got
the chance.

Joshua Appletree is like Captain Scarlet he can't be killed  ;)

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 05:31:18 PM »
"This is the voice of the Confederacy, Capt. Appletree will die"
(OK it should be Mysterons & Major but you get the idea)

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 05:41:28 PM »
Great looking game. Certainly seems to provide good focus on a few key features. I think you can get a better narrative tale out of smaller games like this than many a big bash. Great to get a game in again after all this time. I've arranged a game Saturday with a live opponent which I am looking forward to.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 05:56:15 PM »
I enjoyed following that through, though I think the name of the farm caught my eye initially...😉
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 07:01:14 PM »
Great looking game. Certainly seems to provide good focus on a few key features. I think you can get a better narrative tale out of smaller games like this than many a big bash. Great to get a game in again after all this time. I've arranged a game Saturday with a live opponent which I am looking forward to.

Good luck for your game! Is it ACW?

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »
Nice game and AAR.  8)

Just a random 'Mystic Meg' question, but on the underside of the farmhouse are there the letters 'PKS' in black in one corner?

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388