Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:34:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scenario sources: French Movies  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Scenario sources: French Movies
« on: July 13, 2020, 01:53:12 PM »
Back in the late '90s I used to watch a lot of late night movies on the French Language channel. I don't speak French that well, but they were usually period pieces "Henry of Navarre" or similar things, so I sort of muddled along. Anyway, there are two movies that I have been trying to find again, especially as on DVD they might be subtitled these days.

1) I think it might be called "The Anatomists". Set during the reign of the Sun King - IIRC - but certainly before the French Revolution. It features a group or cult or cabal of intellectuals who like to study bodies in anatomical detail. i.e by dissecting them. And, of course, the bodies they want to dissect the most are pretty young things, one of whom is the hero's girlfriend/fiancee. So he has to rescue her from the old villains. I have tried doing Google searches but it is difficult to find French-language sources. Does it ring any bells to our French gamers?

2) Is another period piece. No idea of the title or the rest of the plot, but the scene I remember is a rough game, almost like rugby - played with a sheep's bladder - but which takes place in the open fields and countryside between two villages. It appears the entire male contingent of each village takes part and it is more brawl than sport. I don't think I got to see the rest of the movie. The participants were wearing simple clothes, so could be any period from middle ages up through to the 19th century. I remember no weapons or costume from which one could fix a date. Shirts and trews. I don't think hose was worn, but am not sure. I think not and so would place it later: my guess is 17th, 18th or 19th centuries. Ring a bell?

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Scenario sources: French Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:47:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure the second film you talked about is La Soule (1989). It's set in the Napoleonic period.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 01:52:45 AM »
Thanks! The IMDB summary does sound like it!  :)

I'm pretty sure the second film you talked about is La Soule (1989). It's set in the Napoleonic period.

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 09:17:44 AM »
“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 02:25:55 AM »
Thanks!
The actors are familiar to me but I'm not sure that is the movie.

I don't remember the beach scenes, for example.  IIRC, the female lead is blonde and there is a chateau which she has to be rescued from.

Nevertheless, another good movie I should get on DVD.  :)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 02:30:54 AM »
I second Calimero regarding La Soule, which is the only French-language film on the subject I can think of :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098365/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The first one is something of a puzzle : Bertrand Tavernier's Que la fête commence has nothing to do with anatomy, anatomists and kidnappings, focusing as it does on Philippe of Orléans' regency after the death of Louis XIV. Philippe Le Guay's Les deux Fragonard does involve a love triangle and a historical anatomist, but it doesn't feature the gothic melodrama and horror/suspense elements you describe, despite being set in the XVIIIth century :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097192/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Is the film you are referring to a recent one ? The premise and plot are somewhat evocative of a French-Italian-Euro-pudding coproduction from the 1960's.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:05:18 AM by Arthur »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »

I forgot about this thread… I also did some search for the second film but couldn’t find anything fitting quite right with your depiction of it…