Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:52:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark rulebook query  (Read 1736 times)

Andrew_McGuire

Oathmark rulebook query
« on: July 13, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »
I hope I will be forgiven if this has been answered already but my time on the forum, and the internet in general is severely limited at present. I have just received my copy of Oathmark and have read the core rules. My question relates to the text on page 44, the bottom line of which is obscured by the picture. Does anyone know what it is supposed to say? I have looked at the Osprey Games website but there appears to be nothing there, and their own forum is barely alive as far as I can see. There's also no sign of the promised downloads.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:30:40 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Oathmark rulebook query
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 03:30:39 PM »
Been asked and answered several times on the official Facebook group, I found this there: 'You must also move any other units that are in the way, just as with regular combat.'

The other common thing is that Dwarf spellcasters should have the same point costs as their human equivalents, their printed values are wrong.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 03:33:55 PM »
Thank you. Just as an aside, what kind of hobby, or for that matter, world is it that relies so heavily on the dubious empire of Mark Zuckerberg to function?

Offline Morts

• Student
    • The inane blog of ramblings and musings of a grammatical challenged and easily distracted gamer .....
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:26:28 AM »
Thanks for that - I had wondered, but as I am not on Facebook (and have no intention of joining it).

Also one thing which does slightly confuse me is that there are no rules for Orc wolf riders, but Orc characters can be upgraded to ride wolves.

I don't want to use my old chronicle Orc wolf riders and Hobgoblin wolf riders as goblins to be honest.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 08:39:32 AM »
Thank you. Just as an aside, what kind of hobby, or for that matter, world is it that relies so heavily on the dubious empire of Mark Zuckerberg to function?

indeed.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
Let's not stray into anything too political, or even pseudopolitical :)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 10:26:31 AM »
Thanks for that - I had wondered, but as I am not on Facebook (and have no intention of joining it).

Also one thing which does slightly confuse me is that there are no rules for Orc wolf riders, but Orc characters can be upgraded to ride wolves.

I don't want to use my old chronicle Orc wolf riders and Hobgoblin wolf riders as goblins to be honest.

I have thought about this as well, but remember non-Champions can join units of other races. You could have an Orc General with some Goblin Wolf Riders or even Human Cavalry. It also adds a good bit of Defense to a solo character.

Offline Morts

• Student
    • The inane blog of ramblings and musings of a grammatical challenged and easily distracted gamer .....
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 01:48:30 PM »
True enough re buffing characters and using them to lead other races - but it would be nice to have some beefy heavy orc wild riders.
Perhaps the 2 supplements coming out in the next 4 months will pick this up ... along with armoured elephant type things.

Offline Randell

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 09:53:44 PM »

Because FB Groups are free.  Forums need to be hosted and administered and cost the host

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 02:44:17 AM »
Because FB Groups are free.  Forums need to be hosted and administered and cost the host

Free does not mean useful or even cost effective. If you post where a possibly sizeable portion of your members can't see it - free seems to be a serious cost.  LAF, TMP or other general sites would seem like they would welcome posts supporting a game.  LAF in particular would seem a relevant place. 
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 02:33:47 PM »
Thanks to all the respondents. As for my comment on FB,quite apart from any ethical concerns - on which I will remain silent -  the fact is, as is clear from at least one other comment, not everyone wants to use it, and it's difficult to see why we should have to rely on it for things like rules clarifications, particularly in the case of Osprey Games, which has its own website, and, as even, I discovered, a forum, albeit one that apparently no-one uses.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 03:53:38 PM »
Thanks to all the respondents. As for my comment on FB,quite apart from any ethical concerns - on which I will remain silent -  the fact is, as is clear from at least one other comment, not everyone wants to use it, and it's difficult to see why we should have to rely on it for things like rules clarifications, particularly in the case of Osprey Games, which has its own website, and, as even, I discovered, a forum, albeit one that apparently no-one uses.

You also need a Facebook account to enter their most recent Oathmark contest.

I suspect that Osprey, like a lot of companies, has a CFO or financial officer who looks at their IT bill and decides to use FB as a way to cut costs.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 04:01:03 PM by pixelgeek »

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 05:15:58 PM »
... and it's difficult to see why we should have to rely on it for things like rules clarifications, particularly in the case of Osprey Games,...

Yes I have thought before that Osprey games should provide a forum for each of the rules they publish. They seem to just leave it up to each individual rules author to decide in what way (if at all) they will be communicating with players, answering rules queries, etc.
These days it seems pretty much expected that there will be some sort of forum available and (except in the cases of the big boys like GW and Warlord) that the author will communicate with users of the rules, so it seems strange that Osprey do not provide this. And the advantages of providing it yourself (rather than leaving it up to the players to choose their preferred forum) is that it keeps the discussion largely focussed in one place, and the author / publisher keeps some control over the content of the posts.

Offline Morts

• Student
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 06:09:18 PM »
Rather than get bogged down on the rights and wrongs of the FB empire (for work reasons I don't use FB, but I do use WhatsApp - which proudly proclaims who owns it now whenever I open it! :() it would make sense to have one place for rules queries to go (Dan Mersey set one up awhile ago for his rules - but I haven't been there for a while, but I think the traffic had dropped off).
Joe does frequent this forum and is pretty active on the Frostgrave boards (where I imagine his attention is with the 2nd Ed out soon), but we haven't address the key issue which is where are the Orc wolf riders stats  ;)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 06:39:03 PM »
As someone who has published with Osprey, they do leave it up to the author how and how much they want to engage and drum up business for the rules they have written.  Osprey will do X amount.  Everything above X is up to you.  Technically, the authors still own the rights to their games and "own" them.  That is why each author is left up to their own devices when it comes to player communication. 

i can speak from personal experience as a designer and publisher that very few people will use your Forum, your Blog, your website, etc.   Therefore, to engage with their audience a designer has to use a shotgun approach to Social Media and the internet.  Each format only catches a small percent of your audience.  For me, I get the most bang for my buck out of Instagram and my blog.  Community, established message boards are #2.  Facebook, my own forums, and other social media are a distant third.   

Keep in mind, Osprey is part of a much larger publishing house called Bloomsbury, and I am sure they have certain expectations and criteria on how much money Osprey brings back to them.  The Wargaming books are only a very small portion of the Osprey portfolio and a miniscule slice of Bloomsbury's revenue.  We are honestly lucky they are even in the wargame publishing game and are so open to the various titles they produce.         

Keep in mind I do not work FOR Osprey so I could be way off base and definitely do not speak for them in anyway.  This is just my experience. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing