Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:10:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690742
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Indomitus project  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Indomitus project
« on: July 15, 2020, 09:05:43 PM »
I'm working on one of the Indomitus boxes for my FLGS.  We are planning on doing short socially distancing demo games at the store on the 26th if that is still a viable option at that time. 

Here are some of the Necrons so far.

Royal Warden.  This guy has some command ability but otherwise is mostly a suped-up Immortal.

Cool figure all the same.

This little guy goes along with the Destroyers.  He is gives them little boosts of crazy juice to get them to fight harder and kill more, at the risk of them dying of course.

Then we get to the ubiquitous scarabs.  I've done about half of these guys I think. 

Nothing really new and improved much there but there isn't much to do with little 10mm models that look like bugs.  They are a lot less uniform than the plastic ones that came on the old Necron warriors and it is nice that it is just one big piece so there isn't a bunch of fiddly gluing together to do.

I've got 10 more of the Necrons primed and ready to be painted so hopefully I can get to them tonight.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: Indomitus project
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 11:26:50 PM »
I got a few more of these guys done today.  Mostly focused on the warriors to bulk out the horde but did a couple of the support cast too. 

First up is the Canoptek Reanimator.  This thing marches around with the Necrons and makes it easier for them to come back to life.  It isn't just support though as it has a dead zappy death ray and it can fight competently with its legs and claws.  Not a front line fighter but it is more than capable of defending itself.

Then there are the Necron Warriors.  Steady, deadly, come-back-to-lifey, these guys do a pretty good job of forming the backbone of a Necron army.  They put some muzzle suppressors over the green rods this time so there is a bit more painting to do but still not too bad.

And another shot of them with the Royal Warden from yesterday hogging the shot a bit

Then we have the Plasmancer and his little rubbish bin friends.  The Plasmancer can unleash deadly techno energy on the enemy and incinerate them.  He also counts as a cryptek so does whatever they do too presumably.  The two bin men are his servants and  apparently a source of prestige in Necron society.  As it is trash day today my neighborhood would look like a real swanky place in their eyes I suppose.

And here's the whole lot of them:

I haven't gotten any further with the destroyers but I'll probably try to assemble the last of the warriors tonight. 

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 05:18:09 PM »
lookin' good!

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 08:51:20 PM »
Thank you.  Here are the last of the Necrons.

All the Scarab swarms now finished. 

The second unit of Warriors are done.  This time I've done them with the Gauss Reapers for some very killing close range fire.

And then there are the Skorpekhs. 

The Lord

And the Destroyers.

And here is the whole gang.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 11:17:43 PM »
They look the part, very quick turn around too.

I like the dull dark metal colour for the crons, what's your recipe?

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 03:28:52 AM »
You really cranked this army out!  Nice work.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
Thanks, guys.  Glad you like them.  I'm working on the Astartes now.  I've got the Lt. under way and he is almost finished.  I'll probably post some pics of him tomorrow.

The Necron metal is pretty easy.  I spray them black first.  Then I do a heavy dry brush of GW Iron Warrior over the whole model.  After that is done I put Agrax Earthshade over the whole thing.  And that is it ezpz. 

The rusted look is done with reikland fleshade and weathering powders. 

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 08:58:56 AM »
Thanks, guys.  Glad you like them.  I'm working on the Astartes now.  I've got the Lt. under way and he is almost finished.  I'll probably post some pics of him tomorrow.

The Necron metal is pretty easy.  I spray them black first.  Then I do a heavy dry brush of GW Iron Warrior over the whole model.  After that is done I put Agrax Earthshade over the whole thing.  And that is it ezpz. 

The rusted look is done with reikland fleshade and weathering powders.

Thanks

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 10:51:18 PM »
The Black Templars are rolling off the painting desk now.  I've decided that I'm doing most of the set as Black Templars as they really look the part.  The bikers and the melta-gun guys are going in my Crimson Fists force though. 

First up is one of the assault squads.

These figures are great.  Very dynamically posed and certainly not lacking in detail.  I added some stuff to the bases to give them a bit more flair than just the texture paint. 

The Assault squad are armed with heavy bolt pistol and chainsword.  The sergeant has three head options and can be replaced with a regular marine too if you want to do a squad of ten of them. 

Probably the next sergeant figure I do will be have a helmet and I may do him as a regular marine and just divide them on the tabletop.  Ultimately there will likely be two squads of ten of them but I'll wait until the a la cart set of them comes out to get the other ten just to give the units some diversity of pose. 

Then we have my favourite model from the set, the Lt.  This guy has a volkite pistol and is about to cause some havoc with it. 

I need to get my hands on some more decals before I finish the rest of them.  I've run out of the crosses for their shoulder pads.  I believe I have more in my storage unit and I'll have to go out and look tomorrow. 

Next up are the Blade Guard Veterans.  They are already started and I'll likely get them finished tonight.  After that I'll assemble the next squad of assault guys but might do the Chaplain before that. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 10:29:09 PM »
I managed to get a game in with the new 9th edition rules last night. I used the figures from the boxed set and played a small Combat Patrol game.  This one was assassinate and the small space marine force was trying to take out a particularly destructive and insane Necron Destroyer Lord. 

The Necrons had two units of warriors and one unit of Destroyers, plus a scarab swarm and the Destroyer lord. 

To deal with all of this the Black Templars had two assault marine squads, a bladesworn veteran squad, a Chaplain and a Lt. 

The marines moved quickly to get to grips with their enemy.  The Bladesworn veterans headed up the left flank to take on the Necron warriors with the Gauss Reapers while the Lt. and the two squads of assault marines went straight up the middle.  The Chaplain advanced to the right with the plan to draw the other warrior unit off that way and assault them.

The plan did not go as expected.  Soon the Chaplain was swarmed by scarabs.  The wee creatures were no match for the Chaplain but it did take him some time to swat them all away and they did injure him.

In the time he was distracted one of the assault squads had to engage the Necron Warriors that was the Chaplain's quarry.  They hacked their way through them effectively enough, only suffering one wound in return.

But while they were doing that the Lt. and the other squad of assault marines were in the fight of their lives with the Destroyers.  The assault marines were all cut down by the deranged killing machines, but the Lt. managed to hold out against the lord. 

Meanwhile the Bladesworn cut their way through the Necrons on the left and were moving at top speed towards the Necron Warlord. 

They barrelled into him just after the Chaplain got into the fight.  The two space marine champions held their own against the might Necron but soon the Chaplain was cut down, no longer able to sustain the injuries that had been inflicted upon him.

It seemed that the Blade Sworn would save the Lt. but they were not quick enough and soon the Lt. lay unmoving at the behemoth's feet.

Cutting down the last of the Necron Warriors the remaining assault marines joined their brothers in the fray.  With marines hacking and slashing at him even the might Destroyer Lord could not continue and was brought down by the black armoured warriors all around him. 

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 03:20:43 AM »
Looked like a fun battle.  How did you feel it played using the new rules? Relatively even?

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 03:51:28 AM »
Given the table set up and me getting the Reanimation Protocols wrong, I think it was fairly even.  The Space Marines really took it to the Necrons but the one unit of Necrons never even had a chance to shoot and others rolled horribly for the one turn of shooting they got.

Given that the Necrons didn't do their best, and the Templars were on ground that was favourable to them it seemed like a pretty even go.  I'll have to try it with more of the models soon.  I'm looking forward to getting that Reanimator on the table to give it a go.

The lack of overwatch fire certainly streamlined the game. 

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 04:22:54 AM »
I hope to get a game of some version of 40K in soon.  Too many other issues in my circle of gamers at the moment for an in person game though.   :(

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 11:35:53 PM »
We did demo games at the store on the 26th of last month.  They went pretty well.  We limited the games to two people and everyone wore masks and stayed at least 6 feet apart. 

It worked pretty well. 

Here are some pictures of some more Black Templars.  I decided I needed at least some guys with some range capability in this army and had a few Intercessors lying around so I made a small squad of five, one is still to come.  I need to finish the crosses on their shoulder pads though, which means I need to find some more decals for them.

I also finally finished the Captain. 

He wasn't particularly hard to paint or anything, it just took me a while to get to him.  He's a pretty nice figure with a big shield.

You might notice that they are standing on some terrain.  It is a floating island I just made today.

I'm on-call but today hasn't been too busy so I decided to get to this project I've had in mind for a while.  I actually put it together yesterday but did a lot of the final painting work today. 

I've thought floating islands were a neat idea since I took a course on the Island Identity of England and one of the classes was on floating islands which pop up in literature here and there.  And of course you can barely see any Age of Sigmar art without some kind of floating islands in it somewhere.

This one is specifically for a Pariah Nexus campaign that we will be starting in the FLGS later this month. 

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 02:34:33 AM »
Nice work on the island.  I like the green & black monoliths.