Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:35:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689607
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Online Car Primers- Opinions? Ideas?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Online Car Primers- Opinions? Ideas?
« on: August 30, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »
Hi,

I'm shielding so unable to get out and about to my local Halfords so I've been looking around for a nice Matt Black Primer Spray. (I don't have an airbrush).

Please note, I have been ordered by my GP to socially shield  and am unable to make it to any shops, nor indeed leave the house. :)

The flatter the matt the better.

I've tried Army Painter which I found to be very satin and would prefer something that has a flatter finish.

Does anyone have any experience with any matt black primers that available online?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:17:14 AM by Atheling »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Autotek/Other Online Car Primer/s- Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 08:05:43 PM »
I've only ever used one can of Autotek.
One can doesn't quite give a balanced over view. But for what it's worth . I found it wore off miniatures easily and the nearer the bottom of the can I got the less pigment it produced to the point it looked more like a gloss black dip varnish.
First dozen or so Warhammer Empire cavalry looked very good with an even matt black under coat.(actually thought I was onto a winner) then it started getting patchy satin areas on the next eight cavalry. After that I ended up re undercoating with a dark grey.
I've just switched to Hycote grey quite an impressive adhesion to plastic and resin.With an even coat on the first light spray.
They do have a Matt Black (not tried it yet.)As I'm only using rattle cans as a sculpting aid.
But my personal preference is to use a light coat of a primer then use a Matt black spray as an undercoat/ base colour over the top. Just to improve the adhesion.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Autotek/Other Online Car Primer/s- Opinions?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:10:01 PM »
I've only ever used one can of Autotek.
One can doesn't quite give a balanced over view. But for what it's worth . I found it wore off miniatures easily and the nearer the bottom of the can I got the less pigment it produced to the point it looked more like a gloss black dip varnish.
First dozen or so Warhammer Empire cavalry looked very good with an even matt black under coat.(actually thought I was onto a winner) then it started getting patchy satin areas on the next eight cavalry. After that I ended up re undercoating with a dark grey.
I've just switched to Hycote grey quite an impressive adhesion to plastic and resin.With an even coat on the first light spray.
They do have a Matt Black (not tried it yet.)As I'm only using rattle cans as a sculpting aid.
But my personal preference is to use a light coat of a primer then use a Matt black spray as an undercoat/ base colour over the top. Just to improve the adhesion.

Thanks, appreciated mate. It sounds like the Autotek is a load of rubbish and not at all what I'm looking for. I'll amend the title of the post.

I go for a matt black primer spray (usually Halfords) which I buy in bulk then either paint on black Gesso or Andrea Matt Black.

It's the primer that I'm at a loss to obtain at present as I can't leave the house- well, not without having a death wish  :o

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Online Car Primers- Opinions? Ideas?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 04:34:14 AM »
Army Painter do a matt black spray - available on eBay if all else fails.

GW chaos black is matt - lots of stockists inc eBay

Try ringing Halfords on 0330 135 9779

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 08:33:28 AM »
Army Painter do a matt black spray - available on eBay if all else fails.

Hi Andrew,

I have had bad experiences with every can of Army Painter Black Matt as it has always some out satin and never flat matt. It also has a very smooth literally flat finish which is not what one looks for in a primer. One needs a spray that lays down a tooth for the undercoat to 'fasten' itself into.

A little better than Army Painter but nowhere near as good as Halfords

Try ringing Halfords on 0330 135 9779

Thanks. I actually hadn't thought of giving them a ring  o_o o_o o_o lol

I'll get that sorted out ASAP.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 11:17:08 PM »
Odd, I've been happy with the Army Painter sprays but not the normal paints - must have been lucky...

Not sure I can even send you one - so far the only courier than MAY carry them are UPS but I'm not even sure without checking the markings on the side of the tin and checking with them. I've a part used tin here but unsure how much is in it or it's age come to that.  If you get desperate let me know and I'll dig into it more for you.

If you are in North Lincs / North East Lincs I can try to drop you one off but stuck for transport if further out.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 12:23:14 AM »

Not in my experience. Quite a sheen on it. It is also not a primer

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 10:04:13 AM »
Odd, I've been happy with the Army Painter sprays but not the normal paints - must have been lucky...

Not sure I can even send you one - so far the only courier than MAY carry them are UPS but I'm not even sure without checking the markings on the side of the tin and checking with them. I've a part used tin here but unsure how much is in it or it's age come to that.  If you get desperate let me know and I'll dig into it more for you.

That's very kind of you to offer but I'm not desperate yet. Close to it but not quite :)

If you are in North Lincs / North East Lincs I can try to drop you one off but stuck for transport if further out.

Again, very kind of you to offer- I'm in the North East so it would be quite a trek :)

Not in my experience. Quite a sheen on it. It is also not a primer

Spot on. I'm looking to get a primer to use a a tooth for an undercoat.