Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:31:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690595
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Separate kausia heads?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
Separate kausia heads?
« on: December 29, 2020, 05:35:53 PM »
Curious if anyone knows offhand of a supplier who makes separate heads in 28mm with Hellenistic-era kausia caps. In one of my 87 different projects, I'm slowly building a couple units of "Bactrian spearmen" with a nice varied look, and I'd like to mix in a handful of figures wearing the caps, especially since men in the region apparently still wear these hats today, so it would be a nice identifying characteristic.

The only manufacturer I know of offhand that even makes a kausia that looks right is Relic, Ltd. (Example here: https://www.relicminiatures.com/product/seleucid-officer/ )... I've contacted them to see if they could sell the head from that figure separately, but with it being the holidays, I haven't heard back yet. Just curious if I could find any add more leads from you guys!
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: Separate kausia heads?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 10:14:39 PM »
I seem to remember Aventine do figures wearing the kausia. Helpful people, so well worth asking them about it.

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 10:23:01 PM »
I seem to remember Aventine do figures wearing the kausia. Helpful people, so well worth asking them about it.

I checked, but the only ones I could find were called "kausia", but were actually the traditional Greek floppy, wide-brimmed hat, I'm afraid.

And for the record, I agree about them being helpful; I've emailed them in the past with little questions like this and they're usually pretty quick to respond :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 03:51:55 AM »
I checked, but the only ones I could find were called "kausia", but were actually the traditional Greek floppy, wide-brimmed hat, I'm afraid.

And for the record, I agree about them being helpful; I've emailed them in the past with little questions like this and they're usually pretty quick to respond :)

The kausia, pronounced as kafsia, is a type of hat that looks very similar if not the same with the traditional hat they wear in areas around Afghanistan today.
Do you need it on a specific kind of head matching a specific miniature range?

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 01:44:23 PM »
The kausia, pronounced as kafsia, is a type of hat that looks very similar if not the same with the traditional hat they wear in areas around Afghanistan today.
Do you need it on a specific kind of head matching a specific miniature range?

Yeah the most recent info I saw on the subject suggested it actually originated in Bactria/Sogdiana and then was "brought back" by Alexander's soldiers, becoming wildly popular and widespread during the Hellenistic period (but not before, which again suggests it was a new "discovery").

Anyway, I'm using a huge mix of figures for the unit(s): Victrix (Thebans), Wargames Atlantic (Persians), Blacktree Designs, Old Glory (on shims so they're closer to the same height of the others lol ), some Foundry, Aventine, 1st Corps and Relic sprinkled in. Heavily mixing and matching between the plastic ranges, big mix of shields, and so on. Basically making these guys look like as heterogeneous as possible.

So, basically if they fit scale-wise on Victrix, I'm good :) I don't mind drilling out holes for necks etc. if necessary. 

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 11:30:48 PM »
Is this the right sort of hat?

(The middle chap)

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 12:00:39 AM »
Is this the right sort of hat?

(The middle chap)

Yeah actually Keith (Aventine) PMed me the other day to show me a few of these figures which do indeed have the proper heads! If they aren't cast on the bodies they'd work perfectly!

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 01:12:37 AM »
I'm thinking they would be quite simple to make yourself  w "green stuff"  or  Milliput.   Just chop the top off a generic head and add your nice cap.   I've done this for a few figures w  good results. 

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 06:04:06 PM »
There are lots of variations of kausiae hats in many sources. I prefer the smaller ones, but the king might have bigger and floppier.

Aventine has small and large ones:
https://ancientbattles.com/antiochus_ptolemy/Antiochus_Basileus_002.jpg

So do Relic, it all depends on what will fit your torsos:
https://ancientbattles.com/Relic/Relic_Antiochus_III_small.jpg

JJonas