Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:31:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Eastern renaissance  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Eastern renaissance
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 10:10:35 PM »
Interesting thread here, I am collecting Poles and Cossacks for the Deluge period *1650's) ideally that I can also mainly use for Great Northenr War. I have them in 28mm an dhope to use them for By Fire and Sword.

For the light horse archers Earfare have  alovely range of both Ottoman and Tatars. Watchign this with interest.

I thinking of going Ottoman; I'm OK up the the cusp of the Late Middle ages/Early Renaissance but after that I know next to nothing.

This is a 'keep ourselves sane' project that Doombeard (feels well strange calling you that mate :) )and I have decided upon and to play a game or three sometime next year.

I might go for Poles??? Not sure yet.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 12:47:45 PM »
I found the Warfare Miniatures site at

https://www.warfareminiaturesusa.com/collections/ottoman-turkish-army-1600-1740

For whatever reason they don't really float my boat.

Atheling- I thought to retire my Father Georgi identity but some of my other nicknames are a bit niche so as I had been playing a lot of doom metal, the name stuck

I have been skimming the rulebook( when your day job requires you to read rules and advise people on what the rules require them to do and then have to get them to follow the rules, it makes you less inclined to do it in your spare time) and the combat and shooting mechanisms seem relatively straight forward ( you do not have a page of combat modifiers to work through) . Movement rates seem surprisingly high- cavalry have a basic move of 20cm but this doubles to 40cm if they decide to charge of march, while infantry go 10cm for basic movement and 15cm for a charge.  These seem to be close to metric equivalents for the wab movement rates ( 20cm being 8") so, we could simply use the standard movement rates rather than the common idea of converting 1cm -1inch ( which would require us to play on 6 " deep tables) . Some areas of the rules will require a modification- in combat all stands in base to base fight and any unengaged stand within 2cm of an enemy stand also gets to fight. The 2cm will need to increase.  There are also some cases where commanders have a command radius and that will need to be adjusted

Basing is then the next issue- basing is one of those interminably tedious topics - my cavalry is all singly based on 25x50 and I have around 100 painted already for the Poles so I'll be damned if I have to rebase those. So possibly go either 75x50 or 80x50 for cavalry with 3 to a base.  Infantry could then be on on 80mm frontages ( though 3 figures on an 80 wide base looks odd for close order infantry) or 60 and fudge it a bit.

If you wanted to go Polish, we could do Poland v Lithuanian rebels. The armies are very similar.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2020, 04:23:54 PM »
I found the Warfare Miniatures site at

https://www.warfareminiaturesusa.com/collections/ottoman-turkish-army-1600-1740

I painted up some Swedes and other Europeans for Barry a few years ago. They are nice but they definitely don't fit with any of the ranges I'm thinking about at present as they are on the slight side.

Atheling- I thought to retire my Father Georgi identity but some of my other nicknames are a bit niche so as I had been playing a lot of doom metal, the name stuck

As long as Guy wasn't responsible!!  lol He's more 80's prog rock isn't he? ;)  ;D

I have been skimming the rulebook( when your day job requires you to read rules and advise people on what the rules require them to do and then have to get them to follow the rules, it makes you less inclined to do it in your spare time) and the combat and shooting mechanisms seem relatively straight forward ( you do not have a page of combat modifiers to work through) . Movement rates seem surprisingly high- cavalry have a basic move of 20cm but this doubles to 40cm if they decide to charge of march, while infantry go 10cm for basic movement and 15cm for a charge.  These seem to be close to metric equivalents for the wab movement rates ( 20cm being 8") so, we could simply use the standard movement rates rather than the common idea of converting 1cm -1inch ( which would require us to play on 6 " deep tables) . Some areas of the rules will require a modification- in combat all stands in base to base fight and any unengaged stand within 2cm of an enemy stand also gets to fight. The 2cm will need to increase.  There are also some cases where commanders have a command radius and that will need to be adjusted

Basing is then the next issue- basing is one of those interminably tedious topics - my cavalry is all singly based on 25x50 and I have around 100 painted already for the Poles so I'll be damned if I have to rebase those. So possibly go either 75x50 or 80x50 for cavalry with 3 to a base.  Infantry could then be on on 80mm frontages ( though 3 figures on an 80 wide base looks odd for close order infantry) or 60 and fudge it a bit.

If you wanted to go Polish, we could do Poland v Lithuanian rebels. The armies are very similar.

Sounds good. Poles is it :)

We can always change the movement to suite out tastes

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2020, 08:01:44 PM »
so Atheling, poles v Lithuanian rebels for 2021, maybe September as that will give me time to get some painting done.  looking at the army lits, I need more Ratjar /Reiter
 PS- Guy is more sisters of mercy/Fields of the Nephilim than Marilion or Pallas or IQ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2020, 09:31:46 PM »
so Atheling, poles v Lithuanian rebels for 2021, maybe September as that will give me time to get some painting done.  looking at the army lits, I need more Ratjar /Reiter

Well, as soon as it is safe for me to get out and about mate so pencil in 2021.

PS- Guy is more sisters of mercy/Fields of the Nephilim than Marilion or Pallas or IQ

Each to their own ;) :)

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2020, 07:49:01 PM »
I had you down as a Seige/ Discharge/ Saciliege kind of guy

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2020, 11:22:30 AM »
I had you down as a Seige/ Discharge/ Saciliege kind of guy

I'll PM you ;)

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »
you could also try the Beneath the Lilly Banners 3rd edition. they released the eastern wars and great northern war supplement, with information on Ottomans and Polish(as well as all great northern war participants). 

it covers 1670-1720, but i think it should cover combat during the deluge just fine. the books are also really nice looking.

I was in the same boat, not really having settled on a ruleset.  BtLB ended up being my option once I really took a look at it.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2020, 08:03:30 PM »
you could also try the Beneath the Lilly Banners 3rd edition. they released the eastern wars and great northern war supplement, with information on Ottomans and Polish(as well as all great northern war participants). 

it covers 1670-1720, but i think it should cover combat during the deluge just fine. the books are also really nice looking.

I was in the same boat, not really having settled on a ruleset.  BtLB ended up being my option once I really took a look at it.

I've got the first edition. I remember it being passed around the SESWC (Edinburgh club) when Barry had just published it. I have yet to play a game though  :-X

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2020, 10:31:37 PM »
the Big difference between 2nd and 3rd is that Barry moved to a different die type for different qualities of troops. so you any troop type needs a 6+ to hit when firing muskets for instance, but Raw troops use a D6, Drilled use a D8, and Veteran troops use a D10.  shaken drops your dice by 1 type, and first fire raises your dice by one type. other wise most other modifiers are to numbers of dice.

I liked 2nd ed, i really like 3rd ed.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2020, 05:55:12 AM »
the Big difference between 2nd and 3rd is that Barry moved to a different die type for different qualities of troops. so you any troop type needs a 6+ to hit when firing muskets for instance, but Raw troops use a D6, Drilled use a D8, and Veteran troops use a D10.  shaken drops your dice by 1 type, and first fire raises your dice by one type. other wise most other modifiers are to numbers of dice.

I liked 2nd ed, i really like 3rd ed.

I'll think about ordering one but if I'm honest I've got three projects on the go and that's really all I can manage for now :)

Barry's rules are superb, not to mention densely packed with beautiful pictures.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2020, 02:32:51 PM »
I did consider those rules but £30 for the main rulebook, which covers a period I have zero interest in, and then another £30 for the supplement which is set after the hey day of the winged lancer4, was hardly a viable proposition. £12 for the fire and sword light rulebook is doable , given the impossibility of finding an opponent round my way- £60 is just crazy
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 01:47:53 PM by Doom Beard 78 »