Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Franco Prussian War 3 Ups!  (Read 20419 times)

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
Re: Perry Franco Prussian War 3 Ups!
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2020, 09:15:16 PM »
Just saw these on Wargames News & Terrain, looks like I can rekindle a long-languishing project.

Puts me in a quandary though; plenty of scope for smaller scale/skirmish gaming:

And Tirailleurs Algeriens! And Turcos! And Republican troops! And Communards!!! And franc-tireurs!

But...
Well, I wonder if I will finally get to do that long cherished Prisoner of Zenda project

Choices, choices...which means, lets face it, probably both.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2020, 07:09:08 PM »
Possibly a few packs in metal to whet the appetite first? Who knows :)

While the Perrys no doubt will be eventually producing quite a range of metals to accompany these plastics, don't expect to see them released as "appetizers". Don't even expect to see WIP pictures of the metal greens before the plastic sets are out.

Looking at the precedent (e.g. ACW, WotR, WWII British/Germans/Americans), whenever the Perrys have announced a new range by showing three-ups for plastics, then those plastics have really been the first release in the range. And while they have been typically well followed by metals (plenty of time to sculpt those while Renedra tools the plastic moulds), those are not usually shown until the plastic set has been released.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 08:28:57 PM »
While the Perrys no doubt will be eventually producing quite a range of metals to accompany these plastics, don't expect to see them released as "appetizers". Don't even expect to see WIP pictures of the metal greens before the plastic sets are out.

Looking at the precedent (e.g. ACW, WotR, WWII British/Germans/Americans), whenever the Perrys have announced a new range by showing three-ups for plastics, then those plastics have really been the first release in the range. And while they have been typically well followed by metals (plenty of time to sculpt those while Renedra tools the plastic moulds), those are not usually shown until the plastic set has been released.

That has not always been the case with the Perry's (For example the Agincourt to Orleans range) but it certainly seems to be the case nowadays. I suppose it makes more sense from a business point of view.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 08:35:20 PM »

I very much agree.

Given that the Afghan tribesmen are slated for an August release (assuming there are no CoVID-related delays) with the Napoleonic Austrian hussars to follow late this year or in early 2021, the release of the 1870 plastic sets is probably still nine to eleven months away. And it is very unlikely indeed that the metal packs (of which there should be a sizable number if Michael Perry intends to cover the war in proper detail) will appear before the plastics.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 09:09:20 AM »
That has not always been the case with the Perry's (For example the Agincourt to Orleans range) but it certainly seems to be the case nowadays. I suppose it makes more sense from a business point of view.

If we go back to the very first Perry plastics, the ACW figures released in early 2009, the basic operational mode can be observed already back then: an entirely new range (ACW) is announced, with a box of plastic infantry as the first release (in this case exceptionally almost immediately followed by a box of plastic cavalry), followed by a line of metal packs and eventually additional plastic boxes over years. Since then, they have done the same with WotR, WWII ranges and some of the Napoleonic ranges - and likely with this new range too.

Agincourt to Orleans (as well as AWI) plastics demonstrate the other Perry approach to plastics, where they release new plastic set to complement a long established metal range. In case of the Agincourt to Orleans range, the oldest metal packs may predate the plastics in the range by close to ten years, so were not exactly intended as appetizers for the plastics.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 09:53:00 AM »
yes but FPW is different..in UK wargame word very few care about it...at least 3 British manufactures plus a German one had made minis for  this period ..with no particular success for i what i can imagine from blogs and subsequent scarse new subjects....i imagine that FPW is a work of love from Perry brothers because they like the subject but we cannot expect (unfortunatly for me) big ranges like ACW or Medieval....FPW is a very French topic, gamed and loved by few people even in France, having access to French sources, speaking French and loving French culture from inside...anyway let's see and hope that i'm totally wrong..in any case a pair of boxes in plastic from each opponent with the Prussian one providing also shako heads for making Landwer and maybe even Jaegers is already a very big asset and gift to FPW fans...compliment to Perry brothers

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2020, 10:36:15 AM »
If we go back to the very first Perry plastics, the ACW figures released in early 2009, the basic operational mode can be observed already back then: an entirely new range (ACW) is announced, with a box of plastic infantry as the first release (in this case exceptionally almost immediately followed by a box of plastic cavalry), followed by a line of metal packs and eventually additional plastic boxes over years. Since then, they have done the same with WotR, WWII ranges and some of the Napoleonic ranges - and likely with this new range too.

Agincourt to Orleans (as well as AWI) plastics demonstrate the other Perry approach to plastics, where they release new plastic set to complement a long established metal range. In case of the Agincourt to Orleans range, the oldest metal packs may predate the plastics in the range by close to ten years, so were not exactly intended as appetizers for the plastics.

I'm with you. I was just pointing out that there have been exceptions :)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2020, 10:43:18 AM »
Yus. I assume we'll see these in 2022 maybe? Or late 2021? The 3-ups are still WIP themselves, and that plastic stuff takes time to get done. :) Still, time to get prepared. ;)

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »
Yus. I assume we'll see these in 2022 maybe? Or late 2021? The 3-ups are still WIP themselves, and that plastic stuff takes time to get done.

I would presume 2021 release, at least for the first set. Past precedent tends to be that once the Perrys have sent the three-ups to Renedra, it takes roughly 6 months until the figures are ready for release.

That said, I would like to give kudos for the Perrys for committing from the start to doing both opposing sides, with plastic infantry. In the past, many manufacturers have had the tendency to put out a range of figures, without following up with obvious opponents.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2020, 12:18:45 PM »
Forgot to mention that of course a lot depends on how long it takes for the Perrys to complete the sculpting, if they are quick then Salute 2021 release might be a possibility - but do not count on it.

Perrys themselves are sensible enough not to give release dates estimates until they have the actual sculpts ready.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:21:08 PM by Griefbringer »

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2020, 07:05:51 PM »
yes but FPW is different..in UK wargame word very few care about it...at least 3 British manufactures plus a German one had made minis for  this period ..with no particular success for i what i can imagine from blogs and subsequent scarse new subjects....i imagine that FPW is a work of love from Perry brothers because they like the subject but we cannot expect (unfortunatly for me) big ranges like ACW or Medieval....FPW is a very French topic, gamed and loved by few people even in France, having access to French sources, speaking French and loving French culture from inside...anyway let's see and hope that i'm totally wrong..in any case a pair of boxes in plastic from each opponent with the Prussian one providing also shako heads for making Landwer and maybe even Jaegers is already a very big asset and gift to FPW fans...compliment to Perry brothers

I suspect that in the UK more people know about the FPW than about the Carlist War or the War of the triple alliance, yet the Perries have make full ranges to cover these periods.You could even include the British intervention force in the ACW as another obscure subject, not sure whether these ranges are high sellers but I strongly suspect they will be providing a full range for this period, as they seem to do this with all the periods they game.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2020, 07:33:01 PM »
I suspect that in the UK more people know about the FPW than about the Carlist War or the War of the triple alliance, yet the Perries have make full ranges to cover these periods.You could even include the British intervention force in the ACW as another obscure subject, not sure whether these ranges are high sellers but I strongly suspect they will be providing a full range for this period, as they seem to do this with all the periods they game.

Michael tends to do more of the esoteric stuff and Alan of course has the gargantuan Napoleonic Everything ranges and ACW among other stuff.

i think the dynamic duo work really well in balance :) Lovely guys too.

Offline tallyho

• Assistant
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »
With covid you're in for a long wait!

Three ups in display for salute next year, with a release late next year.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2020, 09:16:02 PM »
With covid you're in for a long wait!

Three ups in display for salute next year, with a release late next year.

I can be patient :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2020, 08:16:25 AM »
Speaking of Alan, I belive he mention that he was reading a few books on the American war of 1812..... :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous