Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:06:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689697
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Franco Prussian War 3 Ups!  (Read 20615 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Re: Perry Franco Prussian War 3 Ups!
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2021, 05:14:11 PM »
I'm not an expert in artillery too , but i think you speak about the barrel of the ACW 12Lb "napoleon" (first one on photo) wich is a copy of the french "canon obusier de 12".

But concerning gunners, they are always in shell jacket in campaign dress, horse or foot artillery! It is just missing the belt for cartridge box...

regards
paco

Well the ammo pouches and belts on the crews are not a problem if we want to scratch built both...they are useful good priced versatile minis ..I already transformed a pair in Garibaldi gunners and another is being transformed in a FFL or generic French engineer with pick in white sleeve /fatigue order  ....thanks for the info on Napoleon Gun ..but I imagine that 12 lb is quite a big caliber for just a  standard art field piece maybe the other barrels could also do for FPW? ..an howitzer is a small presence in an artillery battery ..we are left with gun carriage that if it’s the same (more or less) of those used by French it will be also very useful for FPW.

Offline John Boadle

• Bookworm
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2021, 10:54:24 AM »
I have done quite a lot of research into the artillery of the FPW, as I have the privilege of sculpting the gun masters for this range. The ACW "Napoleon" was certainly an imitation of the French "Canon de L'Empereur" of the 1850's and the more respectable sort of ACW gunners also had uniforms inspired by French styles. But neither artillery pieces nor uniforms were the same in detail. Just before Christmas I sent a very detailed master for the French 4-pounder to Michael and I can say every specific point is different to the ACW pieces. I would have used components from the plastic ACW set if I could, but it's not possible. You will see the trail is very different, the barrel is different, not just the small fittings. I am now about to convert the 4-pounder master to get the mitrailleuse, which was mounted on basically the same carriage and wheels, then it's the Prussian 4-pounder. The French 12-pounder and Prussian 6-pounder will follow later. I've sent a lot of illustrations and photos to Michael as inspiration for the poses of the gun crew and the equipment used to serve the guns. I think we can be confident the artillery packs will be up to the usual excellent standards in every way, so there will be no need to make do with the ACW stuff. Of course if anyone wants to use the plastic ACW figures to get more variety amongst the gunners, or larger crews than four figures, say, that would certainly be a very valid way to go. There should be scope for swopping the heads of the Plastic FPW infantry set with the ACW gunner bodies, and maybe  a few bits of FPW kit to blend them in a bit.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2021, 01:37:18 PM »
This set is going to be very useful. Now I need to figure it out which rules I want to use. I know I want something tactical, perhaps with platoons as tactical units. There are several rulesets that cover that range of actions, but I suspect that most of them are very generic. I don't know if they could represent the tactical problems of the FPW. I need to check what there is out there and see what fit my needs.

Anyway, great set, indeed. I can only hope the French get the same treatment! (with models in prone positions, by the way!)

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2021, 09:05:23 AM »
I have done quite a lot of research into the artillery of the FPW, as I have the privilege of sculpting the gun masters for this range. The ACW "Napoleon" was certainly an imitation of the French "Canon de L'Empereur" of the 1850's and the more respectable sort of ACW gunners also had uniforms inspired by French styles. But neither artillery pieces nor uniforms were the same in detail. Just before Christmas I sent a very detailed master for the French 4-pounder to Michael and I can say every specific point is different to the ACW pieces. I would have used components from the plastic ACW set if I could, but it's not possible. You will see the trail is very different, the barrel is different, not just the small fittings. I am now about to convert the 4-pounder master to get the mitrailleuse, which was mounted on basically the same carriage and wheels, then it's the Prussian 4-pounder. The French 12-pounder and Prussian 6-pounder will follow later. I've sent a lot of illustrations and photos to Michael as inspiration for the poses of the gun crew and the equipment used to serve the guns. I think we can be confident the artillery packs will be up to the usual excellent standards in every way, so there will be no need to make do with the ACW stuff. Of course if anyone wants to use the plastic ACW figures to get more variety amongst the gunners, or larger crews than four figures, say, that would certainly be a very valid way to go. There should be scope for swopping the heads of the Plastic FPW infantry set with the ACW gunner bodies, and maybe  a few bits of FPW kit to blend them in a bit.

Thank you John, i am not aware of the particularities and details of each gun and carriages ! It's a good new to have a complete very specific range! i 've always prefered a good historical range to any transformation of exiting other periods/country/ ranges!

..an howitzer is a small presence in an artillery battery ..

With the new 1853 system  every gun of a battery is an howitzer, in fact the new "napoleon" is half a canon half an howitzer, it explain his name :" canon-obusier de 12".

In 1858, all guns were rifled (system La Hitte) and used with new amunitions (the famous shells with fuses )

-Each Divisional artillery use 2 batteries of 4"guns  and one of machineguns (instead of 4 for the prussian's divisions)
-Each corps' reserve artillery : 2 batteries of 4"  2 batterie and 12" guns and 2 to 4 batteries of 4" horse artillery (instead of 7 for prussian's corps)

regards
paco
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:11:52 AM by pacofeanor »

Offline John Boadle

• Bookworm
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2021, 06:19:09 AM »
Slightly pre-empting the Perrys' Facebook page, I can report that Michael has very quickly sculpted two different French foot artillery crews to go with the 4-pounder master model which I built, the positions being based on contemporary photographs. Very nice too, of course. Pictures should be on Facebook any day now. I have got the master back and am now converting it for the (in-)famous mitrailleuse, which was based on the same carriage.

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2021, 09:17:38 AM »
Thank you john ! it is a very good new that some photos of artillery will apeared soon!
some photos of guns from museums :

best regards
paco

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2021, 10:16:56 AM »
Other photos on frecnh artillery : Caissons

Another one :

a REFFYE machinegun caisson :

The REFFYE machinegun, how it works :

I will scan a lot of plans and l drawings on  mitrailleuse de REFFYE, ambulances, cacolet (a mule with two seats for wouded), ammunition caissons for artillery and infantry, "cantiniere" wagon etc ...

best regards
paco

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2021, 10:43:13 AM »
I could watch that Mitrailleuse animation all day, it's mesmerising. Very interesting.

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2021, 04:27:23 PM »
Raffye machine gun carriage blue print

paco
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 05:47:53 PM by pacofeanor »

Offline John Boadle

• Bookworm
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2021, 10:22:13 PM »
You have posted some useful and interesting images there, Paco, so thanks very much. I have sent you my email address so that we can enter into correspondence.

Offline John Boadle

• Bookworm
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2021, 01:44:05 PM »
Thanks for these nice, big, clear photos of German guns preserved in museums. I believe the one on a grey-painted carriage is a Bavarian 6-pounder. It used the Prussian Krupp 6-pounder barrel, but on a locally-designed carriage. The medium-sized German states used their own gun carriages rather than buying them from Prussia, and Bavaria at least also had it's own design of 4-pounder barrel, made from "bronze-steel". The gun on a blue-painted carriage is a Prussian Krupp 4-pounder of the C/67 model as used in the war of 1870/71. This one is of the horse artillery type- the foot artillery version had axle seats for a gunner each side of the barrel.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2021, 10:53:52 PM »
I am slightly surprised no one has posted these yet :

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2021, 04:31:26 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this range! As always the Perry's work is fantastic and it's a great period.
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2021, 05:23:53 PM »
Woo hoo yeah baby it’s on!

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2021, 07:30:36 PM »
I am slightly surprised no one has posted these yet :

I agree that those photos need the best followers  :D !!

some image to think about it !

And a link to my blog for more infos on french artillery during the imperial phase of the war :

http://pacofaitlezouave.blogspot.com/2021/01/1870-lartillerie.html

Best regards
paco