Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:54:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689637
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Regiments of Renown scale comparision  (Read 2080 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Regiments of Renown scale comparision
« on: December 29, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
Since the Perrys sculpted them, would the old Regiments of Renown figures scale well with their War of the Roses range of minis? Anyone mixed those two disparate ranges together? I am looking for some minis that would match the size and look of those old GW minis

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: Regiments of Renown scale comparision
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 09:42:01 PM »
I'll take some comparison pictures this weekend, recently got a few of the lovely Regiments of Renown minis 2nd hand and should have some assembled Perry plastics around too.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
I'll take some comparison pictures this weekend, recently got a few of the lovely Regiments of Renown minis 2nd hand and should have some assembled Perry plastics around too.

Thanks!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 10:41:23 PM »
Since the Perrys sculpted them, would the old Regiments of Renown figures scale well with their War of the Roses range of minis? Anyone mixed those two disparate ranges together? I am looking for some minis that would match the size and look of those old GW minis

Yes, perfectly. They're exactly the same size. I couldn't find any of the few Wars of the Roses figures I have, but here are a couple of Regiments of Renown troopers (a Knight of Origo and a Death Commando) next to a pair of Perry Normans from the same period.

The only real difference is that the RoR troopers tend to be quite static.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »
Assumed the interest was mainly in the Italian Wars-esque figures, which is the kind I've got here.

Turns out most figures I have around were from the Hundred Years' War range rather than the War of the Roses ones, and the latter are a little bit smaller (most of my WotR figs are currently in a different country...). This is the best I can do at the moment:

Alcatani Fellowship, HYW plastic, Marksman of Miragliano, WotR plastic archer (note: Victrix head!), Vespero's Vendetta, WotR plastic (command sprue)

Overall, the heights match rather well, the proportions not so much. Limbs are thicker in the RoR metals, metal bare heads as large as the Perry plastics in helmets, and the Vendetta's sword is basically a cricket bat compared to the plastic figure's needle. Feels like one of those "definitely no mixing within the unit; within the army: maybe". Depends a bit on the figures in question how noticeable the differences are. Weapons are probably the main things that will stand out from a distance.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 07:45:01 PM »
Thanks very much for the pictures everyone.

I will not be mixing models together so that isn't an issue. I have two of the pike RoRs and then the crossbow troops with pavaises. So as long as they are generally  the same height then I think I will be okay.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 09:50:44 PM »
Overall, the heights match rather well, the proportions not so much.

Yeah, what he said. I'm happy to mix them in the same unit, but I get why some might not be. I don't know if it's the sculpting style maturing over time to something more lifelike, or the restrictions on delicacy with metal, or improvements in casting, or a dash of everything.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 11:07:33 PM »
Yeah, what he said. I'm happy to mix them in the same unit, but I get why some might not be. I don't know if it's the sculpting style maturing over time to something more lifelike, or the restrictions on delicacy with metal, or improvements in casting, or a dash of everything.

GW still isn't noted for the realism of its weapons  :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 11:11:10 PM »
I seem to have misunderstood the question fairly spectacularly!  lol I thought you were after a comparison of the original Regiments of Renown with the Perry-sculpted Citadel (and later Foundry) WotR range (which are identical in stature). I did wonder why you'd be wanting to field Black Mountain Boys or Death Commandos alongside 15th-century men-at-arms!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 11:15:27 PM »
I seem to have misunderstood the question fairly spectacularly!  lol I thought you were after a comparison of the original Regiments of Renown with the Perry-sculpted Citadel (and later Foundry) WotR range (which are identical in stature). I did wonder why you'd be wanting to field Black Mountain Boys or Death Commandos alongside 15th-century men-at-arms!

And now I know that there was more than one release of the RoR range  :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 12:27:27 AM »
There were I think three editions of the RoR (possibly more, certainly not less). Sounds like you're on the last iteration with Pirazzo's Lost Legion and Ricco's Republican Guard, and suchlike.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 12:51:51 AM by Red Orc »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 02:42:36 AM »
I wasn't aware of those older models at all

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 09:27:23 PM »