Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:15:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: multibased 10mm fantasy ruleset ?  (Read 2686 times)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: multibased 10mm fantasy ruleset ?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 02:32:32 AM »
While I've seen it with larger scales, you can take other games and simply go with the unit as a single thing rather than individuals.

A friend of mine has been playing the advanced Song of Blades and Heroes using entire units rather than individuals, mainly in larger blocks of them with 5x5 groups on trays, but it would work for different base sizes.

You could simply use Blades and Heroes with the smaller movement/range option there. It seems to work rather well with armies done that way.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »
@ Hobgoblin: Thanks.

You guys had me hyped up so much yesterday evening that I bought Mayhem and Fantastic Battles (currently on sale on Wargames Vault).

Dragon Rampant also comes to mind, but it’s a simpler game with a lot of abstraction. I didn’t like the rules for large models and elite units in particular.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 09:28:15 AM by DivisMal »

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 11:32:48 PM »
Great! The more the merrier!

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 04:09:03 AM »
I'm a big fan of Hordes of the Things.

Just recently, I've been poking at Kallistra 10mm figs and noted that they have a couple of hex-based rules Hordes & Heroes Fantasy and Hordes & Heroes Medieval that use bases of figures.  Free download!
https://www.kallistra.co.uk/?page=106

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 11:03:31 AM »
amunptah and Bodvoc have already flagged Fantastic Battles as an option (thanks!). If you haven't had a look at it, please do. The basing is flexible, so long as the base widths are kept uniform.

There have been quite a few posts here over the course of 2020, but for an idea of the rules and links to battle reports etc, visit https://irregularwars.blogspot.com/p/fantastic-battles.html

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 08:33:06 PM »
@SotF
Good point, could do the job. But important for rank & file systems are rules for "front, flanks & rear" in my opinion.

I now red „Mayhem: Fantasy Mass Battles“ by Brent Spivey two times and realy like these mechanics! I am always on the hunt for the more intelligent game mechanics (simple, but create tough choices).
But you have to put a little bit of work in it and it's written in an open way. As i will building up 2 armies and invite people, that's no problem for me (you have to do profilebuilding once), but as Hobgoblin said, other games like Hordes of the things (to dry for me) will be battle ready faster (no profil constuction kit involved; conservative mechanics). Realy want to test Mayhem with proxies (paper) now, but am short on freetime with a 2 years old. Hope you like it too, sundayhero.
EDIT: Tested it now. Had a blast. This is my go to rule-set. It is clever, simple enough, forces tough decisions, has those push your luck moments, unsteadiness, tells a story... WOW.

Because of the postings by Bodvoc and especially amunptah i ordered Fantastic Battles by Nicholas Wright (hi there!), too (hardcopy). He did a good job presenting it on his blog and the layout (sample pages) looks very good. Very excited to read them and learn more about the game mechanics. I assume they will be more conservative again, but as a new book, it is written in a modern way. Will see.
EDIT: Playtested it. Very good / easy Armybuilder & Layout, but core mechanics are not of my taste. Nothing special. Missing dynamics.

That's enough for me but there are good threads in this forum with the same topic (different dates) with many more suggestions.

To the strongest
Warband
Sword and Spear: Fantasy

Happy Wargaming!
Jan

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:15:19 PM by Jan »
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)