Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:49:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yet Another Caesarian Cohort  (Read 3182 times)

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
Re: Yet Another Caesarian Cohort
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 11:12:33 PM »

BTW, thanks for the comparison shot. Have you got one including Aventine by any chance? I have some of them and they match nicely but I've not seen their unarmoured infantry close up of in comparison to others. I realize this may be asking too much.

Well, I don't but the Lead Adventure Forum does on their 'Ancients Scale Comparison Thread':

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=38197.0

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 07:57:45 AM »
Fabulous work mate, project is coming along nicely

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 06:05:54 PM »
I am interested to find out what made you use the colour blue for their shields?  As well as the horse and numbers?

(It looks very good, by the way, as well as the addition of the legion and cohort numbers and the horse.  They are very distinctive and a definite intermediary between how Imperial Roman shields are depicted and those from the Punic Wars.)

Online Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 06:20:19 PM »
Wmyers,

I looked at the shield unit details on earlier and later periods immediately bracketing Caesar's civil war and went to a mid point look. I went with dark blue becasue everyone else was doing red and I wanted to make them a bit different. Also, the HBO series Rome (an absolute firm favourite) whilst using inaccurate shields also used dark blue for the XIII and I like the colour scheme.
I was tossing-up between a green and blue and in my first cohort I've used a few green shields to depict a hangover from a transition to blue for this legion - it was just an idea.
Legio XI is associated with Neptune - hence the trident down the lower spine and the horse - Neptune being the God of all water ways and horses.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 02:50:23 AM »
What else works with the Warlord Caesarean Romans are the Victrix Republican Romans and their Allied Legions.

The heads work excellently.  The Warlord necks are angled forward ever so slightly so the just need an angle cut or file if the head looks too downward.

Each sprue has twice as many heads as bodies so you get lots of extras. 60 per box.  The feathers easily trim off. 

The arms fit perfectly too as they are both designed the same way.

The Victrix pila are thicker than Warlord ones so should not break as easily.

If you have them it’s a way to get some more variety.

Online Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 05:28:27 AM »
Good to know but likely too late for me I'm afraid. By the time I finish the remaining four boxes of Warlord and at least two cohorts worth of Aventine and Foundry unarmoured Romans I'll have a minimum of 16 cohorts. Even I know when I've hit my limit ... well, mostly.

Come to think about it, I'll need more artillery and cavalry. Hmmm .....

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 04:31:08 PM »
It’s hard to limit Romans, for some reason.

Maybe you’ll find someone with the extra heads to trade or give you. 

There is always that second legion you were thinking of...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 04:52:34 PM »
I have found the Aventine sculpts and casts to be of such high quality (including the type of Pewter used) to be the best around.

If Aventine did Cesarean Romans I would buy immediately! My second choice would be the Foundry Cesarean range which has really stood the test of time.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »
I have found the Aventine sculpts and casts to be of such high quality (including the type of Pewter used) to be the best around.

If Aventine did Cesarean Romans I would buy immediately! My second choice would be the Foundry Cesarean range which has really stood the test of time.

And the Aventine prices are not bad, too!

Far more reasonable than Foundry. 

I too would get Aventine Cesarean Romans.

Yes, the Foundry Copplestone Cesareans have stood the test of time.  Their EIR would have as well, if not 25mm...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 07:57:27 AM »
And the Aventine prices are not bad, too!

Far more reasonable than Foundry. 

I too would get Aventine Cesarean Romans.

I think Aventine and Foundry have different modus operandis. I would say that Aventine is very much fuelled by passion and enthusiasm whilst Foundry is more a traditional purely business based model. I've fired off three emails to Foundry of late and had no reply. It does make one wonder......

Yes, the Foundry Copplestone Cesareans have stood the test of time.  Their EIR would have as well, if not 25mm...

True. The Foundry old EIR range is not to be winked at- it is a high quality range- though if you're going to buy, buy soon as Foundry are rejigging their packs in many ranges and putting up their prices again. In some ranges they are charging £4. for a cavalry model (four to a pack). This would be more understandable if they still had full time sculptors producing new models. This I would be willing to pay for- but not for 20 plus year old models with no qualitative progression
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:01:55 AM by Atheling »

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 12:32:44 PM »
Nice painting on those romans :D