Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:38:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690825
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 734
Total: 739

Recent

Author Topic: Second Afghan War Elephant Battery Guns?  (Read 12205 times)

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
Re: Second Afghan War Elephant Battery Guns?
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
This.

Hi,

Apologies for being a little blunt/slightly didactic here..... this is not a great thing to behold when one has just finished gulping down ones morning coffee.....

1/ This thread was originally a quest to find out what equipment was depicted in the image I originally posted re:Second Afghan War Elephant Battery Guns.

2/ Many people have been very helpful and I thank you for your kindness.

3/ ARKOUDAKI is going out of his way to help me. He is being attacked on grounds that are at best flaky and most likely deliberately contentious and quarrelsome.

4/ If you have nothing to offer the conversation in regard to the theme of the original post please butt out and stay out. I am sorry to have to use such language but the LAF I remember being a part of was a fora for wargaming, painting etc and not an amphitheatre for legal debate.

Again, sorry for being so prescriptive about the content of the thread but this is getting very out of hand and has drifted dramatically away from the point.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2020, 11:04:56 AM »
Hmm,  didn't mean to be contentious or quarrelsome, I jumped in to the thread mid way so didn't see the op about the gun.

I was just asking about licensing from Disney out of genuine interest, there seem to be lots of people making Star Wars items and I suspect not all of them have Disney's permission. I don't want to fall foul of copyright laws by printing unlicensed items.

As ARKOUDAKI has made it clear his printing service won't extend to Star Wars, but will be limited to the specific artillery piece in various scales, I'll leave this thread to those that need the gun  :)

Yeah, I'm sorry to have to been so verbose. It's not something particularly enjoy doing.

Re: 3D and the guns- that is the scale of things. A favour kindly offered to a friend with the proviso that I buy the license. :)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2020, 08:02:22 PM »
Hello, just want to ask if we have any progress here? Had the designer been contacted? I'm still very interested in the gun model and would of course buy a licence if it could be realized.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2020, 09:16:08 PM »
Hello, just want to ask if we have any progress here? Had the designer been contacted? I'm still very interested in the gun model and would of course buy a licence if it could be realized.

No sorry. No progress. It doesn't look like a metal gun will be available  :'(

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2020, 10:22:19 AM »
Was the Admiral referring to the 3D print option?

Cheers!
JJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2020, 10:26:33 AM »
Was the Admiral referring to the 3D print option?

Cheers!
JJ

I'm not sure. I haven't heard back on whether that would be viable yet and I want to allow the chap who volunteered his services to do it in his own time as he is doing me a favour (if it is possible- complicated as the only files available are actually 1/1 scale and need to go down to 1/56!!)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2020, 09:10:32 PM »
Sorry guys, I was out of the country for a week collecting the family and bringing them back here (school started today). Just settling in but will try and get back to this when time permits...the boss says I left the house messy while she was away, so I might have KP duty this weekend!  :'(

And just to clarify, I did already contact the designer a few times and he was very helpful. The problem is that he designed the gun at 1:1 scale and made all the pieces. Hence, for scaling it down there will no doubt be some issues getting all the various parts to print. I might be able to combine parts in a CAD program but it would take some time.

I previously suggested to Darryl that it would be best to go ahead and buy one (1) license and see if the project can actually be done. If it is doable and I can get it to print as a descent looking gun, then I will let other interested parties know (so far two of you contacted me) and move from there.

FYI, there is one person that under no circumstances will I be doing anything for, and I am sure you know to whom I refer.

Like Darryl said earlier, I am helping out here and time will be the issue. In general it takes quite a bit of time to do all the supports so that model can be printed. However, once you have it set-up right on the computer then you can print the model out over and over, usually with a good level of success. The intricate nature of the gun and its many parts will be the issue as to whether a 1:1 gun can be done properly in 28mm (1/56). 

More later on....  ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 09:20:01 PM by ARKOUDAKI »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2020, 10:35:30 AM »
Thanks for the update ARKOUDAKI. Mucho appreciated.

I'll PM you later on today  mate.

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2020, 03:57:44 PM »
https://i.postimg.cc/TPv8cV5V/Elephant-Limber.jpg

Thanks for that Rhingyll. Do you know who owns them or where indeed I could buy one (please)?

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2020, 09:51:09 PM »
I only know of one person who may have one of them but I am not positive. It would be JBaumal who often posts on this site. Maybe you could reach out to him. I think he may have most recently posted on Madguru's Battle of Kandahar.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:52:44 PM by Rhingyll »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2020, 10:36:31 PM »
I only know of one person who may have one of them but I am not positive. It would be JBaumal who often posts on this site. Maybe you could reach out to him. I think he may have most recently posted on Madguru's Battle of Kandahar.

Thanks. I think he's been contacted on my behalf already by Mad Guru, sadly to no avail.

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2020, 08:41:52 AM »
Good morning gentlemen,

that a great project!
Actually I'm looking for a 40pdr since I started with NWF.

In case that a printable file becomes available I'd be very interested and of course I'd be willing to buy any appropriate licence for personal use. Unfortunately I don't know how to support. Although I've been 3D printing since a couple of months I'm an absolute 3D sculpting noob.

Cheers
Stefan
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2020, 08:53:31 AM »
Good morning gentlemen,

that a great project!
Actually I'm looking for a 40pdr since I started with NWF.

In case that a printable file becomes available I'd be very interested and of course I'd be willing to buy any appropriate licence for personal use. Unfortunately I don't know how to support. Although I've been 3D printing since a couple of months I'm an absolute 3D sculpting noob.

Cheers
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I can't speak for ARKOUDAKI but the very kind chap that he is going to try to do the printing is a very busy man ans is doing this for me as a personal favour. I'm not sure he would be up for doing any more though I could be wrong. The main problem is that it is a 1/1 scale model and will; need resizing down to 1/56 which is very difficult.