Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:42:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Second Afghan War Elephant Battery Guns?  (Read 11960 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Second Afghan War Elephant Battery Guns?
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2020, 04:43:17 PM »
Here you go …

https://www.etsy.com/listing/687020431/3d-model-british-armstrong-rbl-40?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=28mm+RBL+40-pounder+Armstrong&ref=sr_gallery-1-1

best viewed on a desktop/laptop … different views are shown on the left, just click …

Cheers
JJ

Right gotcha. Thanks JJ  8)

Bearing in mind that 3D printing it completely new to mew how would I get one printed up to 1/56?

1/56 is a little smaller then most 28mm mini's nowadays so what would be the ideal scale?

Also, where is the best place within the UK/EU to get one printed up? Opinions from customers only please ;) :)

I hope to hear from someone soon :)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2020, 12:06:21 AM »
Well as someone that does do 3D printing, it all depends on what scale the designer made it in. On the item description it says 28mm. FYI, often people design in a given scale, 1/48, 1/72, etc....as you need to tailor certain things to the scale. However, some design in 1:1 and then it is up to the person to decide what scale they want to do it in. The guy made this in Fusion 360, which is pretty user friendly. That said, it also depends on how the guy has configured the parts, as this would be best printed in resin and you need to support the parts for them to print properly.

If you are interested in getting this I could give it a try printing it out for you. PM me if your interested.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2020, 12:21:11 AM »
For clarification, Jack wrote:

‘These 3D files are for personal, non-commercial use only. Without a written permission from me, you may not sell, copy, exchange, transfer, publish, assign or otherwise distribute anything you copy or derive from these files.’

This is a standard bit that 3D designers do when selling their files. My guess would be that if each interested party bought the file the designer would be happy with that. Then each license holder could print up as many of the things as they wanted for their 'personal usage'.  In short, this is not for filing sharing and that is way uncool to even consider.

If any of you are serious about this then let me know. It would give me a break from printing Star Wars Legion minis for my son and AFV conversions parts for me! :)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:27:10 AM by ARKOUDAKI »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 08:02:19 AM »
For clarification, Jack wrote:

This is a standard bit that 3D designers do when selling their files. My guess would be that if each interested party bought the file the designer would be happy with that. Then each license holder could print up as many of the things as they wanted for their 'personal usage'.  In short, this is not for filing sharing and that is way uncool to even consider.

If any of you are serious about this then let me know. It would give me a break from printing Star Wars Legion minis for my son and AFV conversions parts for me! :)

Thanks ARKOUDAKI. PM inbound :)

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 09:07:36 AM »
On the item description it says 28mm.

The web site states that the scale is 1:1:

‘The model is extremely detailed. Many contemporary and modern documents were consulted during the creation of this model. The scale is 1:1 with the drawing unit being millimeters.’

Anyhow … I have PM-ed you.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2020, 12:15:14 PM »
Hi guys, Wow, got a flurry of IMs from people. Okay, let me sum up things rather than answer individually all the IMs.

(1) I have already messaged the designer of the guns on Etsy asking some basic questions. Once I get a response, I will revert to people here.

(2) As for those of you that want this piece, as I stated I am happy to do the printing on my Photon resin printer. You can just cover costs as none of you can afford my time (LOL). I will sort that out with people individually ONCE I get a response back from the designer. Given past experiences, I would then set-up the pieces for printing (this sucks loads of time) and then print a test one out (more time). Then I would post some pics and we can go from there.

(3) For those of you wanting to get these guns you would EACH need to buy a license directly from the designer but DON'T DO THAT YET, as I am still waiting to hear back from the guy. If the designer has done the work in Fusion 360 as I would suspect, it would be a bunch of separate components that one prints out and then assembles to make the gun.

In closing, this looks like a fun project but UNTIL I hear back from the designer on the questions I asked him, please hold your horses and keep your powder dry.

PS Lastly, as most of you know, I have been around on the forum for awhile and I am a trustworthy type...so please act accordingly. :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2020, 12:35:16 PM »
Got it.

I wait with baited breath :)

.....and many thanks for going to all this trouble  8) 8) 8)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »
@ Jack Jones

The web site states that the scale is 1:1:

‘The model is extremely detailed. Many contemporary and modern documents were consulted during the creation of this model. The scale is 1:1 with the drawing unit being millimeters.’

I didn't spot that I just saw the file search on your item saying "28mm RBL 40-pounder Armstrong"...but perhaps that was your search parameter.

If the gun is 1:1 it can be done in scale but just bare in mind that things don't always print well if they aren't designed for a specific scale. I know that may not sound logical to everyone but trust me, it is how things work, as you may not technically be able to make everything in detail as you scale down. For example, I work with a lot of files for 1/48 AFVs but I also do 1/72 AFVs, so I need to rescale them. However, just because it works in 1/48 (for which is was designed) doesn't mean it will work in a smaller scale.

In any event, I still haven't heard back from the designer but once I do I will post up here and let you guys know what is happening. :)

FYI, my next big project is printing a Star Wars Clone Wars LAAT (ie Republic Gunship) for my son in 1/47 (Legion scale). That should be interesting...and time consuming

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »
.....and many thanks for going to all this trouble

I will get you painting all my Perry plastic Sudanese!  lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2020, 12:42:51 PM »
I will get you painting all my Perry plastic Sudanese!  lol

Gulp!  lol

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2020, 06:58:14 PM »
Hi guys, Wow, got a flurry of IMs from people. Okay, let me sum up things rather than answer individually all the IMs.

(1) I have already messaged the designer of the guns on Etsy asking some basic questions. Once I get a response, I will revert to people here.

(2) As for those of you that want this piece, as I stated I am happy to do the printing on my Photon resin printer. You can just cover costs as none of you can afford my time (LOL). I will sort that out with people individually ONCE I get a response back from the designer. Given past experiences, I would then set-up the pieces for printing (this sucks loads of time) and then print a test one out (more time). Then I would post some pics and we can go from there.

(3) For those of you wanting to get these guns you would EACH need to buy a license directly from the designer but DON'T DO THAT YET, as I am still waiting to hear back from the guy. If the designer has done the work in Fusion 360 as I would suspect, it would be a bunch of separate components that one prints out and then assembles to make the gun.

In closing, this looks like a fun project but UNTIL I hear back from the designer on the questions I asked him, please hold your horses and keep your powder dry.

PS Lastly, as most of you know, I have been around on the forum for awhile and I am a trustworthy

type...so please act accordingly. :)

Sorry but if somebody want to buy a model it’s ridiculous to oblige everybody to “buy a license” ..if stated in that way by the designer ..from a juridical perspective its simply an exortsion ..I’m ready to buy the product even at a cost higher than his bloody license but I’ll never buy his license
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:01:57 PM by italwars »

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2020, 07:19:35 PM »
Sorry but if somebody want to buy a model it’s ridiculous to oblige everybody to “buy a license” ..if stated in that way by the designer ..from a juridical perspective its simply an exortsion ..I’m ready to buy the product even at a cost higher than his bloody license but I’ll never buy his license

Well your choice but I definitely will not be printing you out anything if this goes ahead. In short, what you are suggesting is flat out 'pirating' where you buy one item and then make multiple copies of it! Perhaps you think that is okay but I don't! I don't pirate other people's work to sell on.

Let's be clear how this all works. If a designer goes to the trouble of making something it is his/her intellectual property, and if they offer up a 3D file then that is what the license fee covers. In fact, unless they are selling a lot of the item the designer usually doesn't earn back his/her time and effort put into actually making the thing. By buying the files you agree to the designer's terms and conditions. If you don't like it, go get a CAD program and make your own.

Since getting my 3D printer I have collected quite a few files of things I want to print out. Some I paid for (license for my own personal usage) and some were free (again, with a license for my own personal usage). That is how it works and I respect that.

I originally jumped in and offered to help out but there is always somebody that thinks they are somehow a 'special' person who wants to take advantage. I have no time for such people.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »
@ ARKOUDAKI

I didn't spot that I just saw the file search on your item saying "28mm RBL 40-pounder Armstrong"...but perhaps that was your search parameter.

If the gun is 1:1 it can be done in scale but just bare in mind that things don't always print well if they aren't designed for a specific scale. I know that may not sound logical to everyone but trust me, it is how things work, as you may not technically be able to make everything in detail as you scale down. For example, I work with a lot of files for 1/48 AFVs but I also do 1/72 AFVs, so I need to rescale them. However, just because it works in 1/48 (for which is was designed) doesn't mean it will work in a smaller scale.

Yes, 28mm was a search criterion.

I think I understand your point about quality of print … some details may be too small to render, or may need modification if they are to reproduce at all ?

And quite right – your points about IP.

Thanks for your interest and effort here … all very exciting.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2020, 07:29:44 PM »
I’m not asking you anything so your answer it’s totally out of place..I underline the absolutely wrong and unfair stance of the designer that you seem to support so much..is it this guy an attorney entitled to rule against the common law or maybe it’s god?
Arkoudaki it seem that you ve instead plenty of time if you represent this guy with the aim of trying to sell both the product and a supposed to be license plenty of time for the same object ..probably your doing worst than supporting piracy (as you just Seem to admit) If your aim is to ask people to pay twice for the same item..I’m sorry for you but you ll not get my money
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:36:30 PM by italwars »