Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 636
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 626
Total: 634

Recent

Author Topic: Franco-Prussian War in 10mm (Pendraken)  (Read 18084 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Franco-Prussian War in 10mm (Pendraken)
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 07:47:49 AM »
Fair enough. I must admit to doing exactly the same. I often really like the look of one side in a conflict (Zulu War British) but find the other side really boring (Zulus) so just do one side in the hope one of my pals will want to do the other.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 01:07:34 AM »
My crew played a campaign of the whole war a few years back using Bloody Big Battles. I provided the French and a buddy did the Prussians. I also put together Bavarians. We played a series of historical battles, no map movement, made it easy for me since I'm the guy who keeps track of stuff.

Once the Prussians are done go for Bavarians. It is amazing how many battles they were in, both in the Imperial phase and the later Republican phase.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2020, 10:57:12 AM »
Food for thought.

Right now I'm working on 5 regiments. Hopefully an update soon.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »
Just finished another batch of 18 infantry and here are a couple pics:

The charging figures were more difficult to paint than the standing ones, however, that brings me to a total of 63 infantry of the 90 I need for 5 regiments.

I'm still having a problem with basing because all the command figures are standing and the infantry are standing, charging and running. So I'm not sure if I should base them by figure pose or mix them all together. Another option would be to have one regiment of the same pose and the rest mixed. I'll be doing some mock ups with my finished and unpainted troopers to see how I proceed.

Think for the next group I will do another batch of infantry and a regiment of hussars.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 05:05:06 PM »
Here is a mock up using just the standing and charging infantry:

They look pretty good. In their final form each base would include 1 mini running.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 08:47:24 AM »
Looks fantastic  :o

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 02:01:12 PM »
Thanks, matey!

To be quite honest I would love to do these at the battalion level instead of the regimental level. So 1 of those units would be a battalion and 3 of them would be a regiment. Cavalry would be 15 miniatures per regiment and artillery 3 guns per battery but the amount of painting required would be crazy!  o_o

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2020, 03:25:50 PM »
They are nifty looking little chaps.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2020, 03:49:31 PM »
They are indeed.

Hope I don't get sidetracked with the beta release of Grand Tactician Civil War on the 21st of August.

http://www.grandtactician.com/thecivilwar/index.html

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 07:22:13 PM »
Thanks, matey!

To be quite honest I would love to do these at the battalion level instead of the regimental level. So 1 of those units would be a battalion and 3 of them would be a regiment. Cavalry would be 15 miniatures per regiment and artillery 3 guns per battery but the amount of painting required would be crazy!  o_o

DO IT  :D

Online valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
This looks great and very interesting
I've never painted 10mm figures but I've struggled to get 15s done on sticks and prefer individual bottle tops being jealous of those of you who seem able to do its this way particularly when the paint job is so good
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 11:40:57 PM »
This is the first time I use sticks. Never used them for 15mm either.

There are 2 reasons why I have gotten used to using them. First, of course, is that I have got to paint a snot load of miniatures. Second, is because they have so much detail that doing them individually would take way too much time. So with the stick, I will position the bottom figure such that the stroke for some detail (say a nose) is clearly seen and easily accessible with the brush. Then I will make that stroke on the first mini, let the stick slide through my hand to the next so it maintains the same position visually, and then stroke again. I keep doing that until they are all completed. Then it is back to the first one and over and over. With all the detail on the minis, I am doing a lot of single stroke paint work... over and over.

To be quite honest it is a huge pain in the arse and it is only when I have actually completed a batch of minis am I able to sit back and say to myself... those are nice and worth the effort.

On the workbench ATM are 12 more charging infantry, 10 hussars and a mounted officer.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2020, 11:48:10 AM »
They are hugely impressive.

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 10:23:49 AM »
These are excellent Ray! I've been thinking about doing some 10mm ACW, not sure which manufacturer yet.
With regards to the new ACW PC game, yep, it surely does look interesting. I really enjoyed watching a bunch of your play-throughs of Ultimate General Civil War on YouTube, a very cool game.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »
Hey thanks Jack for the great comments!

I almost went ACW with my new project, but I have done at least 2 in the past so I decided to try something different. The ACW has a special place in my heart and was my first wargaming army in 15mm (both sides). If time permits though, at my age, I may very well do it again.

Ultimate General Civil War was a blast to play, from either side. I will dive into Grand Tactican and given all goes well (being fun to play, etc.), will almost certainly do a couple YouTube campaigns with it as well. Don't expect that to happen any time soon though as it will take some time to learn how to play it and then tackle the game at its hardest difficulty.