Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:55:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Franco-Prussian War in 10mm (Pendraken)  (Read 18074 times)

Offline Gunner who?

• Bookworm
Re: Franco-Prussian War in 10mm (Pendraken)
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2020, 06:51:04 AM »
Hello Ray,

I donīt want to spoil your phantastic miniatures but I am afraid the horse-tail of the trumpeterīs helmet was red...but that is easy to fix I guess.

If you search for "casque 1858 trompette" you will find some nice originals.

Cheers Fedja

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2020, 10:41:21 AM »
Svennnŋ!ŋ! Nice to hear from you!  :)

Thanks for the compliment, but you know after that statement, photos will be demanded!  ;)

I'm pretty sure you don't really want to see lots of tiny Chinese daubed by my hand.

Anyway, get a move on, I am waiting impatiently to see your Boche
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »
Hi, Fedja

I donīt want to spoil your phantastic miniatures but I am afraid the horse-tail of the trumpeterīs helmet was red...but that is easy to fix I guess.

There are a couple inaccuracies with my troopers. Another is that the officers should have white epaulettes. But I think in the cause of the horse-tail, I will change it to red. Thanks!

Svennn...

Anyway, get a move on, I am waiting impatiently to see your Boche

Indeed, I've been getting that vibe for quite some time now. Perhaps after I do the 2 Zouave Regiments I'm prepping right now, I will begin painting some of the Prushans.  ;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2020, 02:08:51 PM »
So a question for folks a lot more familiar with this period than myself?

Since I have a French regiment depicted as 3 bases of 6 men (on 30x30 bases) representing roughly 750 men per battalion, would it be correct to say that for the Prussians I would need 3 bases of 8 men (40x30) to represent a regiment of 3,000 men with 1,000 men per battalion? (This is my intention ATM.)

Or should I just blow off historical proportions and base my Prussians just like my French?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:40:37 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »
For my two penneth I am sorry to say but I think you are going to have to paint those six extra figures.

Argument 1 says don't do it to maintain neatness and symmetry between the armies.

This isn't chess plus argument 2 says you already know the differences and it will always be in the back of your mind if you do not represent it.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2020, 05:11:19 PM »
I don't mind painting the extra minis for the Prussians as they are probably a lot easier to do than the French.

I'm still trying to get my head around having 2 different infantry battalion size frontages. Don't think I have ever seen that with war gaming. Wouldn't one side or the other adjust their frontage in battle to be symmetric?

For the Prussians I could:

1) Use a 40mm front and accept an asymmetrically frontage.

2) Use a deeper base so that the frontage is the same but the Prussians have more men (3,3,2 for example).

3) Try to cram 2 more Prussians onto the same 30x30 base I am using for the French.

Thoughts?

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2020, 05:36:55 PM »
I didn't take into account those rather valid points when I replied. My excuse is two fold. I use 40mm frontage for all my 10mm (the plastic bases from Pendraken in the main) so envisaged the French being more spaced out. I generally put eights per base but my only consideration is aesthetics as I am not ever working to a rule set and treat everything as an element.

Maintaining frontage would be sensible so going deeper would be my choice, I would probably go 3,3,3 personally to maintain the block look.

Someone will come along with the correct answer I am sure.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2020, 08:44:36 PM »
Well... I found this:

On the parade ground the company drilled in three ranks, but in action the third rank became a third platoon that was largely used as a skirmish line. In the official reports for 1866 and 1870 they were often referred to as the skirmish section. - Mark Strachan
https://stracmark.blogspot.com/p/franco-prussian-war-armies-german.html (In the comments section)

That would mean I should go deep with the same frontage as the French. So a first line representing "the skirmish section" and then behind them a bit 2, formed lines of infantry. So it would be 2,3,3.

Comment, recommendations, anyone?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:43:49 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2020, 12:14:04 PM »
Okay, so it appears the answer to my question lies in the rules that I use.

BBBs uses the amount of stands for strength. So in this case, the Prussians would have 4 stands of 6 to represent a regiment. The 1870/1871 rules abstracts strength and uses bases. So 3 battalions are 3 bases irrespective of the strength. I shall be buying both and go from there.

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2020, 06:08:23 PM »
I applaud your choice, Ray!   :D

I hope you'll be very satisfied with your purchases, and that they do your gorgeous armies justice.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
BBBBlog
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2020, 09:23:59 PM »
It will probably be after the Holidays though Chris. I have already spent my money for more miniatuers Christmas.

;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »
A small update.

I've been working a bunch of stuff, but in general progress has been slow. I've done a "woods" scenic which I think is interesting but haven't been able to get pics of it because of the lowered sun.

I've done some more generals... a division commander and aide and a Garde Brigadier:

The center figure looks a little strange because he is tilted to one side, however, he also has an arm change. These guys are based and as soon as conditions permit I'll have a shot of them finished.

Have also been working on 2 pretty colorful regiments of Zouaves. This is the first batch of 15 minis complete (a fairly blurry crappo photo but I think you get the idea of how they look):

Once they are finished I'll try to do a photo shoot of all my new stuff based and ready to fight!

Anyway... I'm still at it...  :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2020, 05:52:08 PM »
Your work on the generals is outstanding! I also like the posture of the Zouaves! Keep up the good job!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »
This is a great project. Good job on the minis Ray, they look excellent!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2020, 10:30:42 AM »
The tiny generals are spiffing  :-*