Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:57:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: If Cost Is The SAME, Would Your Rather MAKE Or BUY Terrain?  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Vis Bellica

• Scientist
    • Vis Lardica
Re: If Cost Is The SAME, Would Your Rather MAKE Or BUY Terrain?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 04:05:19 PM »
I'm the opposite: but every time!

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 07:03:40 PM »
I like making terrain, and I like even more using it on the gaming table to add to the verisimilitude effect of our struggles.

But a few years back I broke down and bought a couple thousand bucks worth of Dwarven Forge, even though the postage almost doubled the cost. Don't regret it for a minute, and that stuff has gotten a real workout.

My fantasy-medieval village is growing slowwwwwly, though. It's the detailed interiors that slow things down the most. But the end result is very satisfying. I think that's why some of us craft terrain and paint figures. The end result just feels so good.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 08:55:08 PM »
Make, every time. In fact I'd probably rather make the terrain if it was more expensive. But that's because a) I'm sick, and b) the joy of making it is in crafting it exactly how you want.

I feel the same here.  For me, the pure joy of building my very own terrain features can’t be matched.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:04:15 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
It would depend entirely on my mood of the moment. Sometimes I really enjoy the process of making terrain, sometimes I just can't be faffed.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 07:26:13 AM »
Make. Although I occasionally buy a specifically beautiful (or cheap) piece of terrain I love making it. 
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 07:38:57 AM »
Make it. I love the originality (despite the fact that I now make files and sell them, therefore make them no longer unique, lol)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 09:23:53 AM »
For me the main determinants are skill, funds and space.

If I had unlimited funds and space,I'd buy all the terrain I'm likely to need (and probably some extra that I just like).

If I had unlimited skill and space, I'd make all the terrain I'm likely to need (and probably some extra just for fun).

In reality none of those things are unlimited. Some of them - like skill - are very limited. Last time I was playing a game at home with my kids involving taking a river crossing, I set up the board using a blue scarf and a cardboard bridge. We just imagined that there were 'banks' to the river, and that the water wasn't slightly higher than the land. Often my terrain has been pretty abstract. However, I'm trying to get better at building. Funds, not so limited, I have more money than I did 10-20 years ago (thinks, haven't been buying as many minis lately, maybe that's where the money's come from ;D) but really I'm not in the market for commissioning terrain. Space ultimately is a hard constraint. I don't have a 'games room'. My terrain needs be easily packed away.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
I prefer to build, but I enjoy the process. If it cost the same I would still want to build what I have in my head, vice trying to find something close enough. I think I feel a sense of pride in those things I've created, and something I've just slapped paint on rarely hold a place in my heart the same way. I feel the same way about figures I've sculpted myself. I like them more than anything I've ever bought, but I will admit it is more difficult to sculpt something than to glue some cardboard into a house lol

I will also agree that some part of the equation for building terrain is that it costs FAR less than buying. It really isn't equal in the end.

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2020, 02:43:37 PM »
I build my own. In fact I'd much rather spend money on more figures (which I can't create on my own) then on terrain.

I enjoy the process as well and like to have original stuff.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2020, 04:20:44 PM »
I'm inbetween I guess. I like to buy mdf and plastic parts and then sculpt and paint them into something new.

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 04:27:38 PM »
I have been blessed with the ability, tools, time, space and tolerant spouse to build terrain for myself and others, mostly 15 and 28mm, for many years.  This includes ships and islands, from single buildings, features or hills to vast game boards including structures, from the ACW town of Harper's Ferry 8x16, to Fort Duquesne model 12x12, a huge model of Stalingrad ruins, a Southwestern rail town valley with mountains on both ends 6x12, a 54mm scale Three Musketeers tavern, a 12x8 Batle of New Orleans battlefield, FIW forts and towns, castles, La Haye Sainte, many panels for general game boards and several others.

I also love to paint figures and have completed many is several periods.

The factors that governs a decision between make or buy include:
1. Is what I want available from any accessible source?
2. Is what is available sufficient for my needs:period, size, features, appearance, etc.?
3. How much time will this take, and how much time is available until the game this is for will take place?
4. Will I be able to store (when you build it you must be able to store it) and transport this terrain?  (One's ambitions for large games is a big factor here).
5. Just because I can buy figures, ships, buildings, etc., will I have the time and motivation to complete them for use (painting, rigging, weathering,etc. are all time consuming, even if enjoyable).

In most cases, I would rather build what I want to use for a game.  But, buying items saves time.  Many of the things I build for a game, especially terrain pieces, panels, large features are only possible to do yourself.  So, time available, items available and cost make up a large part of the yea or nay to build it myself.  I hope these meandering thoughts help your decision.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 01:44:22 AM »
Since I just bought some terrain, I guess I am on the buy side more than the build side.   :)
2024: B: 0; P: 43; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 03:51:16 PM »
If neither time nor money were limiting factors then I would buy stuff I couldn't make as well and make stuff that I could make better than the commercial products.

eg a 6 mm forest that suits my requirements and looks good doesn't exist so I'd continue to make them.  Roads are so easy to make and quite fun so I would definitely continue to make them.  Buildings for my 6 mm I might buy but they would have to scale with the stuff I've made so I'd probably continue to make them as well.

For 28 mm fantasy buildings I'd rush off and buy Tabletop World stuff all day long.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2020, 08:20:27 AM »
Cost is only part the equation, time and availability are important factors too.

Assuming that the cost is the same and that the exact product I want exists, I'd buy every time.

Cost:
Isnt the same, far from it in many cases. Homemade mats are a good example.

Time:
I like making terrain, but it takes time and I have limited hobby time these days.

Availability:
Many products that I want just dont exist. I havent found a commercially available mat that wasnt 100% flat, I want a little texture.

Anyways, I like making terrain and I dont think I have purchased anything that I didnt modify at least a little.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 08:23:16 AM by Munindk »

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
I do both. I don't mind building terrain or scratch building, but sometimes i can buy something that saves so much time or has more detail than i could ever hope top add. I have a guy in Slovakia that makes very nice stuff on commission so i order a couple times a year from him. 4Ground makes such detailed Wild West buildings I add those into the ones I build myself. There was a KickStarter last year for a resin Mayan/lizardmen temple with detail I could never, ever sculpt. Bought it to add to the stuff I can build as a focus piece. There is no way I can save time building WW2 buildings versus what I bought from Charlie Foxtrot Models. But the streets and bocage and gardens and to dress up my version of 1944 France are my own builds.