Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:42:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689764
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Downsizing Due to Age  (Read 7196 times)

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
Downsizing Due to Age
« on: July 26, 2020, 03:58:00 PM »
Anyone else downsizing their wargame collections due to the inexorable creep of age? I’ve gradually been selling off collections and plan on trying to sell more.  A big part of the motivation is that I don’t want to stick my family with the chore.  I helped liquidate a collection after the death of a friend and it made me realize I didn’t want my family to be saddled with something like that.  I’m not selling everything; I intend to still be active but there are collections I have that haven’t seen the light of day for years.  Anyone else doing this?
Hail to the King, baby.

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Downsizing Due to Age
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 04:29:11 PM »
Not yet... but I have thought about when I should start . I'm in my early 50's so still  way to go yet... I hope...

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 04:35:47 PM »
I've started doing it with my Arnhem books and memorabilia As Ragbones says, stuff that hasn't been looked at in years. I've not started on my wargames armies yet, there's a large collection of 'old skool' ACW Spencer Smiths, that'll most likely never fight again.

:'(
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 05:21:43 PM »
Yeah, I'm realising that priorities shift and the toys are just fun distractions. I'm much less acquisitive than I used to be, and now clear out the collection periodically. It's quite a load off sometimes, to rehome something you feel guilty for not ever painting.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 05:46:41 PM »
My dad is in his late 50s and has started this process. Interestingly he too feels much better clearing away all that space and he has actually started painting more and enjoying it as a result of having less to do.

I'd say there is still a need for those fun distractions though. I like painting more than gaming (same as the Da) and recently introduced a friend nearly in his 40s to painting some minis and he admitted its helped him with his anxiety a lot. Just having something that is calming and gives focus is a worthy endeavor.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 06:56:40 PM »
 I am starting to thin my collection down too.Turned 50 this Year and a few things have happened that make you wonder what will happen to it all.So many years of collecting all sorts of ranges of miniatures and different scales.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 08:11:24 PM »
Having just dealt with my father-in-law’s sizeable stamp and football memorabilia collections, I know that it's important to get your stuff organised and, ideally, have someone knowledgeable in place who’s able and willing to take in on. I’ve nominated a collection heir who's ten years younger than me to take his pick and then sell the rest on behalf of the missus.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:27:29 AM by Citizen Sade »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 11:53:45 PM »
Interestingly he too feels much better clearing away all that space and he has actually started painting more and enjoying it as a result of having less to do.

This. Yup, it's that weight of options from having too many projects floating in limbo that just seems to seize up my brain. I like to have a few realistic choices of projects on the go, stuff I could, in theory, actually finish. But the piles and piles of things ... they lose their sparkle after a while and become a burden, more likely to put me off trying to start them.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 05:56:33 AM »
But the piles and piles of things ... they lose their sparkle after a while and become a burden, more likely to put me off trying to start them.

I had the same thoughts recently.  I'm only 56 but I have started selling off unused miniature collections and rare books. Partially to buy different hobby items, partially as a part of our tentative plan to downsizing our home and partially to ease the mental weight of the piles. Ebay selling can be a pain but I do appreciate the end results.  Most of my painted armies and terrain is at our gaming club (a friends basement).  I have never my hobby activity but when inventoried for the first time in years due to a possible move, it caused quite a lively discussion at home. I expect to sell more painted armies in the next few years.

Some of my gaming group are younger with a new families (so no money)  and have taken advantage and gotten a few deals on unpainted miniatures.  Makes me feel better as the models are actually getting painted by some one who is enjoying them. Always a plus when I get to game with them too.  lol
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 08:21:07 AM »
It's really gone full circle for me now. In the late sixties and early seventies several of us built up large Airfix Napoleonic Armies. When we all grew up these were put in shoe boxes in our loft. Off we all went weaving our little lines into life's rich tapestry, childhood toys forgotten.
Last couple of years I've dug out the little Airfix men, all of whom were looking very sorry for themselves. When I needed a rest from painting 'proper' wargame figures, an Airfix Regiment got resurrected and based. This kind of went mental during the plague and now the little bastards have overrun the new emporium by the seaside.
Best is I still love them and I'm really looking forward to 'em marching the fields of glory again.
So that's downsizing turned into upsizing really, innit!!!???

::)  :-*  ::)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:25:12 AM by Harry Faversham »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 10:19:42 AM »
Having moved home last year , leaving my basement gaming room behind, I was forced to downsize as I simply didn’t have the room in the new house. I sold about a quarter of my figure collection for £1,500 . When I told my wife and Son they looked at me in amazement and said they would have thrown everything in the bin as they had no idea that the figures were worth anything !!!

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 11:54:25 AM »
We have just had a huge downsize as moved house. I went from a reasonable wargames room to sharing a small hobby space with the wife.
That and a realisation that I had less painting years ahead than behind. So huge armies are never going to get finished now.
Have sworn not to buy anything new unless I can balance it with flogging something off.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 03:28:00 PM »
Have sworn not to buy anything new unless I can balance it with flogging something off.

As a plan that's ambitious...

But crap!

lol

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 03:58:12 PM »
That might be your opinion but have kept to it.
Am massively in credit with the stuff I have sold this year.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 06:23:09 PM »
I started a couple of years ago when I turned sixty.
I have gotten rid of a bunch of lines and eras. Still
have plenty and hasn't stopped me from buying more.
But now I don't large army type games but smaller skirmish
with much fewer figures. I realize that at some point we will
be moving to a smaller place and my gaming basement will
not be going with us.