Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:08:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689820
  • Total Topics: 118298
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Basing; of washers and slotted bases  (Read 7721 times)

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
    • Golden Goblin Gaming Group
Basing; of washers and slotted bases
« on: March 21, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »
I noticed a lot of historical gamers base their individual models on washers. Is there a special reason for this - be it game technical, aesthetical, or otherwise?

You see, I'm used to gluing figs in/on plastic bases. I love the round slotted bases (Dark Age, Warmachine) but I think they're a 'bit' too big for many of the historical figures I possess... I'd like to base my figures individually as I prefer skirmish games to mass battle systems.

Anyone like to give some advice on this? Maybe with a specific game system in mind?

k.
Golden Goblin by day & night, Great Old One after hours!

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:51:30 AM »
Aesthetical reasons.
I base my figs on plastic bases and my canons, chariots and other big models on plywood bases instead of plasticard. My reason is I want to move the figures without touching them directly. Therefor I accept they're not looking that good (washer-bases fitting better in the scenery etc.).
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline mahon

• Bookworm
    • Chest Of Colors: All About Miniature Painting
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:56:29 AM »
I think the reason is that they don't add as much to height of figures as normal bases would...
Mahon
Chest of Colors: All About Miniature Painting

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 11:20:50 AM »
I think it's because sci-fi and fantasy minis from the big companies come with slottabases, and historicals usually don't!

Hardcore historical guys base on small squares of cardboard, so they can arrange them in ranks.

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 11:21:22 AM »
It depends.

For almost all my projects post 6/2006, I´ve chosen to use the washers, since finally, they have become cheaper than GW slottas.

For higher-paint-quality projects, such as restricted-number Skirmish games, I still use the plastics for the same reason the General mentioned, easier to move the figures without damage.

AS well as that, older, but unfinished projects will be continued in a style that fits the existing minis, although I might rebase some.

For example, my SCW and WW2 28s are all based on steel washers, whereas all my Cyberpunk stuff is on plastic or resin slotta-sized bases.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 11:27:13 AM »
Aesthetical, looks just better in the scenery

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:04:21 PM »
I am washer man, myself. Pretty hardcore even. I rebase pretty much everything I paint on 25mm washers for all the reasons already mentioned plus the fact that it gives them a lower point of gravity and their magnetic properties can be used to an advantage.

There are s few problems of course.

Many minis need to be prepped either by cutting the piece that normally goes into slot to fit the center hole of the washer. If that is not possible drilling with 1mm bits and using brass wire supports is needed. Quite fiddly if the mini is just standing on one scrawny leg but doable with practice and the right tools

There is less 'give' in a metallic base so plastic miniatures (like GW LotR horses) should propably be glues into plastic bases. (i.e. plastic to plastic, metal to metal or the bond will be stringer than the material an the leg rather than the bond will break). I still prefer the extra gravitas of a washer so thats what I am

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 02:40:57 PM »
I started using washers recently, but haven't thought much about it. When the miniature comes with a small integral base as opposed to a slottabase tab, putting in on a washer just feels like the more natural choice. The integral base already adds a bit of height so the extra height of a plastic base would be overkill (and I haven't bothered to track down some of those recessed plastic bases).

I should add that I'm totally indifferent to having miniatures with differing base shapes on the gaming table. Some have slottabases, some have washers and some have big enough integral bases not to need anything more.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline rjandron

• Bookworm
    • Historical Wargames
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 04:34:58 PM »
I use metal bases to assist with storage and transport.

I use adhesive magnetic sheet in plastic bins to store and transport my forces. The magnetic sheet holds the washer-based figures in place and, as long as the bin is not shaken too violently, allows the figures to arrive at the game area without having their paint chipped or weapons broken.
Historical Wargames - My Historical, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Steampunk, and Pulp Gaming Page.

Offline drew

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »
Quick question for those that use washers, for larger mins e.g. horses what's the approach, a larger washer? or is an oval created and if so - how?

Not a fan of slottabases and looking to make the leap to the other side..

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 07:57:25 AM »
I hate slotta bases, they're too tall and make a figure top-heavy. I base on coins, a British 2 pence piece is 25mm across and costs less than a washer (they're also magnetic but I don't use this property)

If figures need to be ranked up or conform to a floor grid so that they require rectangular or square bases I cut them from 60thou plasticard or, for bigger bases, I buy circular plywood bases from litko Aerosystems.

I used to use the flat,plastic  60mm circle that GW produce but they've changed the packaging from a bag of 15 for £4.00 to a single one for £0.75 so I've moved on.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 01:34:44 PM »
I've been baseing my pulp character figs on Privateer bases and my military type NPC figs on round 40k style bases.  After finishing about 40 figs that way I have to say I hate it and I wish I had gone with washers and U.S. pennies instead.  The Privateer bases in particular are just too freakin big.  They look really nice when the mini is on the shelf or being photographed but on the table they are very intrusive.  They also cause problems with regular terrain features.  Since a lot of pulp games are more like streamlined RPGs a lot of the action will take place inside buildings or underground complexes and not in wide open fields.  That's where the big bases really become a problem.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 01:46:15 PM »
Quote from: "matakishi"
I hate slotta bases, they're too tall and make a figure top-heavy. I base on coins, a British 2 pence piece is 25mm across and costs less than a washer (they're also magnetic but I don't use this property)

If figures need to be ranked up or conform to a floor grid so that they require rectangular or square bases I cut them from 60thou plasticard or, for bigger bases, I buy circular plywood bases from litko Aerosystems.

I used to use the flat,plastic  60mm circle that GW produce but they've changed the packaging from a bag of 15 for £4.00 to a single one for £0.75 so I've moved on.

Hear Hear Ma\takishi One more reason to keep the great British Pound :mrgreen:  :wink:

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
Hear Hear Ma\takishi One more reason to keep the great British Pound :mrgreen:  :wink:

I hadn't considered that one.  I was all keen to move to the Euro, making cross Europe mini shopping easier for everyone.

But at the cost of my mini base supply?

I'll have to rethink my whole political outlook.  :lol:
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline poulppy

• Scientist
    • Flags
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 03:24:16 PM »
I use GW 25mm round bases for skirmish games and GW' like 20mm square bases for historicals big games (as WAB).

I used it because i can put a little magnet downside.

I begin to use washer for my WWII minis.
* Miniatures diary at aleaminiatures.blogspot.fr/
* Flags banners blog at  https://flagspennonsandbanners.blogspot.com/
* My Other blog on Helmets : attenti